• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, An announcement from OVF Towers... this evening I will be putting a few things in place to hopefully help some users out during the pandemic,  particularly during the self-isolation perio

I am a law abiding citizen. I have never even had a parking ticket and I am in my 60th year. I accept that the Government has had a very difficult job but they have made a complete horlicks of it. The

Just don’t understand the need for politics to become involved in this. It’s a world wide pandemic come what may. Let’s rally round together. Sadly impossible as too many keep trying to gain some form

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

It's been pretty bad at the supermarkets for 4-5 days now and seems to be getting worse each day. If only everyone shopped as normal...... The problem is that talk of lock-downs and shortages of Y & Z, plus pictures in the papers of empty shelves - all these things induce panic and anxiety and results in people queuing from 6.00 in the morning.

The other thing that is very annoying is that, despite the limits, some folk are going back in two or three times and loading up with far more than they need, leaving the rest of us with nothing.

We didn't need this crisis to tell us we live in an increasingly selfish society but how much food do you need? 

I'll have to have a word with Private Walker to see if he can sort me out!

My missus went shopping at 6am this morning to get my mum(88) ,who is housebound, just some basic stuff.She had to go to three places and still couldn’t get everything.Half the stuff the pigs are buying will be in bins next week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

One positive is the environment.  Pictures of the canals in venice etc...  it just goes to show us just how quickly the planet can recover, if we just stop!

Maybe that's why this is happening, to show us the error of our ways.

Fake news  https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/03/coronavirus-pandemic-fake-animal-viral-social-media-posts/ but do agree In the hope the Environment will benefit with what is happening. Pollution in China has decreased massively this year, my concern is the amount of disposable gloves and sanitiser bottles which will be added to the worlds plastic pollution.

Edited by philpvfc

My mother in law lives in Birmingham and alone. She has dementia and we get home help for her 3 or 4 days a week. My wife tries to get to see her  as much as possible so my brother in law has been doing what he can too. He got up 3 days now on the trot to purchase neccessities for Mum but found all the local shops were virtually empty. He spent 6 hours trying to get a carton of milk! 

I have just had to close down my self employed business in the Holiday Travel Industry due to all bookings being cancelled at least until June, but more than likely a lot longer than that. The Government cannot assist me as I am over the age required and self employed. I can't even claim any benefits. My wife and I are fortunate in that we have been prudent over the years with money(other than to pay out watching Vale home and Away) lol.  We can  cope.

Our local shops are similar to the aftermath of a cattle stampede so I sympathize fully with all who are having problems.  

We all need to look after each other and be sensible(fat chance of that with human nature being as greedy as it is) and keep as healthy as possible. I wish all Valiants worldwide all the beset in these harrowing times. We will all come together again soon, hopefully.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Fake news  https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/03/coronavirus-pandemic-fake-animal-viral-social-media-posts/ but do agree In the hope the Environment will benefit with what is happening. Pollution in China has decreased massively this year, my concern is the amount of disposable gloves and sanitiser bottles which will be added to the worlds plastic pollution.

That's a shame.  I had picked it up from my Upday news feed, that's obviously as crap as Facebook then.

Have been to Leek, Sainsburys and Morrisons.  Sainsburys have got loads of paracetamol if anybody NEEDS it.  Morrisons had loads of fresh fruit and veg and plenty of meat and fish.  Neither have tins, rice, pasta, bog roll etc.....

Morrisons has loads of Nappies as well, again if anybody NEEDS them.

Absolutely no social distancing at all and the number of groups of young people (not kids, 18,19,20) I have seen just carrying on as normal is alarming.  I myself was very much guilty of perhaps not taking this seriously enough however anybody who has just seen the latest briefing where the NHS guy (sorry I cant remember his name) was talking about saving lives and people not following the advise WILL cause people to die, would have seen just how emotional he was.

If you get it, you have a 1 in 20 chance of dying.  I know there are other factors but even so, those odds are frightening.  4 in 10 people over 70 who get it will die!

People, please stop being selfish.  Leave stuff on the shelves and take this seriously.  It could be your mum, dad, nan, grandad who dies.

• Like 1

A lass on BBC has just said that there is currently a billion pounds worth more food in folks homes than there was a couple of weeks ago.  That is utter madness.  England has a considerable number of extremely selfish, inconsiderate people who give no thought at all to the needs of others.  Some of the behaviour we have seen recently has been quite shameful.

2 hours ago, onestepatatime said:

My mother in law lives in Birmingham and alone. She has dementia and we get home help for her 3 or 4 days a week. My wife tries to get to see her  as much as possible so my brother in law has been doing what he can too. He got up 3 days now on the trot to purchase neccessities for Mum but found all the local shops were virtually empty. He spent 6 hours trying to get a carton of milk! 

I have just had to close down my self employed business in the Holiday Travel Industry due to all bookings being cancelled at least until June, but more than likely a lot longer than that. The Government cannot assist me as I am over the age required and self employed. I can't even claim any benefits. My wife and I are fortunate in that we have been prudent over the years with money(other than to pay out watching Vale home and Away) lol.  We can  cope.

Our local shops are similar to the aftermath of a cattle stampede so I sympathize fully with all who are having problems.  

We all need to look after each other and be sensible(fat chance of that with human nature being as greedy as it is) and keep as healthy as possible. I wish all Valiants worldwide all the beset in these harrowing times. We will all come together again soon, hopefully.

I can just remember rationing after the war, we don't want it back, but if that's what it takes... plus we will be fitter and you don't get fat on rationing. When my daughter does tea and butters bread, I tell her shes just used a weeks butter ration on 4 rounds...

anyway hope everything goes well with you all, stay safe...

Edited by Davebrad

7 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

A lass on BBC has just said that there is currently a billion pounds worth more food in folks homes than there was a couple of weeks ago.  That is utter madness.  England has a considerable number of extremely selfish, inconsiderate people who give no thought at all to the needs of others.  Some of the behaviour we have seen recently has been quite shameful.

It isn`t surprising after the tories claiming years ago there was no such thing as society and constantly knocking public servants, self reliance has become self preservation and total selfishness.

Only in this time of crisis have they recognised the vital role of the public services and not just for how much money their business friends can exploit from them. 

10 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I don't do food shopping, mrs does that, but went with her on Thursday, the number of youngish women late 20's early 30's struggling to carry 4-5 carrier bags out of the shop, was ridiculous, they will cause a shortage of orthopaedic beds in a few years time...

On 19/03/2020 at 20:16, toyahw said:

Okay, my wife had the second test  positive,  she's really not well but stable. Not in intensive care. Can't visit her. Not allowed. 

Sorry to hear that. I'll say a prayer for her recovery, and all your family. We're all in this together. 

• Like 1

I wonder how many people will be screaming when the credit card bills come in for all the stock piling they have done and no salary to cover it?

The supermarkets must be laughing all the way to the bank.

I'm not surprised politicians think the public are stupid.

9 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

It isn`t surprising after the tories claiming years ago there was no such thing as society and constantly knocking public servants, self reliance has become self preservation and total selfishness.

Only in this time of crisis have they recognised the vital role of the public services and not just for how much money their business friends can exploit from them. 

grow up and stop being bitter, this selfishness and "I/ME" attitude started when H&S and Human rights, came in years ago, teachers couldn't punish, nor could parents so the kids grew out of control, now they have kids and they do what the parents do...no thoughts of others just self self self....and I think the govt. is doing all it can to fight this virus, and help the people all it can, the corbyn chicken has kept his head down ,their front bench quiet as church mice, only red mac's said anything and that was "not enough",

• robf locked this topic
  • robf unlocked this topic