Coronavirus

robf

31 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

I think the protests in London show how desperate people are to break lockdown and I truly believe that a man driving 30 miles, standing by a river for 5 minutes and driving back would have had zero impact 

And his unnecessary trip to Durham which broke the rules 

47 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Why single out JRM? It was put to the vote and 242-185 voted to stop the remote voting.

Maybe because he was the one who designed the supposed system which went so terribly wrong yesterday. Also there were many others who couldn't vote, those who couldn't vote would most likely vote for the remote voting meaning the 242 wouldn't be a majority. 

9 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

Isn't it about 7% who have used Cummings as an excuse to break lockdown, i saw in a poll earlier?

I think the protests in London show how desperate people are to break lockdown and I truly believe that a man driving 30 miles, standing by a river for 5 minutes and driving back would have had zero impact on that.

I believe the media have had a greater negative impact on lockdown compliance hands down, by spreading constant lies about what happened and publishing sob stories that simply are not relevant to the Cummings case.

How many Labour MPs are we up to now breaking lockdown? about 7? Starmer still not sacking anyone?

Interesting you took this to a political “they did bad too” argument... sack them all too is my view.

Do you have a link to that poll, I would be ge yo let interested in reading it.

The o lay one I have seen says that 70% of Britons say it will be harder to get the lockdown messaging across to the public. And seen as you are keen to make this political, 59% of conservatives said the same.

And to use the Beagle method of arguing, what evidence do you have that the protests demonstrate that People were desperate to break lockdown.

Actually let me try again, I can be more Beagle like... You are wrong, you don’t understand why people are protesting, you are using it for your own political point.

On a serious note, your post boarders on belittling the reason people are protesting. There is a community that has serious concerns about their treatment, but you choose to state that they are only doing it because they want out of their house. Bit naughty that just to protect Durham Dom! Tut tut.

37892FEE-A6B7-49C8-951B-19DDA537FA53.png

9 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

Isn't it about 7% who have used Cummings as an excuse to break lockdown, i saw in a poll earlier?

I think the protests in London show how desperate people are to break lockdown and I truly believe that a man driving 30 miles, standing by a river for 5 minutes and driving back would have had zero impact on that.

I believe the media have had a greater negative impact on lockdown compliance hands down, by spreading constant lies about what happened and publishing sob stories that simply are not relevant to the Cummings case.

How many Labour MPs are we up to now breaking lockdown? about 7? Starmer still not sacking anyone?

It’s funny how language works isn’t it, how the use of a phrase “a man” to shield Durham from from the fact he is one of the lead protagonists in the lockdown strategy tries to soften his impact.

A slight change to your wording indicates that you truly believe that one of the lead government advisors that devised the lockdown guidelines driving 30 miles, standing by a river for 5 minutes and driving back would have had zero impact on people’s willingness to follow the advice he helped create.

Its been interesting reading your answers to my questions, and thanks for answering them.

My interpretation is that

1. You don’t fully believe Durham Dom’s story about his trip to Barnard castle 

2. You do believe he should be held accountable for his actions but within the bounds of due process.  

3. You don’t think his actions Influenced people’s willingness to follow the guidelines - your words are it would have had zero impact.

I was keen to see where we differed so much on this view, I know you are a Durham Dom fan and he is on your “defend” list... which you have every right to do. AsI have said previously, It would be boring if we all thought the same.

One additional question if I may... 

If you don’t believe all of the Barnard Castle story, why do you think it’s ok for him to make up the bits you don’t believe?

23 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I tend to agree with Joey Barton. 😉

That Dispatches programme was truly shocking. I suggest everyone watches it. A total annihilation of government policy. Unbelievable ineptitude. 

An overhaul of Scientific advice wouldn’t go amiss as well,Sage.”We’ve got this wrong “.

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

I tend to agree with Joey Barton. 😉

That Dispatches programme was truly shocking. I suggest everyone watches it. A total annihilation of government policy. Unbelievable ineptitude. 

Response online now from Health department.

12 hours ago, ginge said:

If Alok Sharma has it there will be a lot of politicians receiving a text/phone call and having to quarantine for 14 days.

I would have thought Barry Gardiner has a fair chance of catching it.Dont worry Baz,Keir will look after you.

A lot of expert advice was nonsense as far as I can tell, although some SAGE information is redacted and we can't see everything. Only what the government wants us to see.

I'm also wondering why Cummings and his mate attended meetings. 

Another issue I'd suggest is that there were 3-4 different bodies imputing advice and when you get over 50 people offering opinions it's hard to see the wood from the trees. Far too many people.

I think they also appeared to rely too much on behavioural scientists and mathematical modelling, ignoring public health experts as well as WHO advice. 

It's very hard to find anything that has gone smoothly and well, apart from building those Nightingale hospitals that were not needed.

I imagine we'll hit 40,000 today, on the government's own figures, and well over 60,000 excess deaths, the worst in the world. It really is sad, alarming and indefensible.

In the final reckoning it's the government that runs the country and makes all the decisions. 

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

A lot of expert advice was nonsense as far as I can tell, although some SAGE information is redacted and we can't see everything. Only what the government wants us to see.

I'm also wondering why Cummings and his mate attended meetings. 

Another issue I'd suggest is that there were 3-4 different bodies imputing advice and when you get over 50 people offering opinions it's hard to see the wood from the trees. Far too many people.

I think they also appeared to rely too much on behavioural scientists and mathematical modelling, ignoring public health experts as well as WHO advice. 

It's very hard to find anything that has gone smoothly and well, apart from building those Nightingale hospitals that were not needed.

I imagine we'll hit 40,000 today, on the government's own figures, and well over 60,000 excess deaths, the worst in the world. It really is sad, alarming and indefensible.

In the final reckoning it's the government that runs the country and makes all the decisions.  

Experts have been out of fashion, dogma and bean counters the order of the day. Knowing where to seek advice is the clever bit,  from what I have read only a narrow range of medical advice was sought, after all we do a lot of disaster work overseas with epidemics, famines, war zones, and so on.