3 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

There is a solution there that solves the problem as a cost which is less than the Uk spent on defunct PPE equipment.

It’s clear some people have just said no because they will back Johnson no matter what... one Einstein even quoted the request completely incorrectly demonstrating he didn’t even know what he was opposed to.

Johnson didn’t come up with the idea so his ego has gotten in the way.

Its becoming a PR nightmare, Johnson will perform another U Turn... Thank goodness for those who have put pressure on him to do so, both from Labour and Tory MPs that can see there is a problem and a solution to fix it.

Which u turn will come first, suspect a Full lockdown, to try and arrest the alarming rise in Covid cases.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, An announcement from OVF Towers... this evening I will be putting a few things in place to hopefully help some users out during the pandemic,  particularly during the self-isolation perio

I am a law abiding citizen. I have never even had a parking ticket and I am in my 60th year. I accept that the Government has had a very difficult job but they have made a complete horlicks of it. The

Just don’t understand the need for politics to become involved in this. It’s a world wide pandemic come what may. Let’s rally round together. Sadly impossible as too many keep trying to gain some form

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

There is a solution there that solves the problem as a cost which is less than the Uk spent on defunct PPE equipment.

It’s clear some people have just said no because they will back Johnson no matter what... one Einstein even quoted the request completely incorrectly demonstrating he didn’t even know what he was opposed to.

Johnson didn’t come up with the idea so his ego has gotten in the way.

Its becoming a PR nightmare, Johnson will perform another U Turn... Thank goodness for those who have put pressure on him to do so, both from Labour and Tory MPs that can see there is a problem and a solution to fix it.

Vouchers were considered necessary in the Summer holidays and set the precedence for the period of the pandemic,  a visible response to an emergency.  A clear sign of caring for the poorest children.  Pouring money out left, right  and centre does not give the same image as it is just swallowed up with no visible outcome. 

I don't think the voucher scheme is a bad idea...... but I would push it wider than people on benefits. 

I think it should also be extended to people on furlough with kids.

Its a short term solution to a much bigger problem and yes some will take advantage and some may get it who don't need it but the issue, if it is the virus causing it, hits a wider field than just people on benefits.

A longer term solution is far more difficult.

Sadly it's becoming a politicians sound bite scenario. 

20 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Johnson says no child will go hungry and he will do everything in his power... apart from support an initiative which would solve that problem apparently.

Bet it would be different if his mate Cummings had come up with it. 

IF he does it does it matter which initiative he supports..... it's a big if...... it's not happened in my lifetime.

Tesco was "simply wrong" to tell a woman she could not buy period products during lockdown, Health Minister Vaughan Gething has said.

As suggested it would be helpful to define essential...... just for clarity and to avoid confusion.

5 hours ago, jonti1969 said:

Why is it all we hear is a rise in cases, its not true, the rise is in postive tests which is something else, especially as they are not accurate.

You can criticize the whole "died within 28 days of a positive Covid test" concept. Yes a lot of people dying with coronavirus might not have had that long left to live anyway.

You can argue that mass testing only came in after the first lockdown, so comparing the case figures now with what they were back in March isn't comparing like to like.

There have always been false positives and false negatives. As far as I'm aware testing is only getting more reliable, not less so.

The fact is that cases are rising and the virus is spreading. With schools and universities back and the cold coming in then this was inevitable and entirely expected.

I'm not panicking or demanding a lockdown but I'm just saying you have to accept that there are a rise in cases.

7 hours ago, jonti1969 said:

Why is it all we hear is a rise in cases, its not true, the rise is in postive tests which is something else, especially as they are not accurate.

Regardless, our hospitals are buckling with the amount of admissions, fact.  Do not underestimate we are in a very serious position.

9 hours ago, geosname said:

Matt Hancock said he wanted hospitals "to be beacons of good health".

Can anyone else see the comedic irony in this..... or is it just my twisted mind?

Of course, that is why lots of ill people are avoiding hospitals, some with tragic consequences.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wrex said:

You can criticize the whole "died within 28 days of a positive Covid test" concept. Yes a lot of people dying with coronavirus might not have had that long left to live anyway.

You can argue that mass testing only came in after the first lockdown, so comparing the case figures now with what they were back in March isn't comparing like to like.

There have always been false positives and false negatives. As far as I'm aware testing is only getting more reliable, not less so.

The fact is that cases are rising and the virus is spreading. With schools and universities back and the cold coming in then this was inevitable and entirely expected.

I'm not panicking or demanding a lockdown but I'm just saying you have to accept that there are a rise in cases.

The only criticism I have 're the 28 days is simply deaths are not recorded as covid if someone dies after the 28 day cut off. If you survive longer than 28 days you fall off the statistical recording grid, which creates a misleading record of actual deaths.

The testing has increased therefore it's likely more cases are found, however the statistics are only really valid on a day to day basis if the results are returned within a 24 hour period..... presently only about 15%-20% (I think are) which suggests the figures play catch up and don't reflect the true number of daily cases.

The number of hospital admissions is increasing,  which is a concern.

The number of daily deaths is also increasing slowly but the figures may be being distorted by the 28 day rule.

When the cold weather sets in I would expect all the stats to increase..... a slow rise may be manageable,  sharp increases will cause serious problems that will be very difficult to control.

4 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Of course, that is why lots of ill people are avoiding hospitals, some with tragic consequences.  

I was thinking along the lines of..... if hospitals become beacons of good health they would be empty.

4 hours ago, geosname said:

The only criticism I have 're the 28 days is simply deaths are not recorded as covid if someone dies after the 28 day cut off. If you survive longer than 28 days you fall off the statistical recording grid, which creates a misleading record of actual deaths.

The testing has increased therefore it's likely more cases are found, however the statistics are only really valid on a day to day basis if the results are returned within a 24 hour period..... presently only about 15%-20% (I think are) which suggests the figures play catch up and don't reflect the true number of daily cases.

The number of hospital admissions is increasing,  which is a concern.

The number of daily deaths is also increasing slowly but the figures may be being distorted by the 28 day rule.

When the cold weather sets in I would expect all the stats to increase..... a slow rise may be manageable,  sharp increases will cause serious problems that will be very difficult to control.

The cut off is 28 days after a positive coronavirus test not 28 days after they catch coronavirus