robf

Coronavirus

This disease is different to any other I know of as the young do not seem to be vulnerable to it. Therefore is it possible that the drugs many of us take when we are older, play a part in this becoming  serious?

Ibuprofen and Ace inhibitor blood pressure (Ramipril etc) tabs have been suggested as possible suspects. Surely there have been enough cases worldwide by now to know which drugs have a bad effect on this as the first thing a hospital doctor finds out is what medication you are taking.

Asthmatics are advised not to take Ibuprofen so surely as this is a respiratory disease, it should be avoided if possible.

I hope we get some answers soon before we have caused a massive recession which will take an age to recover from.

I'm not an expert, Rob, but I don't think it's that.

The reason why older people are more vulnerable is two fold - their immune systems struggle more to cope with a serious illness, and of course most older people have underlying health problems anyway. So the two together, plus the obvious observation that the parts of the car are a wee bit older and rustier, necessarily means that >70 are more vulnerable. 

I know you said "becoming more serious" and not simply getting the virus and I suppose there might be some mileage in that. But it's possibly the fact that some medication we take can stop others from working well, so we have to be careful.

I think it was the French a few days ago who claimed that Ibuprofen might inhibit recovery (might) and they were advising paracetamol. The NHS website a week ago was advising either but I think that guidance now says paracetamol. It's a new virus and we are learning all the time.

16 hours ago, WV said:

Voted in just to "get Brexit done". If you voted Tory you should have known what you were getting. Money > lives. 

whats Brexit??????????????????????????????????

14 hours ago, eh up nah said:

On the toilet roll thing, is that seriously going to rectify itself?!

Called in at the little shop down the road just, thought I'd chance it.

Asked if they'd got any and then that weird thing happened where a smile slowly crept across the guys face and he started laughing..

Then I started laughing

Kept it up for 30 seconds or so!

I'm still finding it quite funny but, sooner or later, THAT moment is going to come! 

yes its quite a tissue!

2 hours ago, bycars rob said:

This disease is different to any other I know of as the young do not seem to be vulnerable to it. Therefore is it possible that the drugs many of us take when we are older, play a part in this becoming  serious?

Ibuprofen and Ace inhibitor blood pressure (Ramipril etc) tabs have been suggested as possible suspects. Surely there have been enough cases worldwide by now to know which drugs have a bad effect on this as the first thing a hospital doctor finds out is what medication you are taking.

Asthmatics are advised not to take Ibuprofen so surely as this is a respiratory disease, it should be avoided if possible.

I hope we get some answers soon before we have caused a massive recession which will take an age to recover from.

Have a look at big Doc. John's channel Slop.

He tends to update twice daily...

This explanation below may help a little?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

There was an item on The One Show last night about a company in Blackburn that produces loo roll and how there really is no shortage at all other than what has been created by numpties stockpiling the stuff. 

I bet a load of the food they are buying will end up in the bin because they won't have time to eat it before it goes off!

Loo roll does not  all come from China

25,000 tonnes a year from Leicester firm also, so no need to panic.

59 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Loo roll does not  all come from China

25,000 tonnes a year from Leicester firm also, so no need to panic.

It's crazy.  The buying of bog rolls is nothing to do with coronavirus and is entirely a man made act of sheer stupidity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/03/2020 at 15:06, Doha said:

Really? She changed nationality? That's amazing.

😂

Well she's not one of my best pals at the moment after I commented what I did and so I had to use "was" and not "is".

Edited by TylerB

I'm guessing we'll see even more stringent measures announced today or tomorrow, as the numbers continue to escalate.

We need to act more rapidly than we have done to date.The government has dragged its feet. School closures will help to stop the spread, though the fall out from it will cause additional difficulties.

From what I can gather there are still a great many people not heeding advice and social distancing themselves. And I don't just mean those who need to get out and go to work.

Even Johnson's father said he would carry on going to the pub. There must be an idiot gene in that family, although his sister seems normal.

Are we heading for a complete lock down, as in France and other places? Is it the only way to make people see sense?

2 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I'm guessing we'll see even more stringent measures announced today or tomorrow, as the numbers continue to escalate.

We need to act more rapidly than we have done to date.The government has dragged its feet. School closures will help to stop the spread, though the fall out from it will cause additional difficulties.

From what I can gather there are still a great many people not heeding advice and social distancing themselves. And I don't just mean those who need to get out and go to work.

Even Johnson's father said he would carry on going to the pub. There must be an idiot gene in that family, although his sister seems normal.

Are we heading for a complete lock down, as in France and other places? Is it the only way to make people see sense?

On the money Sage. We are playing catch up. Main worries for me lack of protection for NHS staff. And controversially would close pubs cafes etc. This is a drastic move but they are hot houses for spreading this disease, to many people are flaunting the Governments recommendations to not visit pubs etc, most of them like myself OAPs, nobody likes a beer more than myself, so I don't take this lightly.

5 hours ago, bycars rob said:

I suppose it depends on your sort of weakness.

I'm asthmatic but it's very much related to allergic reaction; I had a separate problem for which I needed an anti inflammatory and my GP had no hesitation in specifying ibuprofen as something that could help. When I went to the pharmacy I was asked the routine question and the pharmacist wouldn't give it to me because of my asthma. My wife bought it instead and I took it with no ill effects.

For that reason I'm not too concerned about coronavirus but it wouldn't be the same for everyone obviously. 

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

It's crazy.  The buying of bog rolls is nothing to do with coronavirus and is entirely a man made act of sheer stupidity. 

Herd instinct, better buy extra there is going to be a shortage, but not lots extra. 

6 hours ago, eh up nah said:

Brown rice is decent!

brown rice  seaweed and a jelly hot dog-good enough for bob Dylan!

Edited by geoff1
misquote

2 hours ago, Brown Edge Normski said:

I see the Eurovision Song Contest has been cancelled so not all bad news.

superb news

6 hours ago, bycars rob said:

BR, A GP is the best person to consult over what to take and what not to take. Ibuprofen is contraindicated for asthmatics and the biochemical reasons are well understood.

I would have thought any drugs used to treat asthma and COPD would be used to treat the respiratory problems caused by COVID-19 but none of these drugs would stop the virus infecting human cells, multiplying etc which is what is needed.

There are many antiviral drugs on the market but none have been developed specifically for this particular virus, the medical correspondent on tv here last night said just about every antiviral drug known was being trialed in the USA and around the world  to determine if any show potential to combat the virus and subsequent disease. Any of those drugs already on the market could be used right away, any in development would need to be safety tested etc.

There  are reports of at least two drugs that have shown some promise, Remdesivir which was originally developed against Ebola virus and Chloroquine an old drug originally used against Malaria but has been used to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis. Unfortunately I believe Remdesivir would need to be safety tested and hence it could take sometime before it could be used although the authorities could fast track it if it was very promising.