• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Coronavirus

robf

6 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Personal choice, you maybe "allowed to", but it is a personal choice of how safe you are going to be  since shielding covers a vast range of conditions.  Of more concern to me would be health/medical visitors to their residence, whether they are properly clothed or not.

Worrying story from Howjy above. Glad he's vigilant and trying his level best to keep everyone safe and well.

It does appear, more and more, than the big dangers are inside buildings with a lot of people in a confined space, breathing in the same air and being in close proximity to one another.

We'll still try and stay at home and avoid crowds if we can and I advise others, especially in high risk categories, to do the same for a bit longer.

Don't let's risk ruining what we've fought so hard to achieve.

Advert:

25 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Don't forget to pick winding country lanes and stick a young child on the back seat.

A 60 mile round trip should do it.

If you're really lucky, there's a million to one chance you might find yourself in a beautiful tourist sport with a castle and a river.

Probably quite a good choice if it was someone's birthday.

Or drive to another country to say hello to your Mum then brag about it.

19 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Worrying story from Howjy above. Glad he's vigilant and trying his level best to keep everyone safe and well.

It does appear, more and more, than the big dangers are inside buildings with a lot of people in a confined space, breathing in the same air and being in close proximity to one another.

We'll still try and stay at home and avoid crowds if we can and I advise others, especially in high risk categories, to do the same for a bit longer.

Don't let's risk ruining what we've fought so hard to achieve.

Common sense is the key, we cant rely on a Cummings government. Destruction of Infrastructure is a good read in the Guardian/observer, covers the state of the NHS

2 hours ago, bycars rob said:

She has at least apologised and admitted it and resigned from her position for a much less serious breach as did Ferguson.Dominic could learn a lot from that and as he and his supposed boss are in a position of government it would have helped the country to adhere to the laws if they showed at least some contrition. 

An apology and resignation of her position.  How to deal with the situation when you've made a cock up.

1 hour ago, Regal Beagle said:

So no constructive reply then.

Utter uncontrollable outrage at Cummings, not bothered in the slightest when it's the media/a random bloke/a labour politician.

I said more than once that this was all about Cummings and had it been almost anyone else, no one would care. I think that's clearer now than ever.

Cummings is senior adviser to the PM. He helped craft the lockdown and its dissemination.

Comparing this to some no-mark Labour MP is desperate whataboutery, and you know it. How are you still struggling with this concept mate?

It seems Cummings will survive, with his reputation knocked. I literally don't care, I just want a degree of meritocracy about this.

• Like 1

Advert:

56 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

So it is all about Cummings personally, rather than his actions?

Its about the fact he serves as the PM's senior advisor. Nothing to do with him as a bloke. Can't believe I'm still having to repeat this. He was part of the government that created and enforced lockdown, and then broke it with his drive to Barnard Castle. Therefore, his position as an advisor to the government should come into question.

I don't have to repeat myself to a class of unruly Year 7s as much as I do to you.

• Like 1

So no constructive reply then.

Utter uncontrollable outrage at Cummings, not bothered in the slightest when it's the media/a random bloke/a labour politician.

I said more than once that this was all about Cummings and had it been almost anyone else, no one would care. I think that's clearer now than ever.

It's always been about who he is and not what he's done.

More failure from his opponents.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So it is all about Cummings personally, rather than his actions?

Who said that?

I would suggest that driving a potentially dangerous weapon on a public highway with defective eyesight isn't the best thing to do.

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Its about the fact he serves as the PM's senior advisor. Nothing to do with him as a bloke. Can't believe I'm still having to repeat this. He was part of the government that created and enforced lockdown, and then broke it with his drive to Barnard Castle. Therefore, his position as an advisor to the government should come into question.

I don't have to repeat myself to a class of unruly Year 7s as much as I do to you.

A person is judged by his actions, that is how you keep or lose your job/reputation. If you own the business or have embarrassing secrets you can linger on,  but in politics you become an easy target. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I wouldn’t waste me time mate these people will never listen they’re blinkered and taken in by the lies and deceit this government comes out with on a daily basis 

Advert:

Would seem Cummings gave a press conference, told his story, and without independent review the people he works for, who have a vested interest in keeping him out of criticism, have accepted it and told people to move on.

I too hope if I ever get accused of anything I can just claim what I did was legal, despite some doubts from police forces and a good part of the general populace, and my company will declare me innocent with no external review. Sounds very fair and good for democracy.

Comes back to my analogy previously on me getting accused of wrongdoing at work; RB was correct to say I'd have the right to defend myself if I thought I had done no wrong, but that doesn't mean whatever questionable story I used to excuse myself would have to be accepted blindly by my employers, which is the case here.

Edited by Joe B

5 minutes ago, For Us All said:

It's always been about who he is and not what he's done.

More failure from his opponents.

That is the problem, people wonder what other lies he has told like the NHS bus and the wonders of No-Deal..  Get rid quick before he brings the house down

It is not a party political matter. It has no connection to Brexit unless the next round of negotiations are at Barnard Castle!

It's a matter of right and wrong. A matter of the health and safety of the UK.

He is a senior adviser to the government. He helped make the rules.

He's broken a number of regulations (when possibly infected) as well as the law (when he was supposed to stay at home).

He should have resigned or been sacked. Simple.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

An apology and resignation of her position.  How to deal with the situation when you've made a cock up.

She resigned from her shadow cabinet position.

Ferguson resigned from his advisory position.

Both of them kept their main jobs.

Kinnock was promoted to the shadow cabinet after his breach.

Tahir Ali, Corbyn, Rayner, Gethings, Jones, Jenrick all had no action taken.

Where is the consistency and why should Cummings be the only one to be fully sacked from his main job?

10 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Would seem Cummings gave a press conference, told his story, and without independent review the people he works for, who have a vested interest in keeping him out of criticism, have accepted it and told people to move on.

I too hope if I ever get accused of anything I can just claim what I did was legal, despite some doubts from police forces and a good part of the general populace, and my company will declare me innocent with no external review. Sounds very fair and good for democracy.

Comes back to my analogy previously on me getting accused of wrongdoing at work; RB was correct to say I'd have the right to defend myself if I thought I had done no wrong, but that doesn't mean whatever questionable story I used to excuse myself would have to be accepted blindly by my employers, which is the case here.

Agreed Joe, so it's up to the employer to decide and then back to the employee to investigate any appeal processes or counter suits such as constructive dismissal if they're not happy. (where there is no criminal proceedings)

It seems we agree on the process, just not that the process applies to Cummings.

Advert:

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Cummings is senior adviser to the PM. He helped craft the lockdown and its dissemination.

Comparing this to some no-mark Labour MP is desperate whataboutery, and you know it. How are you still struggling with this concept mate?

It seems Cummings will survive, with his reputation knocked. I literally don't care, I just want a degree of meritocracy about this.

Cummings is not a legislator

The no mark MPs are.

Cummings is not elected and therefore not accountable to the people

The no mark MPs are.

Cummings is accountable to his employer and to to the authorities, both of which have said no further action will take place.

The no mark MPs are accountable to the people and their employer (in their political party)

43 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

Cummings is not a legislator

The no mark MPs are.

Cummings is not elected and therefore not accountable to the people

The no mark MPs are.

Cummings is accountable to his employer and to to the authorities, both of which have said no further action will take place.

The no mark MPs are accountable to the people and their employer (in their political party)

The last one is debatable