onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Run In

MBE

This season has shown it isn't who we play but which Vale team turns up. We're playing well and have  a great chance of making the play-offs, 75pts will do it me thinks.

Interesting to consider Vale stated and finished the game yesterday with just two players and one player different respectively from the team that really struggled last season and we should have beaten a promotion chasing team.. Just a testimony to how well JA and DK have got this team set up, organized and motivated.

Advert

The season has shown us we will have no one to fear and I would fancy our chances if we make the play offs.

We need 6 wins with the remaining games and I think the next 3 games will define our season. Win back to back home games and win. at Oldham we should make the play-offs. 

I still think we will do it.

3 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

This season has shown it isn't who we play but which Vale team turns up. We're playing well and have  a great chance of making the play-offs, 75pts will do it me thinks.

Interesting to consider Vale stated and finished the game yesterday with just two players and one player different respectively from the team that really struggled last season and we should have beaten a promotion chasing team.. Just a testimony to how well JA and DK have got this team set up, organized and motivated.

We wont get 75 points don't score enough goals

11 minutes ago, DistantVale said:

We wont get 75 points don't score enough goals

Intriguingly, before yesterday's game, we were 7th highest scorers and in 7th place.

I was surprised, as, like you, I didn't consider us to score enough.

But then, in recent weeks, we have been both creating chances and scoring more goals.

35 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Intriguingly, before yesterday's game, we were 7th highest scorers and in 7th place.

I was surprised, as, like you, I didn't consider us to score enough.

But then, in recent weeks, we have been both creating chances and scoring more goals.

I think the feeling is that we should score more from the positions and chances we create.  We just lack a bit of quality in and around the box, we’re a bit wasteful at times.

I’d be more worried if we weren’t making chances to be honest.

There's been constant talk of how our big issue is that we don't score enough, however stats just don't lie & I've never agreed, it simply isn't true. We look (& are) miles better going forward than last season. I think by the start of last month we'd already scored more than last season's total.

We're top 4 in the league for games where both teams have scored, & our total shows we clearly can score, just can't outscore the opponent. This is not a purely offensive issue, it's defensive too.

We're very much draw merchants, joint highest in the league. Yes, a 20+ a season striker would put us higher up the table, but so would a better quality/more consistent defence. They're equally as important. If you look at goals conceded, last season it was 55. If you average our current figure out over the rest of the season, we're actually on target to get the exact same amount, therefore our defence hasn't improved whatsoever, but our offence definitely has (on target to score 62~, against last season's 39).

20 minutes ago, Tomo said:

There's been constant talk of how our big issue is that we don't score enough, however stats just don't lie & I've never agreed, it simply isn't true. We look (& are) miles better going forward than last season. I think by the start of last month we'd already scored more than last season's total.

We're top 4 in the league for games where both teams have scored, & our total shows we clearly can score, just can't outscore the opponent. This is not a purely offensive issue, it's defensive too.

We're very much draw merchants, joint highest in the league. Yes, a 20+ a season striker would put us higher up the table, but so would a better quality/more consistent defence. They're equally as important. If you look at goals conceded, last season it was 55. If you average our current figure out over the rest of the season, we're actually on target to get the exact same amount, therefore our defence hasn't improved whatsoever, but our offence definitely has (on target to score 62~, against last season's 39).

Agreed... Its a bit of a myth that we are a low scoring team. 

We are scoring about as many as you would expect for someone in our position in the league.

Obviously scoring more would improve our chances of scoring... but that's a bit of a captain obvious statement.

People seem to think we are under indexing in goals and are scraping into the playoffs by not conceding many... in reality we score in the vast vast majority in games and are sharing the goals around the team.

14 hours ago, vale victory said:

Have to agree with this I’m afraid
Next season it has to be addressed if we have ambitions to get promoted

I think it would be difficult for us to have 2 promotions in two seasons, a couple of years stabilising in league 1 first, then an assault on the championship. 🙂

23 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

I think it would be difficult for us to have 2 promotions in two seasons, a couple of years stabilising in league 1 first, then an assault on the championship. 🙂

Assuming we have the necessary resources.

There's something of a gap opening between L1 and Championship clubs - I think it's down to the generous parachute payments made to relegated Prem clubs. Even those that don't have them feel they have to push the boat out to compete; if they can't they end up like Bolton or Yeovil. 

you look at the results over the weekend 

Northampton 1 Mansfield 2

Swindon 0 forest green 2

there are going to be a lot of unexpected twists and turns a bit of luck will come into it which we didn't get on Saturday but to be 8 unbeaten coming into the business end of the season stands us in good stead with a near enough fully strength squad as well

56 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

Assuming we have the necessary resources.

There's something of a gap opening between L1 and Championship clubs - I think it's down to the generous parachute payments made to relegated Prem clubs. Even those that don't have them feel they have to push the boat out to compete; if they can't they end up like Bolton or Yeovil. 

the championship is slowly becoming the greedy league 2 which is what the greedy league wants there must be a dozen teams receiving parachute payments its getting harder to compete in the top 2 leagues 

Archived