Jump to content

  • OVF player sponsorship 2022

    £10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Coronavirus


robf

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Can we please stop politicising this situation.  It's nowt to do with Tory/Labour/Leaver/Remain.  It's a situation in which we all need to be sensible, listen to advice, stop being so bloody selfish in the shops and try, for once in our lives, to behave like decent human beings.

That's absolutely the right thing to be doing.

I've just been to asda though and it is absolutely descocrated of anything "everyday."

Toilet roll isle exactly as reported and I tried to get some hand soap and surface wipes for my mum and you've got more chance of finding gold bullion in there.

Society is in a right old state I'm afraid.

Me, me, me, me, me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


3 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

No one knows exactly what the right course of action is but in the absense of a vaccine or specific drugs it seems sensible to stop the spread as much as possible.

Interesting to note the comments of Tom Hanks and his wife, Hanks is in his 60's and has contracted the virus and he says about his symptoms, ""We felt a bit tired, like we had colds and some body aches. Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too."  He's most probably in the 80% of people who will get mild symptoms. These don't seem the symptoms we should be "Closing the world down for" but I guess it's the 20% that have to be protected.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51921513

The Hanks were lucky. There are several cases where even healthy people have had a really bad bout, in some cases they had to be intubated. The Italian doctor whose comments were posted earlier in this thread gave a graphic description of how it's affecting even the young. Heard the Government's science adviser this afternoon saying it comes in two phases: if you survive the first, then you'll be well in 5-7 days; if you don't, you'll get a really nasty disease in your lungs, a bit like pneumonia. Then it's really serious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the toilet roll thing, is that seriously going to rectify itself?!

Called in at the little shop down the road just, thought I'd chance it.

Asked if they'd got any and then that weird thing happened where a smile slowly crept across the guys face and he started laughing..

Then I started laughing

Kept it up for 30 seconds or so!

I'm still finding it quite funny but, sooner or later, THAT moment is going to come! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was an item on The One Show last night about a company in Blackburn that produces loo roll and how there really is no shortage at all other than what has been created by numpties stockpiling the stuff. 

I bet a load of the food they are buying will end up in the bin because they won't have time to eat it before it goes off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

The Hanks were lucky. There are several cases where even healthy people have had a really bad bout, in some cases they had to be intubated. The Italian doctor whose comments were posted earlier in this thread gave a graphic description of how it's affecting even the young. Heard the Government's science adviser this afternoon saying it comes in two phases: if you survive the first, then you'll be well in 5-7 days; if you don't, you'll get a really nasty disease in your lungs, a bit like pneumonia. Then it's really serious.

Even young healthy people may have an underlying health condition they do or don't  know about and on the flip side some older people my have a perfectly working immune system are able to fight the virus/disease off.

CD, the point I was trying to make  is that all we''re hearing is gloom and doom for obvious reasons but there's no to very little feedback from people who've had the virus and are OK. If you're one of the 20% who get severe symptoms  then it is serious.

Must remember that in the Norther Hemisphere we're still in or very near to the peak of the flu and cold season which doesn't help matters.

Worth noting that 16 000+ people have died in the USA alone from the flu this year and that's after a fair proportion of the population have been vaccinated with a good vaccine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


** OVF UPDATE **

Please read this post for details of a new Coronavirus help and support forum area. 

This area will be:

  1. Open to everyone (even guests who haven't registered)
  2. Can be used by those self-isolating who need help with a task
  3. Can be used by those offering support to those self isolating (e.g. gardeners, dog walkers etc)

At the time of writing adverts are showing in that area but it is my intention for this area to make no advert revenue. I am not sure if I can switch all ads off but I will turn off as many as I can.

I hope some of you find such an area useful.

Keep safe,

Rob

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

There was an item on The One Show last night about a company in Blackburn that produces loo roll and how there really is no shortage at all other than what has been created by numpties stockpiling the stuff. 

I bet a load of the food they are buying will end up in the bin because they won't have time to eat it before it goes off!

It's also showing how boring we are! Baked Beans and tinned tomatoes all gone but you can still get bits of most things that require an iota of imagination..

Got loads of decent varieties of fresh veg in.

You can even go food shopping in Italy and they're on full lockdown.  Go every day or so and take what you need and no more.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

Even young healthy people may have an underlying health condition they do or don't  know about and on the flip side some older people my have a perfectly working immune system are able to fight the virus/disease off.

CD, the point I was trying to make  is that all we''re hearing is gloom and doom for obvious reasons but there's no to very little feedback from people who've had the virus and are OK. If you're one of the 20% who get severe symptoms  then it is serious.

Must remember that in the Norther Hemisphere we're still in or very near to the peak of the flu and cold season which doesn't help matters.

Worth noting that 16 000+ people have died in the USA alone from the flu this year and that's after a fair proportion of the population have been vaccinated with a good vaccine.

Yes, two sides of the same coin: the need to take this seriously; and not to panic.

One of the best things on this I've seen recently was Dr Corey Hebert, a professor at Louisiana State and Chief Medical Editor of the Black News Channel. Worth a look, just a few minutes:

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/03/16/dr-corey-hebert-explains-the-concept-of-flattening-the-curve-of-coronavirus-spread.html?&qsearchterm=Corey Hebert

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, WV said:

Except the forced closures of cafes, shops and schools. Yes exactly the same. 

I didn't say exactly the same did I?

 

And is that what you want? forced closures of cafes shops and schools and WV of OVF is happy? I'm just asking as it is open season for criticism right now which i think it quite harsh given the completely unprecedented and constantly developing nature of the crisis.

 

It seems to me that the Government, and to their credit, the opposition, are actually doing quite a good job in probably the most difficult time for the world since the war.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ginge said:

Tory MP Pauline Latham asked on twitter if 94 pound statutory sick pay was enough per week to live off in which she responded "get a life". Shows the sort of people we have in government. 

 

4 hours ago, WV said:

Voted in just to "get Brexit done". If you voted Tory you should have known what you were getting. Money > lives. 

 

It says more about the sort of people we don't have in Government. Imagine how monstrous you'd have to be to lose to people like this lady?

 

And WV - have you been listening to Sunak, Boris and the scientists over the last 2 days? Even labour are agreeing with most of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


2 hours ago, eh up nah said:

It's also showing how boring we are! Baked Beans and tinned tomatoes all gone but you can still get bits of most things that require an iota of imagination..

Got loads of decent varieties of fresh veg in.

You can even go food shopping in Italy and they're on full lockdown.  Go every day or so and take what you need and no more.

 

But you have to cook fresh veg - that's the problem.  Beans go in the microwave!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, eh up nah said:

It's also showing how boring we are! Baked Beans and tinned tomatoes all gone but you can still get bits of most things that require an iota of imagination..

Got loads of decent varieties of fresh veg in.

You can even go food shopping in Italy and they're on full lockdown.  Go every day or so and take what you need and no more.

 

In Mozzers they had sold out all of the rice .........apart from the brown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


This disease is different to any other I know of as the young do not seem to be vulnerable to it. Therefore is it possible that the drugs many of us take when we are older, play a part in this becoming  serious?

Ibuprofen and Ace inhibitor blood pressure (Ramipril etc) tabs have been suggested as possible suspects. Surely there have been enough cases worldwide by now to know which drugs have a bad effect on this as the first thing a hospital doctor finds out is what medication you are taking.

Asthmatics are advised not to take Ibuprofen so surely as this is a respiratory disease, it should be avoided if possible.

I hope we get some answers soon before we have caused a massive recession which will take an age to recover from.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not an expert, Rob, but I don't think it's that.

The reason why older people are more vulnerable is two fold - their immune systems struggle more to cope with a serious illness, and of course most older people have underlying health problems anyway. So the two together, plus the obvious observation that the parts of the car are a wee bit older and rustier, necessarily means that >70 are more vulnerable. 

I know you said "becoming more serious" and not simply getting the virus and I suppose there might be some mileage in that. But it's possibly the fact that some medication we take can stop others from working well, so we have to be careful.

I think it was the French a few days ago who claimed that Ibuprofen might inhibit recovery (might) and they were advising paracetamol. The NHS website a week ago was advising either but I think that guidance now says paracetamol. It's a new virus and we are learning all the time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    • Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please - Contact us here
    • If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here
    • Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here
  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...