Coronavirus

robf

2 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

on ONS they go up to the end of July.  By which point there are around 60000 excess deaths on last year.  However, around 5000 of then occurred in Jaunuary and February, pre covid and another 5000 occurred in March with just under 3500 covid related.  April sees 32500 covid related deaths yet there were 42000 deaths extra compared to 2019.  In fact from about October 2019, our death rate was running higher than the previous years figures...

None of these figures include Scotland.

Can anyone be sure when Covid deaths began in the UK?  The total number of deaths  is the concern, why ? Due to a new disease or living  standards falling for certain groups of people? 

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

Govt only counted hospital deaths, there were not enough tests to go around in any case. Extra deaths are deaths above the average for previous months/years. haggling over numbers is just a smoke screen for incompetence and lack of preparation. I fear the worst for next winter.

Not true. The Government include deaths at care homes if it is suspected to be Covid related even when not tested. This wasn’t the case originally but they started including them around May hence why there was something like 5000 deaths added in one day as they back dated any suspected deaths.

Edited by philpvfc

4 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

on ONS they go up to the end of July.  By which point there are around 60000 excess deaths on last year.  However, around 5000 of then occurred in Jaunuary and February, pre covid and another 5000 occurred in March with just under 3500 covid related.  April sees 32500 covid related deaths yet there were 42000 deaths extra compared to 2019.  In fact from about October 2019, our death rate was running higher than the previous years figures...

None of these figures include Scotland.

According to ONS on 7th August there has been an increase of 51000 deaths in England and Wales so if you are correct that the end of July it stood at 60000 we could be down to zero excess deaths by the end of the year. Also, you do have to consider that of the last 8/10 years death rates have increased in the U.K.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending7august2020

https://www.statista.com/statistics/281478/death-rate-united-kingdom-uk/

36 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Well that's what I was hinting at.  Excess deaths seemed to start occurring quite a few months before Covid officially happened 

Excess deaths seems to refer to more than the average of a particular time period.. which is misleading at best.

On 20/08/2020 at 20:30, Nofinikea said:

So why the <ovf censored> has the whole world crippled the economy?  Genuine question.

If someone has flu you can see they look ill, symptoms are obvious and you would stay away. If someone has Covid they are more than likely asymptomatic and you wouldn't know that they had it so will spread it without knowing.  Didn't think that was a difficult concept to grasp. 

2 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Can anyone be sure when Covid deaths began in the UK?  The total number of deaths  is the concern, why ? Due to a new disease or living  standards falling for certain groups of people? 

I am almost sure I had Covid which started showing symptoms on Boxing Day. I had been in Milan 14 days earlier. I was seriously ill and looking back at the symptoms I am sure that was it. 

13 minutes ago, geosname said:

Excess deaths seems to refer to more than the average of a particular time period.. which is misleading at best.

They should only refer to the same period,  Either  annual,  a particular month or  part year,  compared  to  the average  a rolling 5 year period,    Supposed to average out good and bad flu years. The average life span in the North is in decline compared to the South being another factor.

46 minutes ago, WV said:

If someone has flu you can see they look ill, symptoms are obvious and you would stay away. If someone has Covid they are more than likely asymptomatic and you wouldn't know that they had it so will spread it without knowing.  Didn't think that was a difficult concept to grasp. 

Flu symptoms and Covid symptoms have a lot of similarities. Covid, is sore throat, Coughing a lot and a high temperature as it’s main symptoms which can be symptoms of Flu as well.

Another U-Turn, this time on facemasks for schools clouded in more communications confusion.

Johnson trying and failing with another baffoon style jokes around a "Mutant algorithm" to explain the mess up that was A levels.

At what point do we start to admit that he is indefensible in his complete failure to be the leader we needed during this time of crisis?

Omnishambles

13 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Another U-Turn, this time on facemasks for schools clouded in more communications confusion.

Johnson trying and failing with another baffoon style jokes around a "Mutant algorithm" to explain the mess up that was A levels.

At what point do we start to admit that he is indefensible in his complete failure to be the leader we needed during this time of crisis?

Omnishambles

Turtle Johnson given appropriate backdrop.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/26/books-seen-behind-boris-johnson-tell-their-own-story

Nothing of immediate alarm but I notice today that Stoke is quite high up on places to watch carefully. 

We've had several pubs shutting and that outbreak in Normacot. I thought it was reducing but it looks like it's going up slowly again.

Why can't people keep their distance? 

Cases in the UK are increasing again.

India had 72,000 new cases in 24 hours.

Mink farms in Finland? have discovered the minks have contracted the virus, scientists don't know if it's jumped the other way.

Reported the other day someone has contracted the virus for a second time..... which creates questions about the once bitten twice shy theory..... and if the virus has mutated so much the body can't recognise it, which raises questions about antidote/immunisation etc...... far to early to tell.

As I said before this is going to be a problem for some time...... especially with winter approaching.

Living slightly out of the area I made a trip to the Potteries Shopping Centre for the first time in at least 6 months this week, and I regretfully have to say I was amazed at the number of people who wore their masks under their noses, and also the number of people who quite simply had no intention of keeping a safe distance.

If this is the case in other cities I don't know, it probably is, but it was noticeable in Hanley.