Jump to content
robf

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

Fair play, I'd not heard about Raab although did see Hancock got a telling off.

Ooops yeah, I wrote the wrong one. It was Hancock and not Raab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh dear,HC-1 care company,Skye..Over 300 care homes in the UK.Previous form which was investigated by Panorama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, geosname said:

Labour/starmer supporters are diverting FOR the Tories....... interesting theory.

NO. They are continuing to argue. People are criticising Starmer to divert the attention and they are defending. 

...... interesting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A win for politics today!

Starmer challenges the government on the NHS surcharge for care workers.

Johnson has backed down and amended to bill to remove it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Iron Curtain said:

A win for politics today!

Starmer challenges the government on the NHS surcharge for care workers.

Johnson has backed down and amended to bill to remove it. 

Well done both of them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There does seem to be a bit of light at the end of this tunnel but a word of caution.

From most studies I've seen only around 5% of the population seem to have developed anti-bodies. It might be more in places like London and Stockholm and Madrid but nationally, overall, it appears only to be around the 5% mark, maybe slightly higher.

These are the figures from France and Spain and Norway and a few other places. I think the ONS came up with a similar number today.

Seems like the notion of herd immunity isn't working, unsurprisingly. Sweden's figures remain worryingly high and the sooner we can find a vaccine the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheSage said:

 

Seems like the notion of herd immunity isn't working, unsurprisingly.

Herd immunity isn't a "notion" Sage. It  is what protects us from many viruses. Whether this is a good path to follow at this point in time is a very different question. Only time will tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that 5% figure is accurate, then the idea that perhaps you could take it on the chin, take it all in one go and allow the disease, as it were, to move through the population, could have resulted in a total number of deaths nearing seven figures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheSage said:

There does seem to be a bit of light at the end of this tunnel but a word of caution.

From most studies I've seen only around 5% of the population seem to have developed anti-bodies. It might be more in places like London and Stockholm and Madrid but nationally, overall, it appears only to be around the 5% mark, maybe slightly higher.

These are the figures from France and Spain and Norway and a few other places. I think the ONS came up with a similar number today.

Seems like the notion of herd immunity isn't working, unsurprisingly. Sweden's figures remain worryingly high and the sooner we can find a vaccine the better.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/21/17-londoners-5-rest-uk-have-coronavirus-antibodies-12739901/

London may be at 17% compared to the nation's 5% average.

The media and those in power often see London as the be all and end all, so we should continue to be cautious in our day to day life here as lockdown eases and the virus fades away in the capital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm worried about this winter and I hope we're much better prepared than we were last time.

I'm sure the warmer weather has helped slow the virus down. People said "ah look at Iran etc they have been hit by the virus and it's hot there". But if a sick person gets off a plane, gets on a bus, people get off the bus and go into air conditioned buildings, then it's not like the virus is baking in the midday sun.

We have to get the economy moving again now and make preparations for the winter so that we can live our lives as normally as possible without the virus completing devastating our future. We can't keep lockdown going for the rest of the year, we at least need a break before locking down again in the winter. Hopefully ongoing social distancing measures will avoid the need for a further lockdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can finally praise this government, well done to Boris in listening to Keir Starmer and  dropping that mean spirited health surcharge on health and care workers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, toyahw said:

Herd immunity isn't a "notion" Sage. It  is what protects us from many viruses. Whether this is a good path to follow at this point in time is a very different question. Only time will tell. 

Agreed.  Maybe I didn't put it very clearly but I was really referring to the belief on here by one or two posters earlier that actively pursuing herd immunity was the way to go. 

And, as I said, odd cities apart (Madrid I think was estimated at 11%) the evidence, such as we have it, seems to indicate far fewer people have got the antibodies than some "experts" thought. 

It's still a bit of an unknown isn't it? 

There was another report (speculative) yesterday that reckoned if we'd shut down earlier..... But that's another argument entirely.

7 hours ago, Wrex said:

The media and those in power often see London as the be all and end all, so we should continue to be cautious in our day to day life here as lock down eases and the virus fades away in the capital.

I think that's a good point. Everything, every policy decision revolves round London - largely because it's the economic motor of the country and centre of government - but each region is at a different moment in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, TheSage said:

 

I think that's a good point. Everything, every policy decision revolves round London - largely because it's the economic motor of the country and centre of government - but each region is at a different moment in time.

Problem with the country, too much controlled from one place.   London has its own problems as well, highly reliant on public transport.  Lots of jobs can be done from home, but  jobs that cant means cramming onto the tube if anything approaching normality is to happen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sage scientist says tackling pandemic earlier would have 'made quite a big difference'

Acting earlier to tackle the coronavirus pandemic would have “made quite a big difference” to the death rate, according to one of the government’s scientific advisers.

Sir Ian Boyd, a member of the Sage scientific advisory group, told the BBC that the number one issue was whether ministers could have acted earlier.

He also said he believed that some politicians “would have loved” to have reacted earlier, but that they thought it would not be feasible.

Speaking on the BBC’s Coronavirus Newscast, Boyd said: “Acting very early was really important and I would have loved to have seen us acting a week or two weeks earlier and it would have made quite a big difference to the steepness of the curve of infection and therefore the death rate.

“And I think that’s really the number one issue: could we have acted earlier?

“Were the signs there earlier on?”

He continued: “One could point the finger at ministers and politicians for not being willing to listen to scientific advice.

“You could point the finger at scientists for not actually being explicit enough.

“But at the end of the day all these interact with public opinion as well.

“And I think some politicians would have loved to have reacted earlier but in their political opinion it probably wasn’t feasible because people wouldn’t have perhaps responded in the way they eventually did.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wrex said:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/21/17-londoners-5-rest-uk-have-coronavirus-antibodies-12739901/

London may be at 17% compared to the nation's 5% average.

The media and those in power often see London as the be all and end all, so we should continue to be cautious in our day to day life here as lockdown eases and the virus fades away in the capital.

London had no new cases a couple of days ago and its been 2 weeks since new cases were above 100 for a single day.

Very dangerous to follow advice for the whole country based purely on London as the two are in very different places "Curve" wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who do you suppose works in the positivity department at the BBC ? I think they must have been furloughed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy