Jump to content

Coronavirus


robf

Recommended Posts

Advert:


There is little to add to Corleone's excellent post above.

We are heading into deep waters. We all know it. This hapless and useless government is making the same mistakes it did earlier on in the year, principally by not acting soon enough. Once you let the numbers rise you have very serious problems ahead and our abject failure to have a short, sharp lock-down a week or two ago, as well as failing with T&T, despite spending £12 billion on it, is a perfect illustration of government incompetence and stupidity on an industrial scale.

We've had around 420 deaths and over 40,000 cases in the last two days and winter hasn't even begun yet.

It's incomprehensible that Johnson remains in place when he's clearly out of his depth as well as an inveterate liar and completely untrustworthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, geosname said:

Only one case reported but who knows?

Scarey eh.

I’d heard of a case involving a bubble of 5 or 6 English students in, I think, Italy, who have all had covid 7 times.

and yes I agree it is scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Conrad said:

If people are catching it for a second time, ie not immune after the first infection, then a vaccine won’t work.

A few cases out of millions of covid positive people isn't a massive worry. It does mutate and there are different strains, and every person is different. Maybe that one person just had some rare disorder that only affects them in relation to coronavirus.

Coronavirus does mutate and it's expected that booster shots or new vaccines will need to be given after maybe a year or a few years.

But one thing is certain and that is the virus will be here for years to come and we need to learn to live with it. Even with a vaccine comes out in January then we won't be able to vaccinate everyone in this country by Christmas 2021. Even then there is a big wide world out there. And what if a vaccine doesn't come out in 2021?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


4 minutes ago, Wrex said:

A few cases out of millions of covid positive people isn't a massive worry. It does mutate and there are different strains, and every person is different. Maybe that one person just had some rare disorder that only affects them in relation to coronavirus.

Coronavirus does mutate and it's expected that booster shots or new vaccines will need to be given after maybe a year or a few years.

But one thing is certain and that is the virus will be here for years to come and we need to learn to live with it. Even with a vaccine comes out in January then we won't be able to vaccinate everyone in this country by Christmas 2021. Even then there is a big wide world out there. And what if a vaccine doesn't come out in 2021?

A lot of unknowns and uncertainties, it’s going to be around for a while yet.

As the virus needs a host body to live in, the only way to stop it is if nobody came into contact with anybody else which is never going to happen, these lockdowns will slow it down but once they start to be lifted it will increase again, this will happen over and over I predict a 3rd and 4th spike.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Tonight, 321 Tory MPs voted against extending the free school meals programme over half term and the Xmas holidays - effectively ensuring that more than a million British children will be left to go hungry during this time. The Tory MP for Stoke-on-Trent Central, Jo Gideon, was one of the hundreds of Tory MPs to join in with her party’s despicably callous actions. Astonishingly, Jo Gideon is also an official Trustee for the anti-hunger charity, Feeding Britain."

 

And you wonder why Angela Rayner used the word scum to describe them? The fact you're more angry about Angela Rayner and not their actions says something about you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although Angela is right with what she said, I think in her position it is important to refrain from letting emotions get involved and name calling. Showing them to be scum is better leadership- which is exactly what Andy Burnham is doing in Manchester. 

Edited by ginge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


On 13/10/2020 at 20:17, Wrex said:

Those are cities. Newcastle-under-Lyme is a small town and Keele is quite a large university so Newcastle's Covid rate per 100,000 will be much greater affected by a few dozen students testing positive.

This was nine days ago we were discussing why Newcastle's infection rate was worse than Stoke's. Now Stoke is tier 2 and Newcastle remains tier 1. Shows how quickly this virus business can change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ginge said:

Although Angela is right with what she said, I think in her position it is important to refrain from letting emotions get involved and name calling. Showing them to be scum is better leadership- which is exactly what Andy Burnham is doing in Manchester. 

Let's all hope Burnham's leadership is better than it was in Stafford?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


Supermarkets will be told that they can only sell "essential goods" during the 17-day Covid firebreak lockdown in Wales.

First Minister Mark Drakeford said it will be "made clear" to them they are only able to open parts of their business that sell "essential goods".

 

But newsagents, off-licences can stay open. The lockdown begins on Friday.

____________________________________________

What exactly are essential goods?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, geosname said:

Supermarkets will be told that they can only sell "essential goods" during the 17-day Covid firebreak lockdown in Wales.

First Minister Mark Drakeford said it will be "made clear" to them they are only able to open parts of their business that sell "essential goods".

 

But newsagents, off-licences can stay open. The lockdown begins on Friday.

____________________________________________

What exactly are essential goods?

That seemed outrageous to me but apparently the justification is that if, for example, a clothing store has to close for being non-essential then it is unfair to them that supermarkets are permitted to carry on selling clothing during the lockdown. Still not keen on it but the motivation is at least to try and support independent retail stores that have bee forced to close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    • Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please - Contact us here
    • If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here
    • Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here
  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...