Coronavirus

robf

19 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

The virtue signalling is strong in Vegas! Most people just listen to what they are told and follow.  If people really looked into the effectiveness of masks, they wouldn't bother.  Once a few people drop them, they will go off a cliff edge as people feel emboldened.  

Obviously people have drawn their own conclusions and realised it is not safe to go around uncovered. I do not expect the penny to drop in LV land.

I think the only way many will stop is once people realise wearing a mask in tescos and/or a pub for such trivial amounts of time makes very little difference and has no bearing on cases going up or down, but on that the majority won't link it with the daily figures they see on BBC/ITV/Sky even if cases suddenly went down in the next few weeks! 

I can possibly understand their effectiveness for workers in care and health settings but beyond that the evidence is sketchy at best. Each to their own though.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

The virtue signalling is strong in Vegas! Most people just listen to what they are told and follow.  If people really looked into the effectiveness of masks, they wouldn't bother.  Once a few people drop them, they will go off a cliff edge as people feel emboldened.  

One thing that has puzzled me about mask wearing.  If it is ineffective, why do medical professionals wear them in hospitals?  You'd think they'd know.

1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

One thing that has puzzled me about mask wearing.  If it is ineffective, why do medical professionals wear them in hospitals?  You'd think they'd know.

To stop spit going into open wounds and vice versa.  Plus, they wear well fitted, medical grade masks that are disposed after each use, not a scabby bit of cloth from aunties old bloomers that's been kept in someone's pocket for 12 months. 

As I said before up until 12 months ago the advice from leading health institutions was that masks don't prevent the spread of transmission.  Miraculously a few modelled scenarios came out and now they're the invisible force field.  The only real world study conducted, from actual real people, found no benefit to the wearer or anyone around them. 

Note the language of politicians when talking about them. It's all they 'give people reassurance '. The ultimate placebo. 

As with many people, you've probably not bothered to look into the papers supporting mask wearing to show how flimsy it is.  There's actually more evidence coming out that mask wearing is potentially harmful but again you won't have bothered.  People never do, just accept what they're told like good little citizens. 

12 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

To stop spit going into open wounds and vice versa.  Plus, they wear well fitted, medical grade masks that are disposed after each use, not a scabby bit of cloth from aunties old bloomers that's been kept in someone's pocket for 12 months. 

As I said before up until 12 months ago the advice from leading health institutions was that masks don't prevent the spread of transmission.  Miraculously a few modelled scenarios came out and now they're the invisible force field.  The only real world study conducted, from actual real people, found no benefit to the wearer or anyone around them. 

Note the language of politicians when talking about them. It's all they 'give people reassurance '. The ultimate placebo. 

As with many people, you've probably not bothered to look into the papers supporting mask wearing to show how flimsy it is.  There's actually more evidence coming out that mask wearing is potentially harmful but again you won't have bothered.  People never do, just accept what they're told like good little citizens. 

I resent the implication in your last paragraph. 

1 hour ago, tommytunstall said:

If the Government are so clued up on this, then it is certainly not apparent. In fact it is a shambles.

How is it a shambles? 
They have got to find the divide between protecting people and keeping the country afloat 

So far mainly thanks to the vaccine working they ain’t don’t that bad they have certainly helped most financially while keeping deaths at a low level 

1 minute ago, leedsvaliant said:

I resent the fact that people haven't bothered to question anything over the past 16 months.  

That is a ludicrous generalisation.  The sort of statement that makes any further discussion with you pointless.

33 minutes ago, sunny boslem said:

How is it a shambles? 
They have got to find the divide between protecting people and keeping the country afloat 

So far mainly thanks to the vaccine working they ain’t don’t that bad they have certainly helped most financially while keeping deaths at a low level 

Keeping deaths at a low level-wrong. The vaccine is a success story. Then there is the shambles of PPE, to late on both lockdowns, far to late to shut down travellers from India. And the unashamed cronyism and sleaze. In my 70plus years I have voted for some Tory governments, not this one, it is run on bluff and b———-t.  The like of Johnson, Patel, Gove, Mogg, Jenrick are not trustworthy. Oh for an effective opposition.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

That is a ludicrous generalisation.  The sort of statement that makes any further discussion with you pointless.

Fair enough. It's true for most of the population though.  Even the MP for north stoke, whose job it is to understand everything about this pandemic, did not have a clue about anything, figures, previous models, mask efficacy and he is the one voting for things on our behalf. 

If you asked anyone in Trent Vale this morning if they'd ever looked into it, I can guarantee that 90% wouldn't have a clue.  Just following orders guv.  

I'm not saying you haven't looked into things, you may well have done, but you can bet the vast majority don't have a clue.  Whether you agree with the reaction to this pandemic or not, to not even question it is laziness and apathy. 

44 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

Fair enough. It's true for most of the population though.  Even the MP for north stoke, whose job it is to understand everything about this pandemic, did not have a clue about anything, figures, previous models, mask efficacy and he is the one voting for things on our behalf. 

If you asked anyone in Trent Vale this morning if they'd ever looked into it, I can guarantee that 90% wouldn't have a clue.  Just following orders guv.  

I'm not saying you haven't looked into things, you may well have done, but you can bet the vast majority don't have a clue.  Whether you agree with the reaction to this pandemic or not, to not even question it is laziness and apathy. 

Perhaps it’s laziness and apathy on your part in following your denial path. It’s common sense that wearing a mask stops you spreading and inhaling particles. Your comments re Trent Vale are disrespectful but perhaps not surprising. As for the MP for Stoke North what dealings I have had with him do not inspire me with confidence.

I'm in Torquay for a few glorious days. Wore mine to get on an open top bus but then put it in my pocket. 

Went into a Wilko to get some water and went maskless, almost felt like a leper doing so but I'd say it was a 60/40 split in favour of a mask. I think it's going to be a while before people are truly happy to discard but I've made a personal choice that double jabbed and tested twice a week for my job I'm as low risk as I can possibly be to anyone else. 

If I'm asked to wear one I have one ready in my pocket and there'll be no angst about doing so . 

However I shall be proceeding with caution as a maskless wonder.

My parents who I visit regularly are both double jabbed in their 80's and ditching the masks unless asked to wear one. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

Perhaps it’s laziness and apathy on your part in following your denial path. It’s common sense that wearing a mask stops you spreading and inhaling particles. Your comments re Trent Vale are disrespectful but perhaps not surprising. As for the MP for Stoke North what dealings I have had with him do not inspire me with confidence.

Sorry but common sense is not scientific.  Just because you think it sounds right doesn't mean that it is.  I'm also not singling out Trent Vale in particular, much of the country and indeed the world is apathetic.  They'll watch the BBC and accept de facto everything that is said.  I've already highlighted two stories which at the best were pushing the truth and at worst downright lies to deliberately mislead. 

I'll guarantee I'm not lazy.  I've looked at both sides of the argument from the beginning and have read a lot from both sides.  I find the most persuasive argument to be that we have drastically scared people for a nasty but not unprecedented virus, fuelled by governments following each other and social media and the media fuelling the fire.  

And for the stop testing and this ends now approach too. I have an idea. Why don't we stop recording deaths and then not only is covid over but we will have mastered immortality finally. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WV said:

And for the stop testing and this ends now approach too. I have an idea. Why don't we stop recording deaths and then not only is covid over but we will have mastered immortality finally. 

Stop being facetious.  We're testing people who are not ill and therefore not a driver of transmission!

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

LV, you may have mentioned this earlier in the thread but what is your job/qualifications that makes you an expert on coronavirus and its prevention/control?

No real expertise in this area apart from a lot of reading.  As with anybody including politicians, I rely on experts in these areas to inform me of what and why.  Mainly epidemiology or health experts and not the bunch of psychologists on SAGE.  You also don't need to be an expert to look at statistics and make a judgement.