Coronavirus

robf

1 hour ago, vale addict said:

I think Stockholm for example is expected to reach herd immunity by the end of this month.

To get to herd immunity you need about 60% of the population to have been infected.  The population of Stockholm is just shy of a million.  On the lastest figures 26,322 have tested positive for the virus in the whole of Sweden, not just Stockholm.  Multiply that by ten to take account of the asymptomatic and we get to about 25% of the population of Stockholm.  Doesn't seem to add up to herd immunity??

Advert:

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

I think a part of it is we are a more conservative society; not politically, but we respect the rule of law, the institutions, and, despite protestations, the current Government's laws. We have historically had a strong, central state and it permeates our identity today; we are fairly deferential to authority, not ones to kick up a fuss etc etc.

America is founded on an inherent dislike of central government, on rebellion, and on liberty above all else (including security), and its manifested itself in this situation; I think the issue for them is less to do with the virus, and more to do with not liking being told what to do by 'the Government'. Its more a (stupid) expression in personal liberty than any grand conspiracy about the virus in itself. There is nothing worse than telling an American what to do, clearly demonstrated in their unwilligness to give up their guns, despite the empirical evidence it leads to more violence in their nation. Liberty > Security.

Our lockdown, when belatedly enforced, was fairly sensible though. Just too late in doing it, and not compounded by test and trace.

Dunno, we invented the freedom that many people in the world enjoy today, including Americans. Everything relates back to when, as a country, we made the individual more powerful than the state.

Americans are crackers when it comes to defending their constitution, but then again that is the whole point of a constitution I suppose, especially when it's written down and even more so when it basically founds your country.

It's unreleted but a fascinating debate and one that never really got explored in any great technical detail when it was kicking off with Boris' prorogation, as to whether we should codify our consitution or not.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

How come you are saying in one post that we should not be using the predictions of modelling but in this one that we should be using the predictions of WHO with regard to a vaccine??

Because one is a computer simulation from the same people that have wildly over exaggerated previously. It has never been published properly or peer reviewed.

The other is based on real world evidence.

We have had viruses that have killed 32 million people and the entire worlds best brains have been working on for 40 years and we still have no Vaccine for. 

So don’t expect a Covid-19 Vaccine any time soon, if EVER! 

Edited by vale addict

42 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Doesn't seem to add up to herd immunity??

I’m just going off what i’ve read. It’s been in most of the papers recently...

🛑 Swedish Ambassador Says Stockholm Is Close to Reaching “Herd Immunity”

https://www.democracynow.org/2020/4/28/headlines/swedish_ambassador_says_stockholm_is_close_to_reaching_herd_immunity

Advert:

8 minutes ago, vale addict said:

I’m just going off what i’ve read. It’s been in most of the papers recently...

🛑 Swedish Ambassador Says Stockholm Is Close to Reaching “Herd Immunity”

https://www.democracynow.org/2020/4/28/headlines/swedish_ambassador_says_stockholm_is_close_to_reaching_herd_immunity

But the WHO disagrees in the same article.

China are not being transparent with the origins of the disease. Apparently the Viology lab in Wuhan was closed for a week in October,  you have to ask why? If they had a problem back in October then this has been an issue for a lot longer than originally thought and my guess would be there was a lot more dead from Covid before China announced their first case  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2020/05/01/wuhan-lab-as-coronavirus-source-gains-traction/#1754bb606743

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WV said:

I thought furlough was promised for a minimum of 3 months? 

It began in mid-March, then April, May, June. Will very likely be massively scaled back by July, maybe football clubs will still get away with furloughing by then, maybe with a lower percentage and/or upper limit.

Advert:

Didnt get too much from that. Im potentially back to work June 1st.  Construction workers can go and mix at work but cant see families or play golf with friends. 12 hours notice to go back to work for others but cant use public transport. Do you still get furlough if you should go to work but cant get there? 

How can other countries have a R number of eg. 0.85 and ours is somewhere between 0.5 and 0.9. Seems a bit ambiguous. 

Hopefully will have more answers by tomorrow evening. 

Re the R number I presume it varies on the area you live, hence other countries having areas locked down (Madrid and Barcalona is an example of cities where measures are stricter). So over the whole country you will get hotspots.

18 minutes ago, WV said:

Didnt get too much from that. Im potentially back to work June 1st.  Construction workers can go and mix at work but cant see families or play golf with friends. 12 hours notice to go back to work for others but cant use public transport. Do you still get furlough if you should go to work but cant get there? 

How can other countries have a R number of eg. 0.85 and ours is somewhere between 0.5 and 0.9. Seems a bit ambiguous. 

Hopefully will have more answers by tomorrow evening. 

I’m a construction worker but work at a hospital, part of the reason me being furloughed was because they stop allowing people onto the wards, so pointless being there.i am potentially off till the end of June, but only if they reopen the wards by then.

Advert:

He says he’s serving notice that it will “soon be time” to impose quarantine on people coming into this country by air.

The PM adds that it's because the number of infection are now down "that this measure will now be effective".

Sorry but this is drivel of the highest order

Because the numbers are down we can take steps to bring the numbers down....... WHAT?

This should have been done weeks ago...... sorry Boris you are talking crap.

It would have been effective from day one.....