11 hours ago, SimonMills said:

...but it's perfectly okay to throw the 99.5% of survivors under the same bus? 

Most who have died are already on a cocktail of drugs that are keeping them artificially alive. They've had a good run. The publicly funded NHS (our tax money) have gone above and beyond in keeping them breathing well beyond what nature intended in a period of extended social stability (in terms of war and disease).

This Covid period could have been shrugged off as one of those acts of nature that we have not got the ability to control, with work done to mitigate future (probably more serious) outbreaks as the outcome. Instead our press, the government and latterly the general public have lost all sense of reality and caused far more harm than good to a greater proportion of society for a more sustained amount of time. Those pensioners financially unaffected by this will continue to support prolonged lock down, selfishly inflicting more misery on the economically active.

For me, those who continue to support the closure of the economy and unnatural, inhumane social distancing guidelines are the selfish ones.

I suppose we could build some big huts away from population centres for the old and infirm, erect a few guard towers to keep them contained. We could make it welcoming by having a group of the old dodderers playing soft music as new residents arrive, have a dedicated rail terminal right to the door. It would need it's own medical facility and crematorium but im sure the more active members could assist in the building and running of the facility.

If the economy is the defining paramount key to society we could expand the residential encampments to include all that don't contribute...... kids? Unemployed? Stay at home parents? Disabled? The benefit being a great reduction in the welfare spend and the rules could be expanded at any time.

Its been tried before of course, didn't work to well but that was a different time.

Mao approached the economy slightly differently, he made it the most important factor, the fact it killed millions of his own people is possibly insignificant..... well look where they are now.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, An announcement from OVF Towers... this evening I will be putting a few things in place to hopefully help some users out during the pandemic,  particularly during the self-isolation perio

I am a law abiding citizen. I have never even had a parking ticket and I am in my 60th year. I accept that the Government has had a very difficult job but they have made a complete horlicks of it. The

Just don’t understand the need for politics to become involved in this. It’s a world wide pandemic come what may. Let’s rally round together. Sadly impossible as too many keep trying to gain some form

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

Si, I dont completely disagree.  Aspects have been and continue to be detremental when we are talking about other illnesses.  I also swing towards the line of thought that the global response to this has been massively OTT.  I have concerns about how easily governments around the world were able to take away people's civil liberties and how compliant the masses were to this.  I think there is a bigger picture here, something we do not know about and its probably above heads of state paygrades too.  None of it makes sense if you ask me, it just doesn't add up.

However, people are losing lives and no matter how prolonged there lives already are, despite everything I have just said, I have not got it in me to just write that off.  Which is probably why I arent in government lol.

Pubs, drinking pubs not food places.  Dont employ alot in the grand scheme but are contributing a disproportionate amount risk... close them, sends a message and hopefully stops more deaths whilst we figure it out.

The global response has been abysmal,  countries jot only allowed it in they allowed it out.

The UK response has been ......... (insert word of choice because I can't find one that adequately describes it). Disastrous comes close.... 

Panic, bluster, confusion, inaction, misdirection, inability all seem to play into this cluster ****

• Like 1

On 10/09/2020 at 03:14, geosname said:

I suppose we could build some big huts away from population centres for the old and infirm, erect a few guard towers to keep them contained. We could make it welcoming by having a group of the old dodderers playing soft music as new residents arrive, have a dedicated rail terminal right to the door. It would need it's own medical facility and crematorium but im sure the more active members could assist in the building and running of the facility.

If the economy is the defining paramount key to society we could expand the residential encampments to include all that don't contribute...... kids? Unemployed? Stay at home parents? Disabled? The benefit being a great reduction in the welfare spend and the rules could be expanded at any time.

Its been tried before of course, didn't work to well but that was a different time.

Mao approached the economy slightly differently, he made it the most important factor, the fact it killed millions of his own people is possibly insignificant..... well look where they are now.

We`d never get planning permission for the railway.

On 09/09/2020 at 12:01, Fosse69 said:

Keele and Stoke on Trent in the spotlight,  is it true? I have been away for 50 years

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/sep/09/covid-is-a-social-crisis-the-university-staff-and-students-filling-welfare-gaps

That stat (60% of adults in Stoke with reading age below11) shocked me but explains a lot . 

Didn't they used to say the Sun had a reading age akin to that of a primary pupil? And that was the best selling paper way back when.

I'm not entirely surprised and it shows you how easy and simple is to influence and confound people who don't have the reading comprehension skills to understand what is going on.

Like many northern industrial towns its industries have been run down, it receives low funding from central government, has its fair share of immigrants, a high rate of unemployment and a lot of parents who see education as a free child minding club. Similar to very many old industrial centres. At heart, it's all down to money. Libraries closing doesn't help literacy rates. It'll be interesting to see what "levelling up" does for the City.

Seems like we are on the brink again in terms of cases going up and hospital admissions on the rise, albeit slowly. But we can't stand back and do nothing when in the last 6 months we've seen excess deaths climb to nearly 70,000.

I'm a bit bemused by the new regulations. I can only meet one friend inside say a pub today but after Monday I can meet five friends. Not conducive to bringing down infections I wouldn't have thought.

Some interesting stats here.  A couple to consider:

Ventilator beds occupied by confirmed Covid patients on 12 April - 2,881.  On 3 September - 58

Total beds occupied by confirmed Covid patients on 12 April - 18,970.  On 3 September - 468

Each day in excess of 400 people die of preventable cancers, many of them of lung cancer.  Why has the sale of cigarettes not been banned??

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

My SEN teacher mate tells me that a reading age of 11 would allow you to access the Sun, Mirror, Express and Mail.  The reading age of the broadsheets varies between 13 and 15. 

Well you do need longer arms to open them.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

Ventilator beds occupied by confirmed Covid patients on 12 April - 2,881.  On 3 September - 58

Total beds occupied by confirmed Covid patients on 12 April - 18,970.  On 3 September - 468

Each day in excess of 400 people die of preventable cancers, many of them of lung cancer.  Why has the sale of cigarettes not been banned??

Or alcohol?

Cars?

3 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Tobacco baron`s lobby and loss of tax revenue are powerful arguments not to ban smoking,  maybe votes in it too.

Any is a bit wide but in principal I dont agree with them but accept that in exceptional circumstances some may be necessary on a temporary footing, which is slightly different to an outright ban.

Giving advice is one thing making it unlawful is another.