Coronavirus

robf

Interviews with two doctors and a professor of immunology. I suspect I'll give slightly more weighting to their words than a crackpot blog run by anti lockdown zealots (see what I did there?) 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55635451
I'm sure that this has long term effects just like many viruses have on people. It can take months to get over glandular fever for example.There's a couple of issues I have with the theory of long Covid:
1) How can it be classified as 'long' when most people have only had the virus fairly recently anyway?
2) I know many people who play up to the fact that they have had an illness and then go full hypochondriac, saying they still don't 'feel' right. There's potential more psychological than actual physical ailments going on. Munchausen isn't it called? Seems a bit harsh I know.

I'm not saying that this doesn't or won't have very serious long term effects on people, but it's a little bit early to draw conclusions.
  • Confused 1

Advert:

And you were saying 99% of people infected make a full recovery when it is far less.
 And you were saying that the average deaths was 600 when it was 800. 
Seems like you get your "facts" wrong quite often. Maybe in such a serious debate it might be useful if you brought the truth with you and not over inflated numbers to make your argument look like a meaningful one. 
Thanks 
I believe I said 99% of all the population haven't died, not those that are infected(it's actually more like 99.8%). Although I do believe that even if you are over 80 or clinically vulnerable the chances of you actually dying are not that great, certainly not the death sentence that some people believe it to be ( we never hear the recovery figures..funny that isn't it?). If you are under 60 and in good health, there's virtually zero chance of you dying (387 I think the figure was).

7 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

076AF0FF-58D8-467F-A363-5CF5B3460E9B.jpeg

The company say it's a 5 day supply not 10 days......

I would ask what the 5 meals would consist of. I can't see 5 meals.

Kids shouldn't go hungry. Whichever way you decide to tackle the problem you have to do it right. This is abysmally wrong.

As for £10 + for delivery and packaging... really?

It's not the most difficult task in the world..... but it's become another balls up.... there are 2 possible solutions.

1) schools feed them.... 2) parents feed them.

Whichever is chosen they have to have the means to do it.

You’ve been very vague with why you believe they have done it. Incompetence, concerned with here and now, don’t want to look bad. But you also say that they are going to keep using lockdowns in the future. Why? You actually believe we will get back to normal in the summer but they will introduce another lockdown in the winter. You’re reasoning makes no sense or you’re missing bits out that you believe. And you seem to have already made your mind up that the vaccine won’t work. Why?
I believe it because it's actually what Chris Witty said. He said we may need to have restrictions in place next winter! Why? If the vaccine works, which I hope it will, then why on earth would we need measures next winter? And then why not the winter after that and so on?

I fear that the currently (in the main) very compliant and patient nation would be apoplectic if that were the case. Because if the vaccines aren't the way out then what is?

Even the old and vulnerable will be thinking (and I've heard this said already) 'I haven't got long left, I might as well live rather than just merely exist. If I do catch the virus then it's not a 100% chance of death', I believe it's beyond 80% chance of survival, even in the most vulnerable categories, but I'm not totally sure on those figures. I do know the odds are pretty good even for the worst affected.

Advert:

That's an unanswerable question/statement I hope we never have to confront.
It's the thing that frightens me the most to be honest. At some point there has to be a line drawn in the sand that says 'enough ' and we have to accept that there will still be deaths, just as we do with flu. We can't just merely exist forever and both old and young I think would agree to that.

43 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

I'm sure that this has long term effects just like many viruses have on people. It can take months to get over glandular fever for example.There's a couple of issues I have with the theory of long Covid:
1) How can it be classified as 'long' when most people have only had the virus fairly recently anyway?
2) I know many people who play up to the fact that they have had an illness and then go full hypochondriac, saying they still don't 'feel' right. There's potential more psychological than actual physical ailments going on. Munchausen isn't it called? Seems a bit harsh I know.

I'm not saying that this doesn't or won't have very serious long term effects on people, but it's a little bit early to draw conclusions.

Oh come on. That is absolutely ludicrous. Discounting it with a reference to Munchhausens syndrome, really? 🤣

These are all doctors, and a pharmacist who have been diagnosed with it - are they faking?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-im-38-and-i-cant-walk-unaided-young-medics-describe-horrendous-effects-of-long-covid-12186128

COVID19 was in the UK in January, possibly earlier. It's certainly isn't too early to draw conclusions. Here is a lady who got the virus in March and was suffering from long Covid as of September, 6 months later.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-54106272

This study in the lancet at T+6 months showed very concerning long term sequelae from the original viral illness. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-67362032656-8/fulltext

Your immediate jump to denial of any indication that this pandemic viral illness is serious is very, very odd. 

If you feel that safe why don't you join the rest of us and register as NHS volunteer responder, or as a volunteer testing/vaccine warden. You think you're immune from serious illness, remember? Definitely won't be affected. Go muck in then. 

Edited by Doha
  • Like 1

If the general public are expected to follow the rules the rules have to be as simple as possible and crystal clear.

Everyone must wear a mask...... is a simple enough rule on the surface.... when you throw in exemptions it starts to get cloudy.

If you have a medical reason not to wear a mask you are exempt...... however.... the police, security or staff can not make you prove you have an exemption, you simply have to state you have one. 

If the shop refuses you service because you don't wear a mask it could be discrimination. If the police arrest you or impose a penalty for not wearing a mask it could be far more serious.

That's a simple rule made complicated by enforcement. 

6 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

Another massive statement with zero evidence and nothing to back yourself up. Is your lack of sources or evidence for your big claims here because we all know the source is going to be a dodgy blog?

6 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

I believe it because it's actually what Chris Witty said. He said we may need to have restrictions in place next winter! Why? If the vaccine works, which I hope it will, then why on earth would we need measures next winter? And then why not the winter after that and so on?

I fear that the currently (in the main) very compliant and patient nation would be apoplectic if that were the case. Because if the vaccines aren't the way out then what is?

Even the old and vulnerable will be thinking (and I've heard this said already) 'I haven't got long left, I might as well live rather than just merely exist. If I do catch the virus then it's not a 100% chance of death', I believe it's beyond 80% chance of survival, even in the most vulnerable categories, but I'm not totally sure on those figures. I do know the odds are pretty good even for the worst affected.

Completely missed my point. Why would the government do that though? After everything has opened up and gone back to normal, any lockdown again? What’s the motivation! They are no longer ‘in too deep’, as you say. Again, your reasoning here is missing a piece of the jigsaw, and it makes me question that perhaps you aren’t saying everything you believe because you know it’s going to sound silly. Especially given the website you get your information from. 

Advert:

Completely missed my point. Why would the government do that though? After everything has opened up and gone back to normal, any lockdown again? What’s the motivation! They are no longer ‘in too deep’, as you say. Again, your reasoning here is missing a piece of the jigsaw, and it makes me question that perhaps you aren’t saying everything you believe because you know it’s going to sound silly. Especially given the website you get your information from. 
Then why would the CMO say it?

Oh come on. That is absolutely ludicrous. Discounting it with a reference to Munchhausens syndrome, really? 
These are all doctors, and a pharmacist who have been diagnosed with it - are they faking?
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-im-38-and-i-cant-walk-unaided-young-medics-describe-horrendous-effects-of-long-covid-12186128
COVID19 was in the UK in January, possibly earlier. It's certainly isn't too early to draw conclusions. Here is a lady who got the virus in March and was suffering from long Covid as of September, 6 months later.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-54106272
This study in the lancet at T+6 months showed very concerning long term sequelae from the original viral illness. 
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-67362032656-8/fulltext
Your immediate jump to denial of any indication that this pandemic viral illness is serious is very, very odd. 
If you feel that safe why don't you join the rest of us and register as NHS volunteer responder, or as a volunteer testing/vaccine warden. You think you're immune from serious illness, remember? Definitely won't be affected. Go muck in then. 
Like I said, we'll wait and see. If in a years time there are hundreds of thousands of people who have got life changing disability from this then I will hold my hands up and say I got it wrong. Way too early to draw conclusions that this is a long term and widespread problem. Trouble is that the hysteria has reached new heights, so people are going to be scared.

Additionally , I know it is serious for a certain demographic. I'm not a denier or heartless. I'm just trying to get some perspective, which seems to have been lost in the hysteria.

lv what you are doing is actually dangerous. You are spreading misinformation based on movable facts and very dodgy sources.  You exaggerate numbers to sound more shocking. Your explanation for long covid is straight outta harplands.  

What is your motive? Why are you doing your part to ensure the lockdown is extended? Would you act differently if you were in the demographic most at risk? 

• Like 1

lv what you are doing is actually dangerous. You are spreading misinformation based on movable facts and very dodgy sources.  You exaggerate numbers to sound more shocking. Your explanation for long covid is straight outta harplands.  
What is your motive? Why are you doing your part to ensure the lockdown is extended? Would you act differently if you were in the demographic most at risk? 
No, I wouldn't, because I understand risk. Any deviation from the BBC news is always denounced as dangerous, crackpot, heartless, selfish. It's classic divide and conquer and people never want to argue about the vast damage that lockdown causes. Probably because they know it's true.

Advert:

It's the thing that frightens me the most to be honest. At some point there has to be a line drawn in the sand that says 'enough ' and we have to accept that there will still be deaths, just as we do with flu. We can't just merely exist forever and both old and young I think would agree to that.
Covid will be around for ever, it is a matter of finding an acceptable death rate as with flu. Unfortunately Covid has long standing consequences that people who survived it 9 months ago are well aware of. Unfortunately we do not have the medical capacity to deal with the situation or a Government that can plan anything but only react after the event.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

Like I said, we'll wait and see. If in a years time there are hundreds of thousands of people who have got life changing disability from this then I will hold my hands up and say I got it wrong. Way too early to draw conclusions that this is a long term and widespread problem. Trouble is that the hysteria has reached new heights, so people are going to be scared.

Additionally , I know it is serious for a certain demographic. I'm not a denier or heartless. I'm just trying to get some perspective, which seems to have been lost in the hysteria.

Love how you’ve now gone to the extreme of long term symptoms being a life changing disability....

The reason vulnerable and elderly people are scared is because this virus is killing them. It’s as simple as that. It’s not an overreaction.