robf

Coronavirus

With Ireland v Italy rugby already having been cancelled and talk of Tokyo Olympics not taking place, could it affect football. I’m not bothered about the Euros as I don’t have an allegiance to international football. Could the EFL start taking action because of ppl gathering in football stadia. I’m no expert, just asking if they could take this action.?

Hopefully the coronavirus will peter out or the number of cases plateau when the warmer weather comes along as many viruses do, I guess it then heads off to the Southern Hemisphere?

15 hours ago, Wrex said:

I don't know why people keep holding up Australia as this great shining example for us all. Half the country is on fire and they're allowing an Indian company to build one of the world's largest ever coal mines.

Off topic - but for your information: the majority of Australians do not, repeat do not want more coal mines. Renewables not coal get the popular vote, but our Prime Minister is beholden to the Coalition National Party, not the will of the majority, for his tenure. It's the Nationals who want more coal mines - especially in regional New South Wales and Queensland.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Hopefully the coronavirus will peter out or the number of cases plateau when the warmer weather comes along as many viruses do, I guess it then heads off to the Southern Hemisphere?

Does temperature/weather conditions affect it?

40? Cases in Thailand,  average daily temperature 35c.

11 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

With Ireland v Italy rugby already having been cancelled and talk of Tokyo Olympics not taking place, could it affect football. I’m not bothered about the Euros as I don’t have an allegiance to international football. Could the EFL start taking action because of ppl gathering in football stadia. I’m no expert, just asking if they could take this action.?

I'd be seriously considering stopping the Premier League and forgetting this season ever happened...

It's about time that people in this country started to behave in a sensible manner and covered their faces when coughing or sneezing, and washed their hands after using the loo. 

Most men still don't do that and lots of people continue to walk around the shops and supermarkets coughing and spluttering with no attempt whatsoever to use a handkerchief or cover their mouths.

The number of times I've turned round and gone down another aisle! No wonder my wife gets cross with me when I get home with half the shopping missing!!

5 hours ago, geosname said:

It would seem not Geo. Numbers building in Oz - especially in the northern states. Only 2 so far in this neck of the woods, and we have mid to high 30c and 60% plus humidity.

37 minutes ago, Aussie Rules said:

It would seem not Geo. Numbers building in Oz - especially in the northern states. Only 2 so far in this neck of the woods, and we have mid to high 30c and 60% plus humidity.

There were plenty of Chinese visitors for Chinese New year and a lot are expected for songkran..... Thai new year.... not seen any restrictions on travel up here..... although a lot of Chinese visa applicants were segregated outside the main building..... after the entered for directions.

There is a lot of money riding on Chinese purchases of condominiums which may well be a factor.

18 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Anyway, how do you catch this virus from simple bottles of pop ?But seriously, why do people get so excited about these viruses ?

Over recent years there’s been bird flu, swine flu, ebola, SARS, et al.  It’s  like there has to be this seasons must have virus.

And how many people actually contract this virus let alone die from it on these isles ? Very, very few indeed. 

If you get it, you get it. But in reality you’re more likely to be served by Elvis in a chip shop than contract it. 

Just get on with life and stop worrying about highly unlikely scenario’s. 

Mind you, my throat is quite sore. 

RR you need to self isolate yourself.  Hopefully after Luton have a comfortable win on Saturday suggest you go the Incinerator. Sure to be plenty of wide open, empty spaces with little chance of any human contact.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TheSage said:

It's about time that people in this country started to behave in a sensible manner and covered their faces when coughing or sneezing, and washed their hands after using the loo. 

Most men still don't do that and lots of people continue to walk around the shops and supermarkets coughing and spluttering with no attempt whatsoever to use a handkerchief or cover their mouths.

The number of times I've turned round and gone down another aisle! No wonder my wife gets cross with me when I get home with half the shopping missing!!

It’s not just blokes who don’t wash hands after the loo. There are plenty of women who don’t as well. 

Thats interesting .....Dean Koontz  was writing about the coronavirus years ago, it's called Wuhan -400 ,he says in his book that it was a man made microorganism manufactured in 2020 and it only affects humans with a pneumonia like disease ...........Thats a mighty good stab in the dark from the 80's !! 

49 minutes ago, Mario said:

Thats interesting .....Dean Koontz  was writing about the coronavirus years ago, it's called Wuhan -400 ,he says in his book that it was a man made microorganism manufactured in 2020 and it only affects humans with a pneumonia like disease ...........Thats a mighty good stab in the dark from the 80's !! 

But in the 1981 book, which I have, it is Gorki virus, so forget the predictions 🙂. Back on topic it does seem inevitable, at the moment, that lots of events will be affected.  People have died of this, so although there is a lot of media attention, maybe too much. We should all be doing all we can to prevent it from becoming pandemic.   

8 hours ago, geosname said:

Geo, I don't know but in general in the UK and USA there are more colds and influenza in the winter than in the summer, what happens in a country like Thailand or Australia I have no idea.

3 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

RR you need to self isolate yourself.  Hopefully after Luton have a comfortable win on Saturday suggest you go the Incinerator. Sure to be plenty of wide open, empty spaces with little chance of any human contact.

That made me laugh. 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Geo, I don't know but in general in the UK and USA there are more colds and influenza in the winter than in the summer, what happens in a country like Thailand or Australia I have no idea.

Don't think I've had one since I've been here.

Sickness and diarrhoea from poor street food is very common

9 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Hi Paul,

The issue is not local climate, but ethnic mobility. Chinese represent 3.6% of the Australian demographic. Add to that Chinese student/holiday visas and we have, at times, approximately 4%.

What separates our Chinese Australians from most of us is their appetite for travel to the land of their birth/ancestors - and they seem to do so at the drop of a hat e.g. Chinese New Year in Wuhan. They went in their thousands. Many made it back home before the 'virus' was known. Hundreds are now stranded due to travel embargoes, especially students wishing to continue University courses.

It may be a chicken-egg conundrum: did our intrepid travelers unknowingly make home carrying the 'bug'? We don't know.

1 hour ago, Aussie Rules said:

Hi Paul,

The issue is not local climate, but ethnic mobility. Chinese represent 3.6% of the Australian demographic. Add to that Chinese student/holiday visas and we have, at times, approximately 4%.

What separates our Chinese Australians from most of us is their appetite for travel to the land of their birth/ancestors - and they seem to do so at the drop of a hat e.g. Chinese New Year in Wuhan. They went in their thousands. Many made it back home before the 'virus' was known. Hundreds are now stranded due to travel embargoes, especially students wishing to continue University courses.

It may be a chicken-egg conundrum: did our intrepid travelers unknowingly make home carrying the 'bug'? We don't know.

Yep AR that's why viruses spread easily from China to Aussie and also the USA but in the USA and UK viruses are also more seasonal being more prevalent in winter, cold air and sunlight being two of the reasons given, that's not to say cold's don't occur in the summer.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320099

• Thanks 1

On 28/02/2020 at 15:09, Mario said:

Just read a couple of his books Mario. Happened to pick one up in a charity shop , Brother Odd.  A good read very different,  glad I stumbled across him.