Coronavirus

robf

Advert:

6 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that, Phil.  The principle of vaccination was first demonstrated by Edward Jenner in the late 18th century when he innoculated people with cowpox to give immunity against smallpox.  The term vaccination is from a Latin word for cow (vacca).  I'm not aware this was anything to do with her immunity??

There are two ways to achieve herd immunity, one is by mass vaccination the other is to let a large number of people get infected, usually ca 70-80% of the population,  so they become immune.

For SARS-Cov-2 there is no vaccine so that route to herd immunity is not available.  The other way,  to let such a large number of people become infected was considered too risky because of the risk of serious illness overwhelming hospitals etc, hence the "way forward/treatment" was to curb the spread of the virus by social distancing. 

1 hour ago, WV said:

Didnt get too much from that. Im potentially back to work June 1st.  Construction workers can go and mix at work but cant see families or play golf with friends. 12 hours notice to go back to work for others but cant use public transport. Do you still get furlough if you should go to work but cant get there? 

How can other countries have a R number of eg. 0.85 and ours is somewhere between 0.5 and 0.9. Seems a bit ambiguous. 

Hopefully will have more answers by tomorrow evening. 

No change with construction workers as they could already work. There was no surprises with the speech. Hopefully golf courses will now open so I can have a game. 

The R number fluctuates all the time and certain areas can vary so guess the figure is a parameter that the whole country are currently in.

35 minutes ago, geosname said:

He says he’s serving notice that it will “soon be time” to impose quarantine on people coming into this country by air.

The PM adds that it's because the number of infection are now down "that this measure will now be effective".

Sorry but this is drivel of the highest order

Because the numbers are down we can take steps to bring the numbers down....... WHAT?

This should have been done weeks ago...... sorry Boris you are talking crap.

It would have been effective from day one..... 

It was either do it before any cases came in to the U.K. or after we reached the peak so because it wasn’t done in January now is the correct time to start doing it.

Advert:

50 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

What score out of 10 would you give him for that speech RB?

8 or 9. Informative, realistic, positive. Some points will need expanding which will hopefully come tomorrow after parliament and the q and a. That is natural though in unprecedented times.

I missed the first minute though so didn't hear the line about quarantining new arrivals...that is crap and the border issue is the single biggest <ovf censored> up of the Government corona policies in my opinion. 

19 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

It was either do it before any cases came in to the U.K. or after we reached the peak so because it wasn’t done in January now is the correct time to start doing it.

If he had done it sooner the peak would have been reached sooner.

2 minutes ago, geosname said:

No it wouldn’t. There was already loads of cases going round so bringing more in to the country wouldn’t make any difference. It’s science.  

1 hour ago, WV said:

Didnt get too much from that. Im potentially back to work June 1st.  Construction workers can go and mix at work but cant see families or play golf with friends. 12 hours notice to go back to work for others but cant use public transport. Do you still get furlough if you should go to work but cant get there? 

How can other countries have a R number of eg. 0.85 and ours is somewhere between 0.5 and 0.9. Seems a bit ambiguous. 

Hopefully will have more answers by tomorrow evening. 

He said you  can go back to work FROM tomorrow ,WV.I’d imagine some companies are ready to pick up straight away,some won’t be.Transport to and from work is,as always,down to the individual.Public transport can be used if you have  no alternative.Imagine what it was like years ago when hardly anyone had a car.Shanks Pony.😉

Edited by Howjy04

Advert:

6 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

8 or 9. Informative, realistic, positive. Some points will need expanding which will hopefully come tomorrow after parliament and the q and a. That is natural though in unprecedented times.

I missed the first minute though so didn't hear the line about quarantining new arrivals...that is crap and the border issue is the single biggest <ovf censored> up of the Government corona policies in my opinion. 

TBF that’s what I’ve been saying since the start but I was taking to a scientist today who said there was no point unless we could guarantee there was nobody already in the country infected and that it should be done well after the peak. 

I might not explain it so well but it made sense when it was explained to me!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, geosname said:

The quarantine only applies to those arriving by air, do we assume those arriving by boat or euro star are immune from carrying the virus?

11 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

As high as a 9.

You must have been quite impressed.

Advert:

12 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

TBF that’s what I’ve been saying since the start but I was taking to a scientist today who said there was no point unless we could guarantee there was nobody already in the country infected and that it should be done well after the peak. 

I might not explain it so well but it made sense when it was explained to me!

I think it had something to do with the virus incubation period aswell.5 days?

10 minutes ago, Conrad said:

The quarantine only applies to those arriving by air, do we assume those arriving by boat or euro star are immune from carrying the virus?

It should have been at every entry point from day 1.

In my opinion all travel in and out of the country should have been restricted, with exceptions, except for repatriation.

Heathrow alone has about 200,000 passengers through each day, about 100,000 arrivals..... that was reduced when other countries closed their airports to international and domestic passenger flights.

32 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

No it wouldn’t. There was already loads of cases going round so bringing more in to the country wouldn’t make any difference. It’s science.  

You seem to be suggesting it makes little difference to when the virus peaks if you have 50 transmitting the disease or 50,000.