I'm worried about this winter and I hope we're much better prepared than we were last time.

I'm sure the warmer weather has helped slow the virus down. People said "ah look at Iran etc they have been hit by the virus and it's hot there". But if a sick person gets off a plane, gets on a bus, people get off the bus and go into air conditioned buildings, then it's not like the virus is baking in the midday sun.

We have to get the economy moving again now and make preparations for the winter so that we can live our lives as normally as possible without the virus completing devastating our future. We can't keep lockdown going for the rest of the year, we at least need a break before locking down again in the winter. Hopefully ongoing social distancing measures will avoid the need for a further lockdown.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, An announcement from OVF Towers... this evening I will be putting a few things in place to hopefully help some users out during the pandemic,  particularly during the self-isolation perio

I am a law abiding citizen. I have never even had a parking ticket and I am in my 60th year. I accept that the Government has had a very difficult job but they have made a complete horlicks of it. The

Just don’t understand the need for politics to become involved in this. It’s a world wide pandemic come what may. Let’s rally round together. Sadly impossible as too many keep trying to gain some form

Posted Images

10 hours ago, toyahw said:

Herd immunity isn't a "notion" Sage. It  is what protects us from many viruses. Whether this is a good path to follow at this point in time is a very different question. Only time will tell. 

Agreed.  Maybe I didn't put it very clearly but I was really referring to the belief on here by one or two posters earlier that actively pursuing herd immunity was the way to go. 

And, as I said, odd cities apart (Madrid I think was estimated at 11%) the evidence, such as we have it, seems to indicate far fewer people have got the antibodies than some "experts" thought. 

It's still a bit of an unknown isn't it? 

There was another report (speculative) yesterday that reckoned if we'd shut down earlier..... But that's another argument entirely.

7 hours ago, Wrex said:

The media and those in power often see London as the be all and end all, so we should continue to be cautious in our day to day life here as lock down eases and the virus fades away in the capital.

I think that's a good point. Everything, every policy decision revolves round London - largely because it's the economic motor of the country and centre of government - but each region is at a different moment in time.

30 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I think that's a good point. Everything, every policy decision revolves round London - largely because it's the economic motor of the country and centre of government - but each region is at a different moment in time.

Problem with the country, too much controlled from one place.   London has its own problems as well, highly reliant on public transport.  Lots of jobs can be done from home, but  jobs that cant means cramming onto the tube if anything approaching normality is to happen.

• Like 1

Sage scientist says tackling pandemic earlier would have 'made quite a big difference'

Acting earlier to tackle the coronavirus pandemic would have “made quite a big difference” to the death rate, according to one of the government’s scientific advisers.

Sir Ian Boyd, a member of the Sage scientific advisory group, told the BBC that the number one issue was whether ministers could have acted earlier.

He also said he believed that some politicians “would have loved” to have reacted earlier, but that they thought it would not be feasible.

Speaking on the BBC’s Coronavirus Newscast, Boyd said: “Acting very early was really important and I would have loved to have seen us acting a week or two weeks earlier and it would have made quite a big difference to the steepness of the curve of infection and therefore the death rate.

“And I think that’s really the number one issue: could we have acted earlier?

“Were the signs there earlier on?”

He continued: “One could point the finger at ministers and politicians for not being willing to listen to scientific advice.

“You could point the finger at scientists for not actually being explicit enough.

“But at the end of the day all these interact with public opinion as well.

“And I think some politicians would have loved to have reacted earlier but in their political opinion it probably wasn’t feasible because people wouldn’t have perhaps responded in the way they eventually did.”

10 hours ago, Wrex said:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/21/17-londoners-5-rest-uk-have-coronavirus-antibodies-12739901/

London may be at 17% compared to the nation's 5% average.

The media and those in power often see London as the be all and end all, so we should continue to be cautious in our day to day life here as lockdown eases and the virus fades away in the capital.

London had no new cases a couple of days ago and its been 2 weeks since new cases were above 100 for a single day.

Very dangerous to follow advice for the whole country based purely on London as the two are in very different places "Curve" wise.

12 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/tens-thousands-coronavirus-tests-have-double-counted-officials/

In summary, one patient tested using saliva and nasal fluids At the same time counted as 2 tests to hit the target set.

Plus all the tests that were put in the post, and never saw the light of day, to enable them to say they were doing 100k a day. The next Bluff is the Trace and Test promised to get the schools back in June. Boris has said it will be ready at the beginning of June, but he didn't say which June.

4 hours ago, Doha said:

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

Oi! Scruffy git....... did you go see your mum during the lockdown?

Yes

Ok.

If Carlsberg did investigations........

5 hours ago, Mario said:

Who do you suppose works in the positivity department at the BBC ? I think they must have been furloughed.

The whole department....... 3 chief executives.... 12 deputy chief executives.... and one foot soldier, sorry reporter....... were transfered to the clap counting department in this time of national crisis.  

A number of other workers were assigned to sift through the thousands of deaths to highlight the front line deaths.

6 hours ago, geosname said:

Yes

Ok.

Cummings is a ****,no question.Was that at the same time as when Stephen Kinnock did a 300 mile trip to visit his father for a birthday party?**** them both off ,just to balance things up a little bit.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

Cummings is a ****,no question.Was that at the same time as when Stephen Kinnock did a 300 mile trip to visit his father for a birthday party?**** them both off ,just to balance things up a little bit.

A few crucial details different here. Kinnock wasn`t suffering with covid symptoms and he didn`t stay there. He simply visited to drop off presents and sat in the yard. In no way are the two misdemeaners the same.

Of all the damage to this country Cummings has done, spreading this virus around the country is quite a minor one in my opinion. 

Edited by bycars rob

14 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

A few crucial details different here. Kinnock wasn`t suffering with covid symptoms and he didn`t stay there. He simply visited to drop off presents and sat in the yard. In no way are the two misdemeaners the same.

Of all the damage to this country Cummings has done, spreading this virus around the country is quite a minor one in my opinion. 

Lockdown means Lockdown.Stay Home meant Stay Home.My grandson still can’t visit me, at my home.You are completely wrong and your attitude suggests you are among those who have flouted the rules if you think it was ok to travel 300 miles to drop off a ***ing present.Have the Kinnocks heard of FaceTime or Online or possibly Phones?

20 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

I doubt Cummings can be sacked as Boris has knobbed off on holiday again hasn`t he?

He must be due one as he has worked for about 3 weeks straight now.

Honestly?

8 hours ago, geosname said:

Yes

Ok.

This will be a real test of integrity for Boris and the government. 

• robf locked this topic
  • robf unlocked this topic