2 hours ago, robf said:

There are journalistic codes of conduct and journalistic law. I used to work in news teams on websites and there is NO WAY you would simply publish a comment like that without several checks taking place... recording the source on the record, running it past the editor, the legal experts, getting signed statements from the witnesses etc. This is to safeguard the newspaper and also the clear implication to the source that they will be sued by the papers if they made it up. 

To suggest that you can simply call up a journalist with a wild claim and they would accept it and publish without fact checking is rubbish.

Not only that but the newspapers have confirmed these are statements from several different people so there's even less risk of it being a single individual making it up.

Finally the newspapers have actually named one of people who made the statements ("Robin Lees, 70, a retired chemistry teacher from the town") so he's prepared to have his name and personal details in the piece. In all likelihood is he really likely to do that if he made it up? 

Carole Cadwalladr has been fully disproven multiple times in her bombshell articles over the years. The evidence she relied upon was clearly wrong.

The media are distrusted now more than ever before. People trust them less than they trust the Government. Some figures even show that the US public trust their media less than Trump.

It's because they make stuff up, constantly.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, An announcement from OVF Towers... this evening I will be putting a few things in place to hopefully help some users out during the pandemic,  particularly during the self-isolation perio

I am a law abiding citizen. I have never even had a parking ticket and I am in my 60th year. I accept that the Government has had a very difficult job but they have made a complete horlicks of it. The

Just don’t understand the need for politics to become involved in this. It’s a world wide pandemic come what may. Let’s rally round together. Sadly impossible as too many keep trying to gain some form

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

If you are showing symptoms then it is fine to neglect your young child.

I'm sorry but that is not a country anyone of us really wants to live in. Partisan anti-Government sentiments aside. You are not seriously suggesting that people with Covid should make their 4 year old children care for themselves for up to 2 weeks?

Stop spouting rubbish.

Cummings has close relatives in London and a whole host of friends and colleagues nearby. He has access to child care on his doorstep if needed. All this nonsense about child care is a smokescreen.

If it had become an emergency, then someone could have come to him. That's what everyone else has been doing. Not travelling up the M1 and spreading a killer virus.

He is not supposed to leave his house if he's self isolating and possibly got the virus.

He should not have taken a child to another person's house.

He should not have left his home and stayed overnight in another house.

What part of the rules don't you understand?

We've lost nearly 60,000 lives in this pandemic and people like him who arrogantly flout the rules, that he himself designed, deserve everything they get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

It's not rubbish. Respected journalists have been writing about how LK, Peston et al just regurgitate government li(n)es now. And then there was the incident where they all tweeted about how a "Labour activist" had "punched" one of Matt  Hancock's aides during the run up to the election in December when nothing of the sort had happened. Bo checking there, just repeating the source's story.

I suppose it is the difference between a columnist who writes opinions, points of view etc, usually to reflect the wishes of his employers, and a journalist  who reports news.  Not that I am saying the boundaries are clear, but there are some subjects that have to be accurate, but  politics are murky.

9 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

I suppose it is the difference between a columnist who writes opinions, points of view etc, usually to reflect the wishes of his employers, and a journalist  who reports news.  Not that I am saying the boundaries are clear, but there are some subjects that have to be accurate, but  politics are murky.

They weren't/ aren't columnists though, they're senior news journalists who pass on 'leaks from senior sources' as fact. This is an interesting interview with The Telegraph's Peter Oborne.

59 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

They weren't/ aren't columnists though, they're senior news journalists who pass on 'leaks from senior sources' as fact. This is an interesting interview with The Telegraph's Peter Oborne.

As I said politics is murky, I don`t disagree,  just consider them as reporters reporting what that have been told without fully journalist investigation.

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

Stop spouting rubbish.

Cummings has close relatives in London and a whole host of friends and colleagues nearby. He has access to child care on his doorstep if needed. All this nonsense about child care is a smokescreen.

If it had become an emergency, then someone could have come to him. That's what everyone else has been doing. Not travelling up the M1 and spreading a killer virus.

He is not supposed to leave his house if he's self isolating and possibly got the virus.

He should not have taken a child to another person's house.

He should not have left his home and stayed overnight in another house.

What part of the rules don't you understand?

We've lost nearly 60,000 lives in this pandemic and people like him who arrogantly flout the rules, that he himself designed, deserve everything they get.

You are doing that thing again sage where you are ignoring the cast iron black and white evidence I'm putting right in front of you. Jenny Harries said this is an exception. The Government guidelines said that this is an exception. It's an exception.

You want the state to start legislating for who can look after your children and who cannot? This is where we go our completely different ways politically. The state has no business dictating to me or anyone else, who should look after my children for a fortnight if I'm unwell. That's it, full stop. Nothing more to it than that.

He has not flouted ANY rules in relation to this first trip. It's really, really, really simple.

There's NO evidence he put anyone else at risk. There IS evidence he was doing it to provide childcare for his young child. This deliberate misunderstanding and wilful twisting of the truth is really quite unsavoury.

It's a political hit job, quite clearly in my view.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

I see that Steve Baker MP and Juliet Hartley-Brewer, ardent Brexiteers and supporters of Cummings, are both saying he has to go.

Steve Baker wanted Cummings gone after the election...

Unless I'm mistaken he is more concerned with the circus itself, and stopped short of saying that Cummings had broken any laws, again, might be wrong on that if he's since clarified his comments.

Edited by Regal Beagle

2 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

The issue here is, do you think someone who reasonably believes that they have Coronavirus along with their spouse, should self isolate in their main residence for at least 14 days even if it means that they cannot care for their toddler adequately?

Do you think someone with coronavirus symptoms should be driving at all let alone hundreds of miles? 

7 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

Who wants every single journalist in this video to be sacked? come on, own up.

What do we think the punishment should be for their bosses if they deny they were doing it even when they know they did?

18 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

Who wants every single journalist in this video to be sacked? come on, own up.

Don't most photographers work on a self employed basis? 

24 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

You are doing that thing again sage where you are ignoring the cast iron black and white evidence I'm putting right in front of you. Jenny Harries said this is an exception. The Government guidelines said that this is an exception. It's an exception.

You want the state to start legislating for who can look after your children and who cannot? This is where we go our completely different ways politically. The state has no business dictating to me or anyone else, who should look after my children for a fortnight if I'm unwell. That's it, full stop. Nothing more to it than that.

He has not flouted ANY rules in relation to this first trip. It's really, really, really simple.

There's NO evidence he put anyone else at risk. There IS evidence he was doing it to provide childcare for his young child. This deliberate misunderstanding and wilful twisting of the truth is really quite unsavoury.

It's a political hit job, quite clearly in my view.

Are you real or related to Cummins—- unbelievable 

• Like 1

• robf locked this topic
  • robf unlocked this topic