robf

Coronavirus

The elderly are much more at risk to death/serious illness from the coronavirus, the flu and illnesses in general because the older a person is the less efficient their immune system is. However,  that's not to say that all young people have a very efficient immune system or don't have serious underlying conditions.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Heatwave said:

It's over a shorter season so reduced effect.

The players and staff will still have to be paid,a shorter season means a smaller revenue causing a cash flow problem.

11 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

The elderly are much more at risk to death/serious illness from the coronavirus, the flu and illnesses in general because the older a person is the less efficient their immune system is. However,  that's not to say that all young people have a very efficient immune system or don't have serious underlying conditions.

The account published earlier by the Italian doctor in Bergamo describes young patients having to be intubated and this is confirmed by other reports coming out that no respirators are available for people over the age of 80. In other words, they are letting them die to save younger, fitter patients who have a chance of survival. That’s probably why Italy’s fatality rate was the highest ever yesterday. How serious is that?

This is definitely a deadly disease. Colder weather to come next week I think but after that hopefully it will warm up and help to destroy the virus. Never have I wanted summer to come so quickly. 

1 hour ago, CambridgeDon said:

The account published earlier by the Italian doctor in Bergamo describes young patients having to be intubated and this is confirmed by other reports coming out that no respirators are available for people over the age of 80. In other words, they are letting them die to save younger, fitter patients who have a chance of survival. That’s probably why Italy’s fatality rate was the highest ever yesterday. How serious is that?

This is definitely a deadly disease. Colder weather to come next week I think but after that hopefully it will warm up and help to destroy the virus. Never have I wanted summer to come so quickly. 

I wonder what the age cut off will be for respirators in the UK?

18 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

great im 70 thanks!

19 hours ago, Mario said:

The players and staff will still have to be paid,a shorter season means a smaller revenue causing a cash flow problem.

It's really not that different.

If this season is extended, say to August, there will still need to be a pre season break so the new season could begin at the start of October. Playing 36 games between then and May would not be much different to playing 46 games between August and May as in a regular season. 

The time causing a cash flow problem would be between now and whenever the season restarts. That no one can do much about unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, geoff1 said:

great im 70 thanks!

Don't listen to the fear provoking <ovf censored> mate.

Everyone is in unknown territory with this one.

We all need to take care and make sure we're doing the best we can for each other (which doesnt include the virtual looting that people seem to have taken to).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eh up nah said:

Don't listen to the fear provoking <ovf censored> mate.

Everyone is in unknown territory with this one.

We all need to take care and make sure we're doing the best we can for each other (which doesnt include the virtual looting that people seem to have taken to).

FYI, from the Center of Disease Control in the USA.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html

And from the AARP in the USA.

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2020/coronavirus-severe-seniors.html

13 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

FYI, from the Center of Disease Control in the USA.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html

And from the AARP in the USA.

Thanks

Please dont think I was pointing at you there.  The sensored word was referring to the general rubbish that's getting posted on social media that we could all do without. 

You'll be fine mate, I've no doubt 

It's a bit of a generalisation that all over 70s would be adversely affected by the virus. There are a great many under 70s that are more vulnerable than over 70s in otherwise good health and the decision to isolate or not should be taken on a case by case basis following individual medical advice. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The "information" is confusing.... and conflicting.

Events shut down for 21 days?...... incubation period up to 24 days?

Shutting down some but not all?..... keeping schools open?

Cancelling some flights to and from?..... but not all?

I think the self isolation is a little misleading...... self isolation isn't simply about staying at home.... it's more about staying at home alone, separated from other household members, which poses problems.

I think there will be a lot more shutdowns and for longer periods.... I think it will get a lot worse before it gets better.... and it makes me wonder what will change when it's over? What measures will be continued? Will shaking hands be  what people did in the olden days? Will public enquiries, court cases, parliament all be conducted by video link? Will accusation that someone has "A" virus become a hate incident.... or even a hate crime?

I would imagine anyone with an illness or treatment that affects the immune system will be at higher risk..... lupus?..... cancer?..... HIV ? and I assume many more. 

3 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

What is that supposed to mean?

I think the inference is that you should be deprived of oxygen, not just that of publicity. 

Not that I agree of course.