robf

Coronavirus

10 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

A couple of days ago, I posted a video describing the conditions in the Wuhan wet market where Covid-19 first appeared. Since then, I came across this, which describes them in even greater detail and with some graphic photos and video (please do not watch if you are squeamish about animal cruelty).

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11264885/china-wet-markets-coronavirus-world-knees/

These practices, enshrined in Chinese law, need to be stopped.

In case any one thinks I have a particular beef (so to speak) with the Chinese, try this about Deer Wasting Disease from USA Today. It concerns  a known pathogen that causes a neurological disease for which there is no vaccine and no cure. The virus is so robust, it has been heat-treated at 1000C and survived. It has yet to make the transition from deer to humans but it is only a matter of time - the next accident waiting to happen:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2019/02/16/zombie-deer-chronic-wasting-disease-could-affect-humans/2882550002/

The point to all this is that the world has a serious problem with these practices. While its attention is gripped by this, we need to lobby the WHO to ensure that internationally agreed standards of food hygiene and production are in place before we have yet another wholly avoidable pandemic. We are going to pay a terrible price for these vile zoonotic culinary practices unless concerted action is taken. Interestingly, the USA Today article was published in December - just before Corvid-19 sprang to life. Sadly prophetic.

I feel the same way as you know but it has to be a concerted effort by the whole world, an independent body with real power and not just focused on China although that country would be the start, but the MERS Virus came out of the Middle East, Ebola and HIV out of Africa and the West isn't immune either.

How to get the Communist government of China to change it's ways will be a major problem.

It isn't just viruses, the increasing existence of antibiotic resistant bacteria is testimony of mutation to survive.  Hospitals already try to discharge patients asap because of the risk of contracting an infection. A concerted approach by the Pharmaceutical  Industry, Universities and Governments to partly fund the effort is an absolute must. People who work to discover new anti-bacterial drugs have been saying this for ca 30 years at least.

This SARS-Cov-19 pandemic is a huge make-up call in so many ways.

• Like 1

This is might  appear racist, but it is not, just an observation. Having gone on holiday to the Maldives for the last fifteen years Chinese visitors are generally very disrespectful of the environment. Stand  on the reefs and so.  And spit a lot.  Apparently spitting is a part of their  culture.

I am sure they are very nice people. But their  behaviour in the Maldives is pretty poor to be honest.

I don't see it as racist, just factual.

They don't seem to have the same social graces we tend to expect in the West..... Although I have a certain prejudice.....  My third wife was half Chinese...... I have encountered many here and other places over the years.

As a whole they don’t respect others or the world they live in. If you go to China you will find they are very rude, not in a nasty way, just oblivious to others  and they don’t take their face out of their mobile phone which is a pain when you are walking down the street trying to avoid the locals as they walk along in their own bubble. Alongside the Koreans they are years ahead when it comes to technology but years behind when it comes to general standards.

I see that renowned left wing publication, The Lancet has been highly critical of the governments response to the crisis, which has left the NHS dangerously unprepared for the "chaos and panic" that is about to hit it.

We should be thankful that the football authorities acted when they did as the government still had their heads in the sand over this,  

1 hour ago, bycars rob said:

I see that renowned left wing publication, The Lancet has been highly critical of the governments response to the crisis, which has left the NHS dangerously unprepared for the "chaos and panic" that is about to hit it.

We should be thankful that the football authorities acted when they did as the government still had their heads in the sand over this,  

Shutting down a few sports is a damned sight different than shutting down a country.

Have the government made all the right decisions at the right time? It's doubtful but then it's not something that's happened before.

2 hours ago, bycars rob said:

The editor of the Lancet, Richard Horton, was on Question Time on Thursday expressing these views.  Yet this is what he was saying in the last week of January:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZacGoldsmith/status/1243315992459182082

Horton was also responsible for publishing Andrew Wakefield's self-serving rubbish about the link between the MMR vaccine and autism in 1998.  Wakefield was later struck off and Horton was one of the last to accept he had been hoodwinked.  He is not the most reliable source of information.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, toyahw said:

This is might  appear racist, but it is not, just an observation. Having gone on holiday to the Maldives for the last fifteen years Chinese visitors are generally very disrespectful of the environment. Stand  on the reefs and so.  And spit a lot.  Apparently spitting is a part of their  culture.

I am sure they are very nice people. But their  behaviour in the Maldives is pretty poor to be honest.

Spitting is a part of their culture? They'd fit in well on a football pitch then

One of the key questions coming out of this terrible crisis is how well prepared nations have been to cope with catastrophic global biomedical events. In late 2019, ironically just before the corona virus infection emerged, Johns Hopkins University and the Economist Intelligence Unit published an in-depth report on the readiness of the world's nations to deal with such a crisis. The report was authored by scientists from the University's Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Its conclusion was that no country was fully prepared for epidemics or pandemics and that, collectively, international preparedness was weak. It then went on to list the readiness of individual nations based on the evidence it had collated. The list covers 196 countries and the top five are:

1. USA 

2. UK

3. Netherlands

4. Australia

5. Canada

Overall, the average state of readiness was 40.2%, a frighteningly low score. 

One of the things that occurred to me was that, however bad it might seem here, we are in a so much better position than many, many other countries and we should count our blessings. Imagine being in some of the poorer countries of the world, like many in Africa or Asia where preparedness is below 20%. Those poor people do not stand a chance if they become infected with this dreadful virus.

This is huge wake up call, which hopefully will result in an equally huge paradigm shift when the dust finally settles.

https://www.ghsindex.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/2019-Global-Health-Security-Index.pdf

Edited by CambridgeDon

Perhaps countries should be looking at more government sponsored biomedical research rather than relying too much on pharmaceutical companies. 

3 hours ago, Doha said:

Hey Dogshit, how yer doing, not to well I see 'cause it appears you can't hear or understand or both.

If you trust the writings and cherry picks of a left wing journalist employed by CNN,  one of the most left wing media outlets there is then you're a bigger dhead than I thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CambridgeDon said:

One of the key questions coming out of this terrible crisis is how well prepared nations have been to cope with catastrophic global biomedical events. In late 2019, ironically just before the corona virus infection emerged, Johns Hopkins University and the Economist Intelligence Unit published an in-depth report on the readiness of the world's nations to deal with such a crisis. The report was authored by scientists from the University's Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Its conclusion was that no country was fully prepared for epidemics or pandemics and that, collectively, international preparedness was weak. It then went on to list the readiness of individual nations based on the evidence it had collated. The list covers 196 countries and the top five are:

1. USA 

2. UK

3. Netherlands

4. Australia

5. Canada

One of the things that occurred to me was that, however bad it might seem here, we are in a so much better position than many, many other countries and we should count our blessings. Imagine being in some of the poorer countries of the world, like many in Africa or Asia where preparedness is below 20%. Those poor people do not stand a chance if they become infected with this dreadful virus.

This is huge wake up call, which hopefully will result in an equally huge paradigm shift when the dust finally settles.

https://www.ghsindex.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/2019-Global-Health-Security-Index.pdf

Surprisingly Italy,Spain,Germany and France are not on the list,despite having many more cases than the UK so far?

2 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Surprisingly Italy,Spain,Germany and France are not on the list,despite having many more cases than the UK so far?

In the full list covering overall readiness, France ranks 11th, Germany 14th, Spain 15th and Italy 31st. China ranks 51st.

2 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

1. USA 

2. UK

3. Netherlands

4. Australia

5. Canada

Italy scores poorly doesn’t it?

2 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

3. Netherlands

Doesn't feel like it here at the moment. The debate is exactly the same as in the UK to be honest. Amazingly enough the Dutch are big skiers. So much so they put on special flights to return the injured every winter.

Those returning from Italy when the <ovf censored> hit the fan they were basically told to just carry on. Unless they were at death's door. 

At the same time my wife was organizing the emergency evacuation of their staff from Milan.

To this day loads of flights from the US coming into Schiphol.

Edited by toyahw

It sees to be hitting Russia, a worshiper in a packed Church said there was no danger of catching the virus there because it was a religious building, her occupation ?.....................A Doctor.

The USA had  a pandemic response team responsible for co-ordinating a national response but it was disbanded by the Trump administration in 2018 .

Of course it won`t be his responsibility as the buck doesn`t stop with him.