Jump to content
robf

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

Just been to Sainsburys (Castle). A complete waste of time. 

I kid you not. 1/2 the shelves are empty. It's unbelievable. An awful lot of people are making life very hard for the rest of us.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I see in Germany people are now only allowed to buy Sausage and Cheese. It’s called the Würst Kase scenario!!!

Keep ‘em coming . We need humour now more than ever. 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brufen is not a good drug for older people for a number of reasons, shouldn’t be so readily available in my view. Don’t for goodness sake stop taking ACEi if you’re prescribed them. Whatever we might find out in the future the benefits far outweigh the risks unless you have a history of falls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Why aren't the stock markets around the world being closed down in these unprecedented times, any one know.

Good discussion here:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/nyse-floor-closings-markets-open-electronic-trading-coronavirus-51584385919

According to The Wall Street Journal, the New York Stock Exchange is drawing up contingency plans for electronic trading to take over if there are not enough brokers on the Exchange Floor.

Nothing will stop the declines until the virus has run its ugly, destructive course or until we have an effective vaccine.

It just illustrates how dependent we are on modern medicine: all is fine until a virus comes along for which there is no treatment and no vaccine and it's turmoil. It must surely have been like this for most of our ancestors. We have become complacent in the modern world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Loo roll does not  all come from China

25,000 tonnes a year from Leicester firm also, so no need to panic.

 

Theres a firm in Blackburn that make 2M rolls a day!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Good discussion here:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/nyse-floor-closings-markets-open-electronic-trading-coronavirus-51584385919

According to The Wall Street Journal, the New York Stock Exchange is drawing up contingency plans for electronic trading to take over if there are not enough brokers on the Exchange Floor.

Nothing will stop the declines until the virus has run its ugly, destructive course or until we have an effective vaccine.

It just illustrates how dependent we are on modern medicine: all is fine until a virus comes along for which there is no treatment and no vaccine and it's turmoil. It must surely have been like this for most of our ancestors. We have become complacent in the modern world. 

Thanks CD, read a bit of it before I was blocked.

We are dependent on modern medicine, particularly in this globalized world.  If the next problem is not another new strain of a virus it will be an antibiotic resistant strain of bacteria of which there are some now but fortunately they've been largely contained as I believe they're not as easily spread.

Crazily the majority of Pharmaceutical Companies have either massively scaled back or stopped their efforts to discover new antibiotics. Hopefully this will be a wake up call.

As an aside;

The corona virus brings a new meaning to the phrase, "Made in China".

Bet Frannie Lee has plenty of toilet rolls.

Edited by Paul6754
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

 

Crazily the majority of Pharmaceutical Companies have either massively scaled back or stopped their efforts to discover new antibiotics. Hopefully this will be a wake up call.

 

Antibiotics are no use against a virus.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a refund for 2 rooms 2 nights total £180 for non-refundable booking at Premier Inn. Well done was not expecting that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Just had a refund for 2 rooms 2 nights total £180 for non-refundable booking at Premier Inn. Well done was not expecting that.

I've had £226!  As you say, I'd written them all off so that's a nice suprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, toyahw said:

Antibiotics are no use against a virus.

I didn't say they were, if you read my post it refers to the existence of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria and the need to discover and develop new antibiotics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the news it seems that we are in for a very rough ride in next few weeks,schools closed on Friday night is just the start, I can see a total lock down coming for everyone very soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only shortages here seem to be hand sanitizer and face masks..... rumour has it large quantities were exported a few weeks ago.

The biggest shortages world wide seems to be common sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I may be fearing something like the worst, but the way things are right now would it be any suprise if football and other sports didn't start again until next year? Lockdowns will clearly have a big impact on the number effected, but surely once you start to go back to normality a little the whole thing will only flair up again? Even if it was we just one city it would create a panic and a lot of people would soon go back to living like hermits again. I can only see it becoming somewhat under control once a vaccination is offered worldwide to the general public, but we could be talking up to a year from now. 

Edited by TylerB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If lock downs of certain groups of people come into effect I doubt things will return to "normal".

Are we seriously considering imprisoning/arresting  people because of their age?.... do we extend it to people who have susceptible pre existing conditions?..... of any age?

We have not restricted movement into the country by law, we still import, do we sanitize everything and everyone involved? 

The suggested justification is to reduce the impact on the NHS..... think about the consequences..... about the implications..... alcohol has a massive impact on the NHS (usually at weekends) so ban the sale of alcohol?  Diabetes... ban the sale and use of sugar?...... where does it end?

In my opinion it's a giant step to far..... bearing in mind it's not because this group of people are the carriers of the virus but the likely victims.... since when do we penalise victims..... even if it is for their own good?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So a percentage of people are either losing their jobs or on short time, kids are now at home and they have trebled their shopping bill this month. Do the maths. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ollyandpatch said:

So a percentage of people are either losing their jobs or on short time, kids are now at home and they have trebled their shopping bill this month. Do the maths. 

= idiots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy