robf

Coronavirus

Data is beginning to emerge suggesting areas/countries with more air pollution are being linked to higher death rates from the SARS-Cov-19 virus.  Higher air pollution is known to be associated with some of the risk factors for COVID-19, eg  Respiratory and Cardiovascuar disease etc.

25 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Data is beginning to emerge suggesting areas/countries with more air pollution are being linked to higher death rates from the SARS-Cov-19 virus.  Higher air pollution is known to be associated with some of the risk factors for COVID-19, eg  Respiratory and Cardiovascuar disease etc.

London and the West Midlands.

45 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Goes some way in explaining the 6,000 deaths in Lombardy,Italy then?

7 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Bears are shitting in woods then Prof?

Edited by toyahw

50 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Surely China hugely underreported their figures?

Of course. But this may not be a conspiracy thing. To be kind, it  would have taken  time to find a test. But yes for sure massively under reported. A factor of ten or so...

Doesn't change the fact that given ample warning Europe has managed to screw it up big style.

Edited by toyahw

Shocking lazy attitude to be honest. It was clear to anyone with half a brain cell that this was a major problem months ago. Did nothing. Sadly people are now paying the price - with their lives.

• Like 1

Jeremy Hunt keeps harping on about how the government did things too late or are doing things wrong
Turns out that about 4 years ago there was a massive review on effect of a pandemic and showed that we were totally unprepared- the report was withheld because it was felt it would be too scary for the public
Health Secretary at the time - Jeremy Hunt !

That's one of my criticisms too, Toyah. I think everyone has now recognised the severity of the problem across the world but it's taken a long time for most countries to wake up and start belatedly to address the issue. Around the time northern Italy was in lock-down we were encouraging the go ahead for all sporting fixtures, concerts, theatres and pubs, and schools were all open. Apart form the shocking fact that we were letting people walk straight in here from Italy and China without being stopped and checked. Flights are still arriving from New York. I just don't get it.

It's looking like we need to test and trace a lot more people (goodness knows why we are not doing that either), ensure that everyone in the NHS has the right equipment, all of us stay at home, and hope that this buys us time to find a vaccine. But it isn't going to be easy or pleasant. Flu I think still kills 17,000 a year in the UK - and we know all about that and have a jab for it! This is far worse.

There are some brilliant scientists out there all over the world and hopefully someone, somewhere can come up with a vaccine before the year is out.

4 hours ago, TheSage said:

That's one of my criticisms too, Toyah. I think everyone has now recognised the severity of the problem across the world but it's taken a long time for most countries to wake up and start belatedly to address the issue. Around the time northern Italy was in lock-down we were encouraging the go ahead for all sporting fixtures, concerts, theatres and pubs, and schools were all open. Apart form the shocking fact that we were letting people walk straight in here from Italy and China without being stopped and checked. Flights are still arriving from New York. I just don't get it.

It's looking like we need to test and trace a lot more people (goodness knows why we are not doing that either), ensure that everyone in the NHS has the right equipment, all of us stay at home, and hope that this buys us time to find a vaccine. But it isn't going to be easy or pleasant. Flu I think still kills 17,000 a year in the UK - and we know all about that and have a jab for it! This is far worse.

There are some brilliant scientists out there all over the world and hopefully someone, somewhere can come up with a vaccine before the year is out.

I would be very surprised if flu kills 17000 a year in UK. 

26 minutes ago, WV said:

I would be very surprised if flu kills 17000 a year in UK. 

That's the average figure published by Public Health England.

48 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

That's the average figure published by Public Health England.

I recently read an article stating that the government routinely lied about flu death figure. 

The figure for last year was 1692. That seems much more realistic. 

Edited by WV

Those saying there should be more testing done, and more PPE ,the kits aren't readily available and according to The Guardian the Spanish and Dutch have turned to the Chinese, the paper reports

" Spain on Friday withdrew 58,000 Chinese-made coronavirus testing kits on discovering that they had an accuracy rate of just 30%, the Netherlands – which has recorded 771 deaths, with more than 10,000 confirmed cases – on Sunday recalled 600,000 Chinese face masks that were also found to be defective "

You could be tested at 9.00am and be clear....... test again at 10.00am and fail.

The only way to do it effectively is to test everyone initially....

All the positives don't need testing again.

All the negatives test daily.

An unconfirmed report from China some days ago suggests that after recovery people still tested positive but may not be infectious..... anyone's guess

1 hour ago, WV said:

I recently read an article stating that the government routinely lied about flu death figure. 

The figure for last year was 1692. That seems much more realistic. 

And why would they do that?

The flu kills the vulnerable. That's why we have flu vaccines.

The average figure for flu deaths between 2014 and 2019 is 17,000. 

It was a lot lower last year but as high as 28,000 in 2014.

A lot depends on the severity of the winter and how many have the free flu jab that is routinely offered to everyone over 65 and all others in a high risk group.

But as Wrex says, it is a killer disease.