• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Coronavirus

robf

19 hours ago, newchapel valiant said:

What proof have you got. Go on share it. 

NV, Even on the BBC website virologists share the information, if I had access to the Chemical Abstracts Service it would be  easy to find the original article describing this, all I have is Google.

From the BBC article. "One mutation called N501Y alters the most important part of the spike". What this means is at position 501 of the amino acid sequence of the viral protein the Amino acid Asparagine (letter code N) has been changed to the amino acid Tyrosine (Letter code Y), this is a result of the viruses own RNA being mis-copied and hence new mutation formed.

Also on the spike protein there is also an additional mutation "A H69/V70 deletion". What this means is the amino acids Histidine (Letter code H) at position 69 of the sequence and the amino acid Valine (Letter code V) have been deleted, they're not there, again because the RNA of the virus was mis-read and hence a new variant (Mutation) has formed.

The reason this variant has got attention is the mutations are in the spike protein which the virus uses to bind to the ACE2 protein on human cells in the lungs/nose etc and it appears from initial data to be more contagious but it doesn't appear to be any more lethal. As I said previously I hope the vaccines  are still efficacious and they should be as long as these changes to the amino acid sequence don't interfere with antibody binding.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55388846

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-55404988

https://virological.org/t/preliminary-genomic-characterisation-of-an-emergent-sars-cov-2-lineage-in-the-uk-defined-by-a-novel-set-of-spike-mutations/563

Advert:

On 22/12/2020 at 10:20, bycars rob said:

I can`t believe how reluctant the government has been to recommend this as it has been an obvious correlation from very early in this pandemic. Dr John Campbell has been tearing his hair out(he hasn`t got much) on youtube for 9 months about this and the evidence has been growing in favour of it.

I mentioned vitamin D as being a useful deterrent very early doors on this forum and got shot down by the anti government conspiracy theorists on this thread.

As I said at the time...there was a larger than proportion amount of black people dying from Covid in the U.K. yet supposedly a low case of fatalities in Africa. Black people in Europe along with diabetics suffer with vitamin D deficiency 

Piers Corbyn wandering round London last night after organising the party of all parties with 1k of his looney supporters, denouncing the government and saying  Covid. is a hoax, fined another £200 he must think all these extra patients on ventilators booked into hospital for a two night B&B weekend break.

On top of that he was demonstrating outside St Thomas hospital while patients were struggling with their health.

He announced he's running for mayor, if he wins London will gurgle even further down the plug hole.

What a melt.

7 minutes ago, ginge said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/01/health/coronavirus-vaccines-britain.html#click=https://t.co/93quRhYrlr

Seems like we are going to <Edit> up with the vaccinations too. When will this circus of a government learn? 

First in the world to approve a medicine then first in the world  to ignore the rules of its use.

Advert:

57 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

First in the world to approve a medicine then first in the world  to ignore the rules of its use.

It makes sense if the second dose isn't time sensitive AND there is a shortage.

Otherwise it's bloody ludicrous. 

Piers Corbyn wandering round London last night after organising the party of all parties with 1k of his looney supporters, denouncing the government and saying  Covid. is a hoax, fined another £200 he must think all these extra patients on ventilators booked into hospital for a two night B&B weekend break.
On top of that he was demonstrating outside St Thomas hospital while patients were struggling with their health.
He announced he's running for mayor, if he wins London will gurgle even further down the plug hole.
What a melt.
Piers Corbyn doesn't help the cause along with a few others.

What you've fallen into the trap of here is again believing everything you read without context.

This scaremongering about hospitals being full is at best disingenuous. Somebody had compiled front pages of the Guardian over the last few years and it showed that this headline comes up every year and in some years they even had fridges outside hospitals. I don't seem to recall us locking ourselves away then.

There was also some nurse on saying her children's ward was full of kids with Covid. When pushed further, several doctors called this out as nonsense.

There are bound to be more people in hospital now than there were in April, we are in the middle of winter.

This schools thing is also ridiculous. Has there been one example anywhere of a teacher catching Covid from a pupil and dying?

The trouble is people are controlled by emotions and not facts, which is why they switch off from anything which goes against the religion of Covid. Many have seen it all as a jolly jape, whereby they sit and watch Netflix at home, whilst getting their food delivered and on virtually full pay. Nothing more exciting has ever happened to them. Once the financial reality bites and affects them, you'll see a change.

We've lost complete context of danger and risk. I'll leave you with a fact...last year 99.87% (and probably more if we get into the debate of 'with '/'of')of the UK population didn't die from Covid.

12 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

Piers Corbyn doesn't help the cause along with a few others.

What you've fallen into the trap of here is again believing everything you read without context.

This scaremongering about hospitals being full is at best disingenuous. Somebody had compiled front pages of the Guardian over the last few years and it showed that this headline comes up every year and in some years they even had fridges outside hospitals. I don't seem to recall us locking ourselves away then.

There was also some nurse on saying her children's ward was full of kids with Covid. When pushed further, several doctors called this out as nonsense.

There are bound to be more people in hospital now than there were in April, we are in the middle of winter.

This schools thing is also ridiculous. Has there been one example anywhere of a teacher catching Covid from a pupil and dying?

The trouble is people are controlled by emotions and not facts, which is why they switch off from anything which goes against the religion of Covid. Many have seen it all as a jolly jape, whereby they sit and watch Netflix at home, whilst getting their food delivered and on virtually full pay. Nothing more exciting has ever happened to them. Once the financial reality bites and affects them, you'll see a change.

We've lost complete context of danger and risk. I'll leave you with a fact...last year 99.87% (and probably more if we get into the debate of 'with '/'of')of the UK population didn't die from Covid.

How is the school thing ridiculous? It’s not fair for teachers who can’t see any family outside of work to have to mix with 30+ pupils daily who could be carrying the virus. My wife is a teacher and their school has had many cases. Infact all the schools around here have had teachers off quite requarly with Covid. They may not necessarily die (not sure on figures)but I know for fact it’s made people I know very Ill and are still having symptoms months on. They can then pass it on to other family members so the issue isn’t just them dying it’s passing the virus on to others and that’s not on.  It’s anything but ridiculous and a typical response to someone from the outside thinking schools should just be open. They need shutting, it’s not fair to see we need to stay in and mix with nobody and then have schools open where the virus can clearly spread around. (If you went into a school you’d see how little they’ve been helped as well RE Covid) there is an ongoing joke within teachers that they only thing they have to help is the trusty paper towel....

No scaremongering either. I have a friend who works in the NHS who is constantly posting to Facebook trying to make people aware of how bad the situation is again in hospitals. The huge rise is Covid related whether you believe it or not. It is. Finding one article where one mum has said something potentially silly Dosent prove anything. Go to a hospital or speak to someone in the NHS then you’ll actually see. 

If you got it I think you’d realise it’s worse than the cold you seem to think it is. The death rate is low granted however the huge amount of infections means it’s still killed a hell of a lot of people. (Whether you think all the figures are twisted or not) it has still killed a lot of people. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/ons-figures-reveal-65-covid-related-deaths-in-education/ (65 by May)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-54146451 (this was in September)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9101529/Secondary-school-teacher-55-dies-Covid-just-two-days-Christmas.html (one from just before Christmas who had no underlying health conditions)

Add this to the issue of teachers/students contracting the virus from school and spreading it to a family member.

My biggest concern is the lack of direction regarding this mass testing programme supposedly being prepared this week. A lot of these issues could have been mitigated if support was given to schools to purchase remote learning equipment for their students (WiFi, tablets). I am blessed to work at a school which has offered exceptional and comprehensive remote learning from Day 1 on this pandemic, but there are students up and down the country without good access to the remote learning being provided for them.

Edited by Joe B

Advert:

How is the school thing ridiculous? It’s not fair for teachers who can’t see any family outside of work to have to mix with 30+ pupils daily who could be carrying the virus. My wife is a teacher and their school has had many cases. Infact all the schools around here have had teachers off quite requarly with Covid. They may not necessarily die (not sure on figures)but I know for fact it’s made people I know very Ill and are still having symptoms months on. They can then pass it on to other family members so the issue isn’t just them dying it’s passing the virus on to others and that’s not on.  It’s anything but ridiculous and a typical response to someone from the outside thinking schools should just be open. They need shutting, it’s not fair to see we need to stay in and mix with nobody and then have schools open where the virus can clearly spread around. (If you went into a school you’d see how little they’ve been helped as well RE Covid) there is an ongoing joke within teachers that they only thing they have to help is the trusty paper towel....
No scaremongering either. I have a friend who works in the NHS who is constantly posting to Facebook trying to make people aware of how bad the situation is again in hospitals. The huge rise is Covid related whether you believe it or not. It is. Finding one article where one mum has said something potentially silly Dosent prove anything. Go to a hospital or speak to someone in the NHS then you’ll actually see. 

If you got it I think you’d realise it’s worse than the cold you seem to think it is. The death rate is low granted however the huge amount of infections means it’s still killed a hell of a lot of people. (Whether you think all the figures are twisted or not) it has still killed a lot of people. 
A few assumptions there. Firstly I am not on the outside of education. I understand the difficulties involved (mainly around the farcical rules). I just feel the risk is negligible in comparison to the risks to the long term welfare of a generation of children.

Secondly, I know this is a nasty virus and not 'just a cold'. However, I also understand the risks involved which we live with every day.

Finally, we all 'know someone who works in the NHS '. My experience is of people who say that the main issue is a massively reduced capacity due to 'social distancing' and up to 30% of staff off due to isolating. No wonder some hospitals are feeling pressure. People also forget what it's like every year and complain every year.

In fact many hospitals have less patients than this time last year.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/ons-figures-reveal-65-covid-related-deaths-in-education/ (65 by May)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-54146451 (this was in September)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9101529/Secondary-school-teacher-55-dies-Covid-just-two-days-Christmas.html (one from just before Christmas who had no underlying health conditions)
Add this to the issue of teachers/students contracting the virus from school and spreading it to a family member.
My biggest concern is the lack of direction regarding this mass testing programme supposedly being prepared this week. A lot of these issues could have been mitigated if support was given to schools to purchase remote learning equipment for their students (WiFi, tablets). I am blessed to work at a school which has offered exceptional and comprehensive remote learning from Day 1 on this pandemic, but there are students up and down the country without good access to the remote learning being provided for them.
Those articles admit that they don't know where these people caught the virus, simply that they were a teacher and some are just labelled as working in 'education '.

Many schools don't have the luxury to provide the necessary facilities and also parents who are more interested in where to get their fags from. Many vulnerable children are much safer at school and will be left behind to rot.

These people who say schools should stay open need to have a rethink would they like to stand in front of a classroom of 30 students aged 15 to 16 years old and teach I know what the answer would be 
I wouldn't be scared to do it but whether I'd want to do it is a different story!

23 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

Those articles admit that they don't know where these people caught the virus, simply that they were a teacher and some are just labelled as working in 'education '.

Yes, it's a clever argument you make as it's completely impossible to prove exactly where the teachers contracted the virus from. 

If we look at it logically, those teachers were spending all day surrounded by 30 'bubbles'; whilst not certain, there is a decent probability they contracted it at work, as there's been nowhere else to go with everything shut down, especially those who work at schools with confirmed cases.

Advert:

23 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:
1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Many schools don't have the luxury to provide the necessary facilities and also parents who are more interested in where to get their fags from. Many vulnerable children are much safer at school and will be left behind to rot.

Even when schools where schools were ‘closed’ during the big lockdown, they were actually open to vulnerable students. This has always been the case.

the way I see it is that the government has a number of switches they can flip to keep the r number down. Some have bigger impacts than others on the virus, others have bigger impact than others on the economy. Schools could impact the virus considerably but not massively impact the economy, and can be run virtually. So should be under consideration. Primary schools don’t have to worry about exams, and secondary school exams are basically just to decide if a student is capable of level 1, 2 or 3 education next. As much as people moaned about predictions last year, that is really the main consideration. If a mistake is made it is easily rectified very early on. 

I wrote a massive post trying to explain how this is all a bit more complex than being made out but have now edited it, as nothing will be gained. 

Long story short - Teachers won't be striking. My school is closed, by government order, to students tomorrow but the entire workforce will be in for the key worker students and to engage in a full timetable of remote learning. 

The Unions are just trying to gain concessions. It doesn't reflect any groundswell of opinion, and the Unions know there's no striking.

We're not all baddies, folks, as easy and fun as it is to portray.

Edited by Joe B

1 hour ago, leedsvaliant said:
1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Schools stay open for vulnerable. During the height of the lockdown my wife’s school was open to vulnerable kids or for those where they’re parents were key workers. Your point is the fault of the parents not the schools.