robf

Coronavirus

Useful online course, no prior experience necessary - will take a while but many have some time on their hands these days!

• If you’re looking for fact-based information about COVID-19 and how it spreads, I highly recommend taking Science Matters: Let’s Talk About COVID-19, a free course by Imperial College of London, one of the top public health research universities in the world.

1 hour ago, ollyandpatch said:

So a percentage of people are either losing their jobs or on short time, kids are now at home and they have trebled their shopping bill this month. Do the maths. 

Olly, do the maths.? There are three types of people in this world, those who are good at maths and those who are s**t at maths.

• Haha 2

“Spanish Flu” is thought to have started in the USA, it was termed Spanish because they were the first to admit having it due to their neutrality in WW1. I concur with JRC’s experience of China and Chinese people.

6 hours ago, TylerB said:

I may be fearing something like the worst, but the way things are right now would it be any suprise if football and other sports didn't start again until next year? Lockdowns will clearly have a big impact on the number effected, but surely once you start to go back to normality a little the whole thing will only flair up again? Even if it was we just one city it would create a panic and a lot of people would soon go back to living like hermits again. I can only see it becoming somewhat under control once a vaccination is offered worldwide to the general public, but we could be talking up to a year from now. 

Well, we are about to find out in China.

However the evidence from Italy seems to suggest that lockdowns wont work, you are effectively leaving people to die in there own homes.

I fully expect movement to be restricted for work and food shopping only in the near future.

However, we need to keep the nation active.  This promotes white blood cells which are useful when fighting a virus!  Total lockdowns make us sitting ducks.

Edited by Nofinikea
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MelbourneValiant said:

The tourists in Green Island in QLD do nothing but grot ....erywhere. They should be banged up.

Much like footballers and other sports participants.... and the old miners, along with others who work in bad conditions.

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

However the evidence from Italy seems to suggest that lockdowns wont work, you are effectively leaving people to die in there own homes.

I fully expect movement to be restricted for work and food shopping only in the near future.

However, we need to keep the nation active.  This promotes white blood cells which are useful when fighting a virus!  Total lockdowns make us sitting ducks.

Figures quoted this morning state that 40% of the population in Italy are basically taking little or no notice of what they have been told. There is a chance that people will be turned away from hospitals if it continues.Hopefully we have more sense in this country.China has declared no new cases but they are still in quarantine mode.

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

However, we need to keep the nation active.  This promotes white blood cells which are useful when fighting a virus!  Total lockdowns make us sitting ducks.q

Edited by Howjy04

You've got to do both things - test and trace, and stop people mixing.

We stupidly went for this herd immunity idea that has not worked and ran contrary to what the WHO and other nations were telling us - namely that you don't try and keep the fire burning steadily but instead try and put it out - by testing and tracking and isolating as many people as possible. If we don't know who has it and who hasn't how on earth can we stop it spreading?

The strategy changed 2-3 days ago, but hands up anyone who still thinks it was sensible to let all those travellers from China and northern Italy back through customs without being tested. Or 3000 AM fans into Liverpool city centre last Wednesday. But what's done is done and we need to learn lessons fast, increase testing and tracing, and if push comes to shove make people stay at home, however uncomfortable it is.

A great many folk are not taking this seriously enough and [as they are relatively young and fit] are assuming they can carry on as normal and it doesn't apply to them. The measures will get even more stringent if folk don't do as the government is strongly recommending.

The government policy has been a mess, their priority in my book was to keep NHS staff healthy and working. In this they seem to have failed with tales of basic safety equipment shortages and staff having to self isolate due to lack of tests and being dangerously exposed to the virus.

We have become a very selfish and ignorant nation this last 40 years and I am not sure we can change enough to get a good outcome through this.

I hope they don`t change the advice that getting outside but isolated  is good as that is vital to build up our immunity systems after a long winter to help us to fight off any illnesses.

I agree with you but whether we can all do it safely without going further is a moot point.

I take the dog for a walk twice a day and can easily avoid people by standing away from them or even crossing the road (if they're Stoke fans). But I still see a lot of people talking together side by side and having their usual chit chat as if nothing is happening. Shops too are rammed full and it's hard to not to get close to folk if you're shopping or queuing at a till.

I think I read where one of the French health ministers was encouraging people not to come into contact/go anywhere near more than 5 people max a day but even that is hard. The postman knocks on the door, the delivery driver, the window cleaner... it's quite difficult to avoid other people.

Let's hope the data swings in our favour but presumably we are expecting the figures to go up for, how long, weeks or months, or don't we have a clue?

I got an item this morning for an elderly neighbour. She communicated to me through a front bedroom window and I left the item on her step!

I have a bit of a conundrum, I have offered and older neighbour to do shopping for him. He hasn't taken me up as of yet but if he did - how could I demonstrate that I was shopping for him as well as us and maybe getting 2x the number of a restricted item. I think they might have to bring in ration books if people carry on taking the mickey and profiteering.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2020 at 16:37, geosname said:

A new question from the boys and girls in blue......

Excuse me sir/madam...... you look old..... can I see your papers?..... you could be a threat to younger people by dying in a hospital bed.

'You must come to the forest with us where you can end your days eating strudel'..

Press conference from the White House - Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine showed promise to treat COVID-19 and are being used in hospitals and will be available on prescription. Both are old drugs and available now.

Remdesivir from Gilead is a new drug showing promise but is still in clinical trials to asses it's safety and probably efficacy vs COVID-19,  it will be available for treatment under the compassionate use program..

Some hope and progress.

Humanity will get there as a whole. The Coronavirus might not be completely beaten, but in time it will be tamed. People just have to wait it out whether it's another few months, 6 months or a year from now. Fortunately we're at an age where you can do so much digitally if you just have the Internet, be it watch movies and TV shows, stay in touch with family via things such as Skype or do your shopping online. In the end maybe we will all appreciate things we perhaps took for granted a little more. They say you don't know what you've lost until it's gone... How many people are suddenly missing football so much and yet didn't realise it would have such an effect before? Maybe we can all learn a thing or two about ourselves and how we treat others during this time.

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Some hope and progress.

Maybe you will be interested in this Paul. In NL they have a test for antibodies, and are starting a large scale survey of blood donors to see how many have been infected/have immunity. Important stat. It is in Dutch but google translate does a decent job with it. https://www.ad.nl/binnenland/landelijke-bloedtest-om-te-zien-of-in-nederland-immuniteit-tegen-corona-ontstaat~ae8f611a/

Here in NL the rush on the supermarkets was pretty tame compared to the UK. And now all is pretty normal. Our PM informed us we had enough toilet paper to be able to <ovf censored> for ten years with no problem.

Living in the centre of town it is still easy to have a stroll or get your bike out for a spin without coming close to anyone. It is that quiet. No order for shops to shut, but non-essentials are. Due to lack of business I would guess.

All the same arguments going on here as in the UK Sage.

Yes, I think the Netherlands was following similar "herd immunity" theories as we were, so like us has been a bit out of step with other countries, hence the debate.

There does seem to be quite a bit of progress re-vaccine development, right across the world, so that gives us all some real hope.

I just get the impression from my own observations and from those of my daughter who lives and works in London that not enough people are following the advice. If they aren't, the measures will soon become more draconian (as in Spain and France) so to a great extent it's down to us all to behave responsibly. 

38 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I just get the impression from my own observations and from those of my daughter who lives and works in London that not enough people are following the advice. If they aren't, the measures will soon become more draconian (as in Spain and France) so to a great extent it's down to us all to behave responsibly. 

The bloke who was interviewed on the BBC News in London who said he would go where he needed to go and if he passed anything on then it was they who should have stayed in.......What hope has anyone got with that selfish attitude.

10 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

Latest research from University of Southampton on the effectiveness of societal interventions:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/11/research-finds-huge-impact-of-interventions-on-spread-of-covid-19