9 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Geo, I don't know but in general in the UK and USA there are more colds and influenza in the winter than in the summer, what happens in a country like Thailand or Australia I have no idea.

Hi Paul,

The issue is not local climate, but ethnic mobility. Chinese represent 3.6% of the Australian demographic. Add to that Chinese student/holiday visas and we have, at times, approximately 4%.

What separates our Chinese Australians from most of us is their appetite for travel to the land of their birth/ancestors - and they seem to do so at the drop of a hat e.g. Chinese New Year in Wuhan. They went in their thousands. Many made it back home before the 'virus' was known. Hundreds are now stranded due to travel embargoes, especially students wishing to continue University courses.

It may be a chicken-egg conundrum: did our intrepid travelers unknowingly make home carrying the 'bug'? We don't know.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, An announcement from OVF Towers... this evening I will be putting a few things in place to hopefully help some users out during the pandemic,  particularly during the self-isolation perio

I am a law abiding citizen. I have never even had a parking ticket and I am in my 60th year. I accept that the Government has had a very difficult job but they have made a complete horlicks of it. The

If football matches here had to be played behind closed doors,  Sjoke would still count 23000 attendance. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Aussie Rules said:

Hi Paul,

The issue is not local climate, but ethnic mobility. Chinese represent 3.6% of the Australian demographic. Add to that Chinese student/holiday visas and we have, at times, approximately 4%.

What separates our Chinese Australians from most of us is their appetite for travel to the land of their birth/ancestors - and they seem to do so at the drop of a hat e.g. Chinese New Year in Wuhan. They went in their thousands. Many made it back home before the 'virus' was known. Hundreds are now stranded due to travel embargoes, especially students wishing to continue University courses.

It may be a chicken-egg conundrum: did our intrepid travelers unknowingly make home carrying the 'bug'? We don't know.

Yep AR that's why viruses spread easily from China to Aussie and also the USA but in the USA and UK viruses are also more seasonal being more prevalent in winter, cold air and sunlight being two of the reasons given, that's not to say cold's don't occur in the summer.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320099

• Thanks 1

On 28/02/2020 at 15:09, Mario said:

Thats interesting .....Dean Koontz  was writing about the coronavirus years ago, it's called Wuhan -400 ,he says in his book that it was a man made microorganism manufactured in 2020 and it only affects humans with a pneumonia like disease ...........Thats a mighty good stab in the dark from the 80's !! 

Just read a couple of his books Mario. Happened to pick one up in a charity shop , Brother Odd.  A good read very different,  glad I stumbled across him.

I understand the reasons for the concern about the corona virus/COVID-19 outbreak but to put things in perspective, in the 2018/19 flu season 34.000 people died (Estimated 35 million illnesses) in the USA alone from the flu virus, in 2017/18 61 000+ died (Estimated 45 million illnesses).

So far, in the USA 1 person has died from COVID-19.

• Thanks 1

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 10:50, TheSage said:

It's about time that people in this country started to behave in a sensible manner and covered their faces when coughing or sneezing, and washed their hands after using the loo. 

Most men still don't do that and lots of people continue to walk around the shops and supermarkets coughing and spluttering with no attempt whatsoever to use a handkerchief or cover their mouths.

The number of times I've turned round and gone down another aisle! No wonder my wife gets cross with me when I get home with half the shopping missing!!

Sage I maybe old and therefore old fashion, but we were taught it was good manners to cover your mouth when coughing and sneezing...oh and yawning, and to say excuse me,  but like I said i'm old.

Edited by Davebrad

I think we both are, Dave. And, yes, like you, I was always taught to cover my mouth, use a handkerchief (who uses those old fashioned linen ones any more?), say excuse me or sorry, and, of course, please and thank you as a matter of course, as well as giving up your seat for an older person and opening doors for them etc. I'd hazard a guess that no more than 25% of folk do these things as a matter of course these days. 

It's all a bit surreal here at the moment Geo because I'm not aware of any outbreaks in Stoke and little appears to have changed, yet. All the indications are, however, that it's going to get a lot worse quite soon and the TV and radio now are saturated with news coverage and advice.

The main advice is not to touch your face but that's easier said than done. We do it without thinking dozens of times an hour.

I always carry at least 1 linen hanky. Still open doors for people, say thanks and offer help if needed.... it's become instinct, a natural thing to do without thought..... can't be many of us left.

On 01/03/2020 at 17:39, Paul6754 said:

I understand the reasons for the concern about the corona virus/COVID-19 outbreak but to put things in perspective, in the 2018/19 flu season 34.000 people died (Estimated 35 million illnesses) in the USA alone from the flu virus, in 2017/18 61 000+ died (Estimated 45 million illnesses).

So far, in the USA 1 person has died from COVID-19.

🙄 yes but there is no vaccine for this at the moment which is why comparing it to any other illness is a little bit daft to say the least. 

How many flu deaths would have been prevented with the vaccine? 

Edited by WV

Just read on Racing Post that government are looking to put sporting events back 12 weeks to prevent public gatherings.

Wow, the last time I read anything about the government they were saying that you needed 70 pts to remain in the UK and that they were considering, deporting Stoke City football club.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, WV said:

🙄 yes but there is no vaccine for this at the moment which is why comparing it to any other illness is a little bit daft to say the least. 

Not comparing it WV just putting it into perspective with the flu virus given the reaction to the outbreak which I totally understand. No doubt the number of cases and unfortunately deaths are going to increase., it's a major event

3 hours ago, WV said:

How many flu deaths would have been prevented with the vaccine? 

Who knows how many flu  deaths would be prevented if 100% of people were vaccinated but studies have shown in the USA that the flu vaccine reduces flu illnesses between 40-60% in the general population.

There is no vaccine for the coronavirus at the moment but there was a report on tv here last night that a known anti-viral drug is showing potential to treat the Coronavirus/COVID-19 and being used in China.

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

Not comparing it WV just putting it into perspective with the flu virus given the reaction to the outbreak which I totally understand. No doubt the number of cases and unfortunately deaths are going to increase., it's a major event

Who knows how many flu  deaths would be prevented if 100% of people were vaccinated but studies have shown in the USA that the flu vaccine reduces flu illnesses between 40-60% in the general population.

There is no vaccine for the coronavirus at the moment but there was a report on tv here last night that a known anti-viral drug is showing potential to treat the Coronavirus/COVID-19 and being used in China.

I think it's one of those they use to treat HIV.

I'm not. I would imagine Thailand folk take more notice and attention to what they've been told. I've just visited Tescos and at least 3-4 people were walking around coughing and spluttering and clearing their throats without bothering to cover their mouths. I'm not sure why we bother. My dog has got better personal hygiene than some adults. But it was in Longton so they're probably all Stoke fans. 😉

20 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I'm not. I would imagine Thailand folk take more notice and attention to what they've been told. I've just visited Tescos and at least 3-4 people were walking around coughing and spluttering and clearing their throats without bothering to cover their mouths. I'm not sure why we bother. My dog has got better personal hygiene than some adults. But it was in Longton so they're probably all Stoke fans. 😉

Couldn't agree more, Sage.  Why are people having to be told to wash their hands?  It shouldn't require the threat of a global pandemic to get people to do that.

• robf locked this topic
  • robf unlocked this topic