8 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

How much damage to the economy does a 10pm pub curfew do?

I get what you are saying but surely swifter action now could prevent more draconian measures later.  Imagine Christmas being all but cancelled because Boris didn't want to close pubs a couple of hours early.

When you start with a huge underreaction, followed by an overreaction you create confusion and panic..... what usually follows is messy...... some would say an omnishambles.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, An announcement from OVF Towers... this evening I will be putting a few things in place to hopefully help some users out during the pandemic,  particularly during the self-isolation perio

If football matches here had to be played behind closed doors,  Sjoke would still count 23000 attendance. 

Can we please stop politicising this situation.  It's nowt to do with Tory/Labour/Leaver/Remain.  It's a situation in which we all need to be sensible, listen to advice, stop being so bloody selfish i

Posted Images

I think that's a fair comment.

A lot of pubs now, Geo, are open in the afternoon. They tend to open about 12.00 and stay open all day.  Many of them have put more tables outside and tried to entice people in that way.

8 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I think that's a fair comment.

A lot of pubs now, Geo, are open in the afternoon. They tend to open about 12.00 and stay open all day.  Many of them have put more tables outside and tried to entice people in that way.

A previous post took me to reminisce mode. Pubs closing at 3pm? Can't remember what time they reopened except the Albion in Hanley opened a little earlier than most, then closing at 10.30pm?

I wouldn't call them happy days...... certainly eventful. 

India is recording 100,000 new cases per day with a death rate of about 1,000 per day..

The UK infection rate is still increasing, pushing 3,400 per day, younger people are being infected and the hospital admittance for covid is slowly increasing.

New restrictions are being applied to more areas.

Perhaps in missing something, can someone explain why if a pub is open it has to close at 10.00pm, does the virus have to get an early night or does it only come out to infect people after 10pm?

I think it's all to do with the fact that the more folk drink the less likely they are to social distance, so they close early to try and stop people getting hammered.

Yes, I know, I know, they'll probably all drink more before 10.00 and order loads of extra drinks when the landlord calls "last orders" but I think that's the rationale.

I read yesterday that the government will introduce measures to allow the use of unlicensed drugs (not untested) to combat covid 19.

That in itself is a concern, more concerning is the fact that they will also introduce the inability to take legal action if the drug damages people.

So if you are given the drug and it causes some side effect that causes harm or death....... tough crap.

Remember the wonder drug thalidomide? 

I read yesterday that the government will introduce measures to allow the use of unlicensed drugs (not untested) to combat covid 19.
That in itself is a concern, more concerning is the fact that they will also introduce the inability to take legal action if the drug damages people.
So if you are given the drug and it causes some side effect that causes harm or death....... tough crap.
I can never forget seeing the results.

14 hours ago, geosname said:

Perhaps in missing something, can someone explain why if a pub is open it has to close at 10.00pm, does the virus have to get an early night or does it only come out to infect people after 10pm?

I don`t think it will help too much either as compressing the opening hours just means the pubs are busier when they are open.

900 people in hostpital with Covid yesterday in the country.

Why are we locking down whole regions?

Why are we being asked to call the police on our neighbours if they have 7 people in their garden?

I'm starting to think that we should never have locked down in the first place.

Why are we being asked to call the police on our neighbours if they have 7 people in their garden?

That's the problem, we were conned the first time. I don't like being conned.

18 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

We didn't lock down. Maybe we should have. When did airports shutdown? When were all international flights cancelled? International travel cancelled?

Underreaction followed by overreaction followed by confused mess.

2 hours ago, Fosse69 said:
6 hours ago, geosname said:

I can never forget seeing the results.

I remember the shock of it.

We're on red watch because cases are rising alarmingly. Over 4000 yesterday, Fewer than 1000 2 weeks ago. The R0 is also rising and probably above 1.4 at least. Hospital admissions are going up. It's worse in some places than others. 

If we don't act early enough we're in trouble again, as we were last March.

It doesn't appear that the figures will be as bad, but they could be as many as 50+ deaths a day at this rate and that's something we need to avoid. Every life matters.

Johnson hasn't a clue. He doesn't do detail, only slogans.

18 hours ago, geosname said:

India is recording 100,000 new cases per day with a death rate of about 1,000 per day..

The UK infection rate is still increasing, pushing 3,400 per day, younger people are being infected and the hospital admittance for covid is slowly increasing.

New restrictions are being applied to more areas.

As people get comfortable into the evening and relax the measures required such as cleaning hands, tables and the social distancing also becomes relaxed.  By kicking folk out early you reduce the risk of it getting to that point.  It won't negate it completely because some bone heads will just go out earlier but Pubs have to do better than they are doing if they want to avoid being shut completely again.  As such it also serves as a warning to both hospitality and the punters, that they are not trying hard enough to make it work.

2 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

Younger people are currently getting infected because they are doing the least to follow guidelines.  That means that they arent getting ill.  However, without action, the infections will again jump to the older generation, which will see hospitals filling up and death rates climbing.

As for your last comment, I have felt this way since day one.  We should have stuck with herd immunity in my opinion.

I agree with Curfews though, I think its a good compromise.

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

As people get comfortable into the evening and relax the measures required such as cleaning hands, tables and the social distancing also becomes relaxed.  By kicking folk out early you reduce the risk of it getting to that point.  It won't negate it completely because some bone heads will just go out earlier but Pubs have to do better than they are doing if they want to avoid being shut completely again.  As such it also serves as a warning to both hospitality and the punters, that they are not trying hard enough to make it work.

You could be right, although i'm not 100% convinced.

My perspective is slightly twisted by circumstance, I live in a country that locked down early, airports closed, temperature checks done early, quarantine early, curfew intŕoduced, social premises closed, social distancing introduced, face masks worn before covid. With a similar population the death rate here amounted to 58? Total.

International travel is still restricted although internal flights have resumed with protective measures. There are businesses still closed and you still have to register your address and phone number when entering some shops and malls. Although the employees stationed outside shops the steralize baskets and trolleys have slowly disappeared. 

The cost has been heavy with charities and government providing free food to poor families, the national airline Thai airways going bump and tourists being trapped in the kingdom having visa requirements waived because they can't get out.

Most, if not all, of the latest affected are Thais returning home from abroad, anyone entering is placed into government controlled quarantine for 14 days, usually a prescribed hotel at the incomers expence.

As a PS the embassy here is bloody useless