robf

Coronavirus

Because of the globalization of the world there needs to be a world co-ordinated response/plan to try and prevent additional pandemics of this type.

This is the 4th Corona virus issue/ pandemic since the year 2000, In 2003 there was the 1st SARS outbreak which originated in China,  in 2012 the MERS virus originated in the Middle East and spread to Korea in 2015 and now this new Corona Virus,, SARS-CoV2,  which again originated in China.

The 2003, 2012 and 2015 viruses were more lethal to humans than the current Corona Virus but didn't spread as easily, heaven help us if  there is ever a virus which is very contagious and lethal.

Farming and market trading conditions in China should be high priority to be looked at as well as the conditions that allow a virus to spread from Camels to humans in the Middle East to produce MERS. The west and all parts of the world should be included in any review.

It is being reported that the over 70's could be asked to self contain for up to 4 months,this is a serious pandemic nothing to do with those that are saying it's not as bad as flu,well it might not be but it's causing far greater chaos to every day living.

My main worry remains and that is the civil side of things, one poster on here has said he wont sit around in his pants for a fortnight, well thats fine but there is a bigger picture and I hope and pray the population follow instructions given by the government and dont go down the road of "No one tells me what to do ".

It's not just the elderly but millions of people who have underlying health problems who are/will be at risk.

During the 2nd World War the population pulled together and were compliant in the face of adversity I say again I just hope the modern generation can follow their example.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Mario said:

It is being reported that the over 70's could be asked to self contain for up to 4 months,this is a serious pandemic nothing to do with those that are saying it's not as bad as flu,well it might not be but it's causing far greater chaos to every day living.

My main worry remains and that is the civil side of things, one poster on here has said he wont sit around in his pants for a fortnight, well thats fine but there is a bigger picture and I hope and pray the population follow instructions given by the government and dont go down the road of "No one tells me what to do ".

It's not just the elderly but millions of people who have underlying health problems who are/will be at risk.

During the 2nd World War the population pulled together and were compliant in the face of adversity I say again I just hope the modern generation can follow their example.

I'm sure that even in the war years the selfish and the avaricious were with us; they were generally dealt with by the law and their activities not publicised to maintain morale. There were many, many more who did think of others and that's what was remembered. Hopefully the same thing will happen in the here and now.

China has supplied Italy with 1,000 ventilators,2 million masks and donated 100,000 respirators,20,000 protective suits and 50,000 test kits as part of a massive aid package.
Meanwhile,the EU has fined Italy €7.5million for subsidising their hotel industry during the shutdown.
That'll teach 'em?

China has offered Italy a contract to ‘buy’ 1000 ventilators, not a gift.

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

Because of the globalization of the world there needs to be a world co-ordinated response/plan to try and prevent additional pandemics of this type.

This is the 4th Corona virus issue/ pandemic since the year 2000, In 2003 there was the 1st SARS outbreak which originated in China,  in 2012 the MERS virus originated in the Middle East and spread to Korea in 2015 and now this new Corona Virus,, SARS-CoV2,  which again originated in China.

The 2003, 2012 and 2015 viruses were more lethal to humans than the current Corona Virus but didn't spread as easily, heaven help us if  there is ever a virus which is very contagious and lethal.

Farming and market trading conditions in China should be high priority to be looked at as well as the conditions that allow a virus to spread from Camels to humans in the Middle East to produce MERS. The west and all parts of the world should be included in any review.

Agree with your comments. Once again the whole world is suffering a dangerous pandemic, created by the Chinese. But is there any country that will take them to task.

3 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

Agree with your comments. Once again the whole world is suffering a dangerous pandemic, created by the Chinese. But is there any country that will take them to task.

They say the best form of defence is attack.........

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-03-12/china-says-immoral-and-irresponsible-us-officials-shift-coronavirus-blame

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/02/china-blames-united-states-coronavirus/

1 hour ago, Heatwave said:

I'm sure that even in the war years the selfish and the avaricious were with us; they were generally dealt with by the law and their activities not publicised to maintain morale. There were many, many more who did think of others and that's what was remembered. Hopefully the same thing will happen in the here and now.

There was the Black Market and profiteering, nowadays Amazon and Ebay have taken action against rip -off merchants.

39 minutes ago, Mario said:

Worse case scenario ?  Death forecast 300/500, 000

6 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Worse case scenario ?  Death forecast 300/500, 000

Contingency planning for a swine-flu pandemic in the 2000s included industrial incineration of bodies as there might be too many for crematoria, but in reality we never got close to it.   Let's hope the same or similar applies now.

• Thanks 1

The media in general are complete <ovf censored>. Nothing but if, buts and maybe's. They know scare mongering gets people's attention. They might as well make an article stating that aliens COULD or MIGHT invade Earth next year and it would be to our demise. Parasites!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TylerB said:

The media in general are complete <ovf censored>. Nothing but if, buts and maybe's. They know scare mongering gets people's attention. They might as well make an article stating that aliens COULD or MIGHT invade Earth next year and it would be to our demise. Parasites!

I agree, shame on them . Vultures , who prey on the fears of ordinary people , especially the elderly. Just to get a <ovf censored> story. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tommytunstall said:

TT,  IMHO It shouldn't be the responsibility of any one country but of a pan global agency like the UN or something similar with clout as if current practices continue it's not much of a stretch to think the world will have a lethal, contagious virus/microorganism on it's hands in the not too distant future.

I would much prefer to see the UN spend more time and effort dealing with this issue than the fictitious climate crisis.

• Confused 1

I know it’s difficult for some people but we need to do as we are told .There are too many would be medical experts out there.I’ll listen and take advice from the ones that have the knowledge.We need to look after ourselves and those close to us,for starters.

11 hours ago, tommytunstall said:

I'm not sure it was created by anyone.... if memory serves it was first noted at a fish market.... it's possible the Chinese tried to suppress it and the doctor who first noticed it.

44 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

I know it’s difficult for some people but we need to do as we are told .There are too many would be medical experts out there.I’ll listen and take advice from the ones that have the knowledge.We need to look after ourselves and those close to us,for starters.

I'm not keen on simply "doing as we are told"....... being sensible and practical would be good but that doesn't seem to be in our capability.

Daily updates from the source may help, instead of snippets here and there, and facts not guesses would certainly help.

How long is the incubation period? How long can the bacteria survive without a host? Etc etc etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, geosname said:

I'm not sure it was created by anyone.... if memory serves it was first noted at a fish market.... it's possible the Chinese tried to suppress it and the doctor who first noticed it.

A fish market that also sold wild animals and had living and dead creatures of every description in very close proximity, a recipe for disaster as viruses can hop between species that normally would never come within a hundred miles of each other. One of the species at the market of course being humans.

Most Chinese don't have anything to do with this wildlife trade. Just like most British people are against fox hunting. But it still goes on. Hopefully China's authoritarian regime will properly regulate/outlaw and crack down on these markets in the future. Animal suffering has now become human suffering.