• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Coronavirus

robf

6 hours ago, Santa said:

The question is will we be any better off in 3 weeks time? Possibly only if you’ve had it and got better. 

China was about 10 weeks, so no almost certainly not.

Advert:

The Waterboy has been watching a few too many disaster movies. Things will be rough for a while no doubt, but Christ, it's highly unlikely to be Armageddon. And even if it is, Bruce is still very much alive so we'll be orate.

1 hour ago, The Waterboy said:

If you're worried about the income of football clubs just consider how the wider measures will impact the incomes of businesses across the globe. How many millions of people will die as a result of the inevitable global recession which will last anything up to a decade? Why are we as a global society destroying our future for a generation to prolong the lives of ancient humans (80 years plus) who are extremely close to death anyway?

This has to be satire, right? What about all the 18-40 year olds who are currently in Italian ICU that we are not been told about. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Waterboy said:

If you're worried about the income of football clubs just consider how the wider measures will impact the incomes of businesses across the globe. How many millions of people will die as a result of the inevitable global recession which will last anything up to a decade? Why are we as a global society destroying our future for a generation to prolong the lives of ancient humans (80 years plus) who are extremely close to death anyway?

It's a shame that the lessons learnt from the pandemic will come too late for those who will die as result of economic lockdown. Statistically those who have been saved from Coronavirus through these draconian measures will largely have died of something else by the time that we realize how daft those in charge have been.

Hang your head in shame for writing that post !

• Like 1

Advert:

20 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Apologies immediately for going off tack, but this subject I find quite fascinating,

Quite a number of years ago (about 15 ish), I watched a TV programme about an American gay guy who had dated several other gays who he later found out were all HIV+. 

He then thought that he should go and get tested for the virus himself because of the sheer number of times he had unprotected sex with these numerous HIV+ blokes.

To his amazement, he tested negative and because of this the scientists became aware of him. These scientists then took several samples of his blood and tried to infect it with HIV. All attempts failed. His blood was still negative.

So the boffins thought that they had stumbled, completely by accident, on the holy grail to finding a vaccine against HIV. All they had to do was to analyse these blood samples and find out how it destroyed the virus and “hey ho” they had a cure.

Wrong ! None of the greatest scientists in this complex field could figure out how this could have had happened ! 

I don’t know whether this helped towards today’s advancement in treatment for this terrible disease, but I find this story incredible !

Isn’t science fascinating !

RR, From what I can recall of HIV it is a difficult disease to catch, the virus wasn't very able at spreading from human to human,  it spread relatively rapidly by the sheer amount of rumpy pumpy going on in the bathhouses of San Francisco and other major cities around the world.

When HIV first came to the public's attention it was all doom and gloom about the future of the human race but it hasn't panned out like that because of the development of medicines to treat the virus from doing it's job and because time has shown it's not spread easily.

However the above doesn't explain why that guy didn't contract the virus especially  if he was very into that type of rumpy pumpy.

There is no current specific vaccine towards HIV but people infected with the virus can benefit from treatment with vaccines for other viruses eg hepatitis B and flu as well as others. There are also a myriad of drugs available to combat HIV infection these days.

On thing I don't understand about this coronavirus outbreak is that there are available drugs that prevent a virus doing it's job so why aren't these drugs being used to combat the spread/disease. The answer is probably these drugs are not specific to this particular virus although there are reports  drugs are being trialed with some showing promise. Perhaps it's a time and logistics issue.

• Thanks 1

China was about 10 weeks, so no almost certainly not.

Wuhan is still mostly in lockdown isn’t it? I very much doubt the situation in China has improved as much as they have us believe. If the UK is in turmoil in 3 months time when they expect the virus to peak, then this thing could quite easily affect the start of next season too.

2 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

If we aren't being told how do you know?

I have a friend who lives in Italy. It has been reported there by a Doctor based in Bergamo which is the epicenter of the outbreak. So we arent being told over here yet. 

Advert:

The elderly are much more at risk to death/serious illness from the coronavirus, the flu and illnesses in general because the older a person is the less efficient their immune system is. However,  that's not to say that all young people have a very efficient immune system or don't have serious underlying conditions.

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

The elderly are much more at risk to death/serious illness from the coronavirus, the flu and illnesses in general because the older a person is the less efficient their immune system is. However,  that's not to say that all young people have a very efficient immune system or don't have serious underlying conditions.

The account published earlier by the Italian doctor in Bergamo describes young patients having to be intubated and this is confirmed by other reports coming out that no respirators are available for people over the age of 80. In other words, they are letting them die to save younger, fitter patients who have a chance of survival. That’s probably why Italy’s fatality rate was the highest ever yesterday. How serious is that?

This is definitely a deadly disease. Colder weather to come next week I think but after that hopefully it will warm up and help to destroy the virus. Never have I wanted summer to come so quickly. 

Advert:

1 hour ago, CambridgeDon said:

The account published earlier by the Italian doctor in Bergamo describes young patients having to be intubated and this is confirmed by other reports coming out that no respirators are available for people over the age of 80. In other words, they are letting them die to save younger, fitter patients who have a chance of survival. That’s probably why Italy’s fatality rate was the highest ever yesterday. How serious is that?

This is definitely a deadly disease. Colder weather to come next week I think but after that hopefully it will warm up and help to destroy the virus. Never have I wanted summer to come so quickly. 

I wonder what the age cut off will be for respirators in the UK?

18 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

great im 70 thanks!