robf

Coronavirus

2 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Warren, a friend of mine has passed away today with an underlying health problem. He was 57, I don’t know anything about you but I wouldn’t ignore it. When it’s somebody you know and I saw him delivering parcels ten days ago, it’s not worth taking any unnecessary risks. Three ppl are now fatherless and their mother passed away a couple of years ago.

I know a Vale Fan aged 82 who is hospital in ICU with the virus. His wife and two daughters (who helped him care for his dementia stricken wife ) all have high temps and are probably positive. Saying stuff it I’ll be OK is a bit daft. If you lose the gamble you could lose your life.

9 hours ago, tommytunstall said:

Anybody else brassed  off with the stupid questions the media ask at the Daily press conference;

1- Who is really in charge of Government when big decisions have to be made; well Raab in conjunction with the Cabinet and advisors.

2- When will the lockdown be wound down; saying as we haven't hit the peak yet, very premature and dangerous to be considering this yet.

Yes me it's driving me bonkers,celebrity journos, Peston and Kuennsberg asking the same dumb ass questions every day I think it's time for the government to do these press conferences once a week and to give statements every day instead.

It's not the questions that are daft but the responses to them.

We don't get a clear, honest answer from any of them. Gove and Rabb are yet to answer a question in a straightforward manner. 

No doubt they are trying to cover their tracks, not admit to any mistakes, and claim that they are all following the right advice - which is, to say the least, questionable. 

The questions will continue and so they should. We all need to hold the government accountable for its actions and press them for honesty and truthful answers rather than bluster and obfuscation. 

Just now, TheSage said:

We don't get a clear, honest answer from any of them. Gove and Rabb are yet to answer a question in a straightforward manner. 

No doubt they are trying to cover their tracks, not admit to any mistakes, and claim that they are all following the right advice - which is, to say the least, questionable. 

The questions will continue and so they should. We all need to hold the government accountable for its actions and press them for honesty and truthful answers rather than bluster and obfuscation. 

It is a hard time Sage. Now is not the time for political mud slinging. The UK is just typical at this point in time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheSage said:

So do you want Rabb to say "Well I reckon the lockdown will end on the 24 May at 9 am " and when it doesn't you have someone to kick and score a point over, what part of uncharted territory are you struggling with ? The time for questions is after the event when all the evidence is available.

You could on the other hand have a Trump style government  and get just any old pathetic answer, at least our politicians are listening to the science.

And are you saying the advice given by the scientists is wrong ?

Not sure how you can expect a direct answer to a Robert Peston essay of questions. The other day there must have been 5 or 6 "how is Boris" questions - it was garbage journalism.

I agree with the poster above, these daily briefings have run their course now. Lets do 1 or 2 a week unless there's a significant change in circumstances.

To be honest I don't give a rat's ass how Boris is. I don't wish him any harm but it's irrelevant. 

60,000,000 population, death rate pushing 1,000 per day and the best journalists can ask is how is Boris?..... on a national scale who gives a crap?

I'm more interested in how doctor Jane and nurse John are doing...... and all the other people we don't have scores of people waiting in the wings to jump into position as replacements.

The virus is an indiscriminate population killer..... it doesn't give a rat's ass about celebrity status or imagined importance ..... nor do I.

I'm far more interested in old Joe, the asthmatic,  who lives in the care home down the street or aunty Jane who has cancer.

Are we so shallow we think because a lot of people know who someone is they become immune ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

The honest answer mate is that they dont know...... the only honest answer they can give is that they simply dont know...... they only have guesstimates.

They only have the number of reported deaths.

They only have the number of cases tested.

Should they have stockpiled 60,000,000 plus test kits for a virus that didn't exist a few weeks ago? Or a few hundred thousand ventilators just in case? Perhaps rationing of bog rolls should have been introduced last June in case there was a run on them?

The honest answers are..... there is a virus killing mostly over 60s...... we don't have a cure...... it's transmitted by people..... some people with a minimum number of brain cells think it won't affect them..... a significant number of the general public are a bit dim..... a large number of people are scared.

My advice would be simple..... don't be scared..... be careful. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheSage said:

Or maybe they are asking questions that are impossible to answer with an degree of accuracy.

I think you have to look at China and the WHO before, quite rightly, criticising the UK government.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/who-haunted-by-old-tweet-saying-china-found-no-human-transmission-of-coronavirus/

14 January, China and WHO were claiming the virus wasn't able to transmit between humans.

https://www.who.int/news-room/articles-detail/updated-who-recommendations-for-international-traffic-in-relation-to-covid-19-outbreak

29 February and still up on the WHO website, they're saying no reason to stop flights. So the government is following WHO advice by keeping airports open.

Where the government went wrong was by not doing anywhere near enough testing and by not screening people returning from China, Italy, Iran etc. Because of this the virus has gotten a huge infection rate and will take a massive effort to get back under control. Seen as Wuhan had a three month lockdown, let's hope that by June we can get back to something approaching normality (though I still think big gatherings won't be happening and so football matches will be taking place behind closed doors).

Also the lockdown didn't happen soon enough, because the screening and testing wasn't happening, and also the doomed and short-lived herd immunity experiment.

Even without accurate covid 19 tests there was nothing stopping the government putting very much pre-existing temperature checking technology up and airports and the underground etc. Then they could see anyone with a fever, deny them access (or take them to quarantine at an airport) and tell them to go home and self isolate.

Even with a decade of austerity and limited public spending I'm sure they could have done the above and I'm not sure they are even doing it now.

• Like 1

Can you imagine what it would have been like if we had had this sort of media scrutiny during WW2?  Winston can you give us a date when these air raids on London will stop?  Do you not think that Dunkirk could have been avoided if we had come to terms with Hitler?  When you you expect us to launch an invasion of Europe?  Etc. We’d have lost the bloody war!

• Like 3

To stop all this stupid speculation,, don't know why the Government don't extend lockdown for a further 3 weeks, then the media can go on to another stupid question. We cannot afford to ease off yet.

Judging by comments made by health experts and scientists i’d expect months rather than weeks before any lift of restrictions. The people asking the question  “When?” need to have a word with themselves.

• Confused 1

Greater Manchester Police has warned people not to breach lockdown rules over Easter after it had to break up 660 parties 

There were 1,132 coronavirus-related breaches reported between Saturday and Tuesday, the force said.

That included 494 house parties - some with DJs, fireworks and bouncy castles - and 166 street parties.

It's to much to hope that ALL the idiots are in Manchester 

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Can you imagine what it would have been like if we had had this sort of media scrutiny during WW2?  Winston can you give us a date when these air raids on London will stop?  Do you not think that Dunkirk could have been avoided if we had come to terms with Hitler?  When you you expect us to launch an invasion of Europe?  Etc. We’d have lost the bloody war!

The main difference is that we are not in a war where someone else is pulling  levers as well , but at the mercy of a virus where our politicians are in control of the levers. Competence and understanding of the situation are in short supply. I will be very surprised if any semblance of normality returns by next Spring.

1 hour ago, tommytunstall said:

To stop all this stupid speculation,, don't know why the Government don't extend lockdown for a further 3 weeks, then the media can go on to another stupid question. We cannot afford to ease off yet.

There is no speculation.  The current lockdown is due for a review on Monday.

Our media likes to believe they are in control, forcing the issue all the time.

They are currently behaving in a disgusting manner.

21 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

The main difference is that we are not in a war where someone else is pulling  levers as well , but at the mercy of a virus where our politicians are in control of the levers. Competence and understanding of the situation are in short supply. I will be very surprised if any semblance of normality returns by next Spring.

We are dealing with a complete unknown, the government is not in control of the virus.  The virus is not conscious and no amount of media <ovf censored> is going to change the fact that we cant hide from it forever.  

Competence and understanding of the situation are in short supply, but not for the reasons you insinuate.  It's simply because it's new and the human race are Covid19 virgins so it's a blank canvas for the spread of it.  As more of us become immune that spread will dissipate.

At the moment, if I am likely to infect 2 or 3 other people who do the same and very quickly 1000s are infected from me.  If one of those people is immune, then that's halved the spread, and if that keeps happening the chances of somebody with the virus coming into contact with people who are not immune diminishes until eventually it's a relatively rare illness to catch...

The trick is to keep the numbers requiring treatment below the capacity available, that's always been the trick and so far they seem to be doing just that.

When will it end?  When that capacity has plenty of head room. 

When will that be?  When more of us are immune.

What people are really asking is when will they be able to go the pub again...  the answer is probably September, but retail will re open long before that.

Schools?  They would probably like to get them back for the second half of summer term but teachers will kick back on that so it wont happen.

Edited by Nofinikea

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Exactly,imagine in the run up to the Battle of Britain.

"How can we be expected to win this critical battle when we have only 1,960 aircraft and the Germans have 2,519"?

Personally I would not compare this to WW2 for some of the reasons Fosse mentions but if you want to persist with the analogy I look forward to the war tribunal sometime next year. 😉

39 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Personally I would not compare this to WW2 for some of the reasons Fosse mentions but if you want to persist with the analogy I look forward to the war tribunal sometime next year. 😉

I wasn't comparing the pandemic to the war, I was comparing the reaction of the media to it, Sage.

Have read of this and weep.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-52221688