There is a lot of grandstanding on all sides to be honest right now.

It's clear that the government have not got the first idea what they are doing. Worse, they are not driven by anything other than manic ideology. There will be no effective track & trace system. There will continue to be fragmented, poorly thought out policy, appalling communication, being dragged into reactive decisions rather than leading, backsliding, and, after it is all over, blame shifting and scapegoating to ensure that the NHS/scientists/EU/little spacemen from Mars are the ones who dunnit, not me guv.

Nobody would say that any of this is easy - it's fiendishly difficult. The fact that they are utterly incompetent is bad enough. It's the fact that they refuse to listen to advice that they don't like, don't learn from either lessons elsewhere, or from their own experience, don't apologize for any mistakes, are incompetent and corrupt in handing out contracts that will save/cost lives. It's unforgiveable. They genuinely could have done 100 times better than they have done regarding their response. They just don't want to.  

The things to cling onto right now: that at least people could see it coming, even if they ignored it. Systems are more ready than they were previously, treatments and therapeutics are better, vulnerable people should be more shielded, a different demographic of infection might reduce the death rate, we should be closer to a vaccine. It will still be a long, hard winter. I am still terrified for my parents, both of whom are high risk.

• Like 4

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, An announcement from OVF Towers... this evening I will be putting a few things in place to hopefully help some users out during the pandemic,  particularly during the self-isolation perio

I am a law abiding citizen. I have never even had a parking ticket and I am in my 60th year. I accept that the Government has had a very difficult job but they have made a complete horlicks of it. The

Just don’t understand the need for politics to become involved in this. It’s a world wide pandemic come what may. Let’s rally round together. Sadly impossible as too many keep trying to gain some form

Posted Images

It's all rather muddled....

A family receive 60 calls from test and trace asking the same questions and following the same script.

First pre flight tests offered, results in 1 hour, but not mandatory for incoming passengers.

Someone died of covid after the 28 day period and isn't counted in the deaths from covid, it's unlikely they are the only ones.

A guy in America has caught covid for the second time, tested positive with symptoms, recovered and tested negative, then contracted it again (tested positive) and it's affected him worse the second time.

A guy gets refused entry into his bank for not wearing a mask even though he is exempt due to medical reasons and the bank closed his accounts because he questioned it.

Its all a confusion of madness. 

On 20/10/2020 at 13:24, geosname said:

It's all rather muddled....

A family receive 60 calls from test and trace asking the same questions and following the same script.

First pre flight tests offered, results in 1 hour, but not mandatory for incoming passengers.

Someone died of covid after the 28 day period and isn't counted in the deaths from covid, it's unlikely they are the only ones.

A guy in America has caught covid for the second time, tested positive with symptoms, recovered and tested negative, then contracted it again (tested positive) and it's affected him worse the second time.

A guy gets refused entry into his bank for not wearing a mask even though he is exempt due to medical reasons and the bank closed his accounts because he questioned it.

Its all a confusion of madness. 

If people are catching it for a second time, ie not immune after the first infection, then a vaccine won’t work.

There is little to add to Corleone's excellent post above.

We are heading into deep waters. We all know it. This hapless and useless government is making the same mistakes it did earlier on in the year, principally by not acting soon enough. Once you let the numbers rise you have very serious problems ahead and our abject failure to have a short, sharp lock-down a week or two ago, as well as failing with T&T, despite spending £12 billion on it, is a perfect illustration of government incompetence and stupidity on an industrial scale.

We've had around 420 deaths and over 40,000 cases in the last two days and winter hasn't even begun yet.

It's incomprehensible that Johnson remains in place when he's clearly out of his depth as well as an inveterate liar and completely untrustworthy.

1 hour ago, geosname said:

Only one case reported but who knows?

Scarey eh.

I’d heard of a case involving a bubble of 5 or 6 English students in, I think, Italy, who have all had covid 7 times.

and yes I agree it is scary.

3 hours ago, Conrad said:

If people are catching it for a second time, ie not immune after the first infection, then a vaccine won’t work.

A few cases out of millions of covid positive people isn't a massive worry. It does mutate and there are different strains, and every person is different. Maybe that one person just had some rare disorder that only affects them in relation to coronavirus.

Coronavirus does mutate and it's expected that booster shots or new vaccines will need to be given after maybe a year or a few years.

But one thing is certain and that is the virus will be here for years to come and we need to learn to live with it. Even with a vaccine comes out in January then we won't be able to vaccinate everyone in this country by Christmas 2021. Even then there is a big wide world out there. And what if a vaccine doesn't come out in 2021?

4 minutes ago, Wrex said:

A few cases out of millions of covid positive people isn't a massive worry. It does mutate and there are different strains, and every person is different. Maybe that one person just had some rare disorder that only affects them in relation to coronavirus.

Coronavirus does mutate and it's expected that booster shots or new vaccines will need to be given after maybe a year or a few years.

But one thing is certain and that is the virus will be here for years to come and we need to learn to live with it. Even with a vaccine comes out in January then we won't be able to vaccinate everyone in this country by Christmas 2021. Even then there is a big wide world out there. And what if a vaccine doesn't come out in 2021?

A lot of unknowns and uncertainties, it’s going to be around for a while yet.

As the virus needs a host body to live in, the only way to stop it is if nobody came into contact with anybody else which is never going to happen, these lockdowns will slow it down but once they start to be lifted it will increase again, this will happen over and over I predict a 3rd and 4th spike.

• Like 1

"Tonight, 321 Tory MPs voted against extending the free school meals programme over half term and the Xmas holidays - effectively ensuring that more than a million British children will be left to go hungry during this time. The Tory MP for Stoke-on-Trent Central, Jo Gideon, was one of the hundreds of Tory MPs to join in with her party’s despicably callous actions. Astonishingly, Jo Gideon is also an official Trustee for the anti-hunger charity, Feeding Britain."

And you wonder why Angela Rayner used the word scum to describe them? The fact you're more angry about Angela Rayner and not their actions says something about you. 

Although Angela is right with what she said, I think in her position it is important to refrain from letting emotions get involved and name calling. Showing them to be scum is better leadership- which is exactly what Andy Burnham is doing in Manchester. 

Edited by ginge