• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Coronavirus

robf

Advert:

8 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I think that's a fair comment.

A lot of pubs now, Geo, are open in the afternoon. They tend to open about 12.00 and stay open all day.  Many of them have put more tables outside and tried to entice people in that way.

A previous post took me to reminisce mode. Pubs closing at 3pm? Can't remember what time they reopened except the Albion in Hanley opened a little earlier than most, then closing at 10.30pm?

I wouldn't call them happy days...... certainly eventful. 

India is recording 100,000 new cases per day with a death rate of about 1,000 per day..

The UK infection rate is still increasing, pushing 3,400 per day, younger people are being infected and the hospital admittance for covid is slowly increasing.

New restrictions are being applied to more areas.

Perhaps in missing something, can someone explain why if a pub is open it has to close at 10.00pm, does the virus have to get an early night or does it only come out to infect people after 10pm?

I think it's all to do with the fact that the more folk drink the less likely they are to social distance, so they close early to try and stop people getting hammered.

Yes, I know, I know, they'll probably all drink more before 10.00 and order loads of extra drinks when the landlord calls "last orders" but I think that's the rationale.

I read yesterday that the government will introduce measures to allow the use of unlicensed drugs (not untested) to combat covid 19.

That in itself is a concern, more concerning is the fact that they will also introduce the inability to take legal action if the drug damages people.

So if you are given the drug and it causes some side effect that causes harm or death....... tough crap.

Remember the wonder drug thalidomide? 

Advert:

I read yesterday that the government will introduce measures to allow the use of unlicensed drugs (not untested) to combat covid 19.
That in itself is a concern, more concerning is the fact that they will also introduce the inability to take legal action if the drug damages people.
So if you are given the drug and it causes some side effect that causes harm or death....... tough crap.
I can never forget seeing the results.

14 hours ago, geosname said:

Perhaps in missing something, can someone explain why if a pub is open it has to close at 10.00pm, does the virus have to get an early night or does it only come out to infect people after 10pm?

I don`t think it will help too much either as compressing the opening hours just means the pubs are busier when they are open.

900 people in hostpital with Covid yesterday in the country.

Why are we locking down whole regions?

Why are we being asked to call the police on our neighbours if they have 7 people in their garden?

I'm starting to think that we should never have locked down in the first place.

18 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

Why are we being asked to call the police on our neighbours if they have 7 people in their garden?

We didn't lock down. Maybe we should have. When did airports shutdown? When were all international flights cancelled? International travel cancelled?

Underreaction followed by overreaction followed by confused mess.

Advert:

2 hours ago, Fosse69 said:
6 hours ago, geosname said:

I can never forget seeing the results.

I remember the shock of it.

We're on red watch because cases are rising alarmingly. Over 4000 yesterday, Fewer than 1000 2 weeks ago. The R0 is also rising and probably above 1.4 at least. Hospital admissions are going up. It's worse in some places than others. 

If we don't act early enough we're in trouble again, as we were last March.

It doesn't appear that the figures will be as bad, but they could be as many as 50+ deaths a day at this rate and that's something we need to avoid. Every life matters.

Johnson hasn't a clue. He doesn't do detail, only slogans.

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

As people get comfortable into the evening and relax the measures required such as cleaning hands, tables and the social distancing also becomes relaxed.  By kicking folk out early you reduce the risk of it getting to that point.  It won't negate it completely because some bone heads will just go out earlier but Pubs have to do better than they are doing if they want to avoid being shut completely again.  As such it also serves as a warning to both hospitality and the punters, that they are not trying hard enough to make it work.

You could be right, although i'm not 100% convinced.

My perspective is slightly twisted by circumstance, I live in a country that locked down early, airports closed, temperature checks done early, quarantine early, curfew intŕoduced, social premises closed, social distancing introduced, face masks worn before covid. With a similar population the death rate here amounted to 58? Total.

International travel is still restricted although internal flights have resumed with protective measures. There are businesses still closed and you still have to register your address and phone number when entering some shops and malls. Although the employees stationed outside shops the steralize baskets and trolleys have slowly disappeared. 

The cost has been heavy with charities and government providing free food to poor families, the national airline Thai airways going bump and tourists being trapped in the kingdom having visa requirements waived because they can't get out.

Most, if not all, of the latest affected are Thais returning home from abroad, anyone entering is placed into government controlled quarantine for 14 days, usually a prescribed hotel at the incomers expence.

As a PS the embassy here is bloody useless

7 hours ago, Rory said:
7 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

That's the problem, we were conned the first time. I don't like being conned.

Maybe. The media told us herd immunity was plan A. The Government told us that protecting the NHS was their primary aim. Neither have been true.

I've been ignoring the constant garbage on coronavirus for a few months now, it was depressingly pessimistic and not really based in fact. I'm not sure the Government knows how many of the daily cases are false positives or not, Hancock dodged the question on Talk Radio.

I've also found out that the R number is completely arbitrary based on estimations of risk. It's not scientific in the slightest. The decision to open pubs actually increased the number apparently.

Now we're supposedly locking down in case some more people die in a few weeks? Based on what evidence? Prof Ferguson's model?

I think the whole world has lost its mind currently.

Advert:

I imagine that the severity of any lockdown will depend on the number of ICU admissions in the next few weeks.

While I agree a lot of the statistics have been modelled and extrapolated based on a small and not necessarily reliable data set, the one thing that can't be argued with is the number of excess deaths. There is a contagious virus out there and people have been dying in significant numbers. We locked down and it reduced. Then we opened up again and it crept up. That we know.

Is this all a con? No, I don't think so. The conspiracy theories aligned to the likes of Qanon on Facebook says a lot about the concerted disinformation warfare campaign the world has been subjected to over the last few years.

The voice of reason, Santa.

I gave a few of the most recent statistics above. Hopefully things won't be anywhere near as bad as they were in late Spring. Most people wear masks and try and smart distance, though 2 metres is clearly far safer than 1. We wash our hands more often and we are all a lot more aware. These things will hopefully keep the figures down and manageable but as you say with force we've had the best part of c. 67,000 excess deaths with some form of a lock-down, and we can't afford to let this virus let rip. It kills people. Huge numbers are seriously ill with it. We have no vaccine. So only tight restrictions appear to prevent it from going through the roof. I'd imagine we're waiting another day or two to see how the land lies but some form of lock-down of sorts would not surprise me. It's being spread at the moment by younger people 20-40 and especially at home and in pubs and bars.

It would help a lot if we'd used the last 6 months productively and wisely to set up a reliable T&T system, but we've cocked that up and time is running out.

The government has even handed Hayes Travel a role in this. The mind boggles.