Coronavirus

robf

Members of his own SAGE  subcommittee now making it clear they are bitterly disappointed in Boris’ defence of Cummings.

Three members of SPI-B, the Sagesubcommittee providing advice from behavioural scientists to government on how the public might respond to lockdown measures, reacted with disdain to Johnson’s defence of Cummings.

Prof Stephen Reicher, of St Andrews University, tweeted: “I can say that in a few short minutes tonight, Boris Johnson has trashed all the advice we have given on how to build trust and secure adherence to the measures necessary to control Covid-19.

“Be open and honest, we said. Trashed. Respect the public, we said. Trashed. Ensure equity, so everyone is treated the same, we said. Trashed. Be consistent we said. Trashed. Make clear ‘we are all in it together’. Trashed.

“It is very hard to provide scientific advice to a government which doesn’t want to listen to science. I hope, however, that the public will read our papers … and continue to make up for this bad government with their own good sense.”

54A984AB-F1B0-418C-8123-D7F597C23851.jpeg

Let's take the law out of the issue for a second, it's confusing at best.

Thousands of people from across the country have been unable to visit dying loved ones because of the restrictions devised and imposed by the government,

Farther's, mothers, sons, daughters lying on death beds alone, their loved ones unable to say goodbye because of restrictions imposed to try to aleviate similar circumstances affecting other families in the very near future.

Along comes one of the chief architects of the restrictions imposed on others. He has family in close proximity but decides to travel hundreds of miles in direct contradiction of the rules he helped devise initiate and impose on others with the "excuse" ... just in case!.... is it then unreasonable for the millions of others to visit family....."just in case"..... they get sick, they get hospitalised or die at some future date?

He should be sacked for undermining the public trust if nothing else.

All the people who have been fined or arrested under the covid "rules" should be reimbursed  for sitting in their gardens or walking the streets, at the very least they should appeal the decisions against them offering the "excuse"..... just in case..... as justification.

Cummings made a shockingly bad decision, Boris has compounded that by supporting/defending him. When all the bad decisions come to the public's attention the public will judge them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

If the chief of police was caught with a personal usage amount of drugs he would be sacked immediately.

That's unlikely mate.

More likely is an internal investigation, perhaps a referral to IOPC , the most probable outcome would be the "chief" would retire, keep his pension and benefits and take another job elsewhere and the incident would be swept.

3 hours ago, Doha said:

Go on then, off you go, explain why the police shouldn't investigate an offence.

That's a long long discussion but to break it down to its simplest form....

There are hundreds of reported crimes each day, some far more serious, that are not investigated. Why is this different?

I'm not saying the shouldn't. I think they should given the number of reports by neighbours of breaking lockdown that have been investigated.

At the end of the day it will cost the taxpayer thousands of pounds to impose a fine at best.

From a personal standpoint..... if a police investigation puts enough pressure on boris/the government and as a result he is sacked, go for it, raid his houses, his offices, his parents and family, with a warrant of course, and search for evidence...... put him through the same process as everyone else has to face..... he is only a ***** face weasel with an influential friend after all.

This may sound perverse.... but I don't want Cummings to bring Boris down.... I would prefer the accumulated mistakes over the virus to do that, which are far more serious and memorable, which should not only bring him down but keep him down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, geosname said:

That's unlikely mate.

More likely is an internal investigation, perhaps a referral to IOPC , the most probable outcome would be the "chief" would retire, keep his pension and benefits and take another job elsewhere and the incident would be swept.

Thats unfortunately probably true, but simply shows that process is broken also.

The example was to show that people in the public eye aren’t held to the same standards as everyday folk. That stands.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Thats unfortunately probably true, but simply shows that process is broken also.

The example was to show that people in the public eye aren’t held to the same standards as everyday folk. That stands.

Correct. And both Labour and Conservatives could have made a political gain. Boris sacks Cummings it puts pressure on Labour to sack Kinnock, Labour sack Kinnock it makes Boris look even worse. The SNP health minister was forced to resign by her party when she went to her second home and we hear no more of it, Boris should have done the right thing, completed an investigation, sacked Cummings and move on.

17 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

7C3896AB-B0BB-4699-89E6-C18EDB20EE34.jpeg

Anyone who works for Boris Johnson and tries to claim they are working against the elite is just another bad faith Tory. This whole thing is ridiculous. The nation is currently shocked that they got exactly who they voted for. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

Anyone who works for Boris Johnson and tries to claim they are working against the elite is just another bad faith Tory. This whole thing is ridiculous. The nation is currently shocked that they got exactly who they voted for. 

Being pedantic, only Tory members voted for Johnson,  the rest voted for a local MP.  Everyone knew what he was like.

13 hours ago, Joe B said:

Its because he's literally the most senior politician in this country bar the PM. Its not a hit-job. Its holding those in power to account, to the same level me and you are.

If Johnson, Sunak, Raab, Patel, Hancock did the same, I'd expect the same outrage. I'd be just as angry.

Its nothing to do with Brexit; that issue is done and gone. Stop inventing enemies. I haven't seen Brexit mentioned for months.

We're talking about the PM's right hand man here. That's why it is getting press coverage. Not some big conspiracy by the left wing press (ha ha) to bring down a Brexiteer. If Starmer had done the same I'd be just as critical, and would want the same scrutiny; the only difference being that Starmer hadn't been involved in the dissemination of the advice.

And you would have made some excellent points if he had actually done the monstrous things he is being accused of....

Just because he is a senior politician doesn't mean he should be sacked because a newspaper lies about him.

This is motivated by people who hate Cummings because they blame him for the success of vote leave and the 2019 GE. It is cystal clear. It's personal. It's Cummings.

Just take a step back and think about what he is accused of doing...Self isolating near his family because him and his wife were ill and he was concerned about childcare if things got worse. That's the heinous crime that has half the country in uproar.

I hope that when the dust settles he is still in position and people will realise that they've been caught up in this media debacle.

I fear that his position is becoming more and more untennable by the doubling down of the press. It's a dangerous precedent if they can remove the PM's senior advisor from his position because they do not like him.

12 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Not at all. Brexit has got absolutely nothing to do with it!.

That's not what Cummings said to the reporters outside his house last week.  He claimed they were wrong about his trip to Durham just like they were wrong about Brexit.

And to those who say, it's just because it's Cummings, they are absolutely correct.  Cummings has spent the last few years making enemies across the political spectrum.  He should have learnt the key lesson that you should treat people decently on your way up because you will need them on your way down.  If he treats people like s*** he can't be surprised when they return the favour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Correct. And both Labour and Conservatives could have made a political gain. Boris sacks Cummings it puts pressure on Labour to sack Kinnock, Labour sack Kinnock it makes Boris look even worse. The SNP health minister was forced to resign by her party when she went to her second home and we hear no more of it, Boris should have done the right thing, completed an investigation, sacked Cummings and move on.

But Cummings was breaking his own rules that millions had abided to at great personal loss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Regal Beagle said:

Just because he is a senior politician doesn't mean he should be sacked because a newspaper lies about him.

You don’t know it’s a lie...

If that was aimed at Boris, Farage, Cummings or Norman you would be screaming for evidence of such an accusation.

Where is your evidence that they lied?

I guess you only demand those standard when you support the cause they are aimed at.

Let’s wait and see what Durham police come up with now they seem to be starting a full investigation.

And let’s remember, Boris’ cheer squad will never admit they are wrong about this... they will back him whatever. The mood of the people will determine how politically damaging this has been for Boris.

I can’t imagine he is putting his head on his pillow thinking this is going well.

At least it’s a distraction to just how bad a job he is doing getting us through this pandemic. He will be glad of that at least!