onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

Fosse69

9 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:

Just a personal observation about the Sponsors' man of the match.   Seriously?  I assume they had a glass too many with their lunches. Smudger was head and shoulders all match above any other player. I realise this is down to personal views but come on, Joyce was caught out several times and frankly his turning circle is larger than Tom Popes! Time and again when the ball is lost in midfield Vale, and in particular Joyce, have not got the capacity of pace and we get ripped down the middle.

Smithy is developing into a fabulous defensive player, capable of much higher than with us at present. His distribution and ability now to actually take the ball out of defence and seek players up front is a joy to watch. I am not sure if he's getting coaching behind the scenes but his performances of late are outstanding.

I like Joyce in his holding position but cannot accept he was in good form yesterday. My opinion.

I gave Smudger the shout.Giving Wozza a run for his money as Player of the Season.Excellent defender,winger,midfielder and goalscorer.

Advert

43 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:

Just a personal observation about the Sponsors' man of the match.   Seriously?  I assume they had a glass too many with their lunches. Smudger was head and shoulders all match above any other player. I realise this is down to personal views but come on, Joyce was caught out several times and frankly his turning circle is larger than Tom Popes! Time and again when the ball is lost in midfield Vale, and in particular Joyce, have not got the capacity of pace and we get ripped down the middle.

Smithy is developing into a fabulous defensive player, capable of much higher than with us at present. His distribution and ability now to actually take the ball out of defence and seek players up front is a joy to watch. I am not sure if he's getting coaching behind the scenes but his performances of late are outstanding.

I like Joyce in his holding position but cannot accept he was in good form yesterday. My opinion.

Askey has made reference to improving Smith's distribution and general footballing skills. 

Also that he's a better player than he realises.

Finally, he's finally playing in a reasonably decent team, allowing for more expression.

I'm a great believer 99% of the time that the league table doesn't lie.

However when we have thrown games away I have read that Macc are not a poor side, Walsall are in a false position, Scunny have great players and also are in a false position. 

The reality is that they are where they are in the table for a reason. As a collective over the whole season they have been mediocre yet we have apologists saying ' oh well they have a big budget they are better than it appears ' .

They actually aren't . 

2 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I'm a great believer 99% of the time that the league table doesn't lie.

However when we have thrown games away I have read that Macc are not a poor side, Walsall are in a false position, Scunny have great players and also are in a false position. 

The reality is that they are where they are in the table for a reason. As a collective over the whole season they have been mediocre yet we have apologists saying ' oh well they have a big budget they are better than it appears ' .

They actually aren't . 

Being mid-table doesn't mean you're average every week.

It might mean you are very inconsistent; excellent one week, poor the next.

For example, reading Walsall fans' comments, I know they are plagued by inconsistency and thats why they're mid table; not because they're really average every week and therefore if you draw/lose you must too be really average. Last week was, and I quote, "the best 90 we've played all season".

Nonsensical argument.

14 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

If there’s one consistent frustration from some of our fan base it’s the “you’d have taken this at the start of the year / after the last three years” argument. It smacks of lack of ambition and it seriously does my head in!

I listened to Sproson shut down Blakeman on Radio Joke when he used the ‘you’d have taken this...’ line and I agree wholeheartedly with him. 

The Smurf years have gone, consigned to history. We are where we are, to coin a phrase, so live with the here and nows. We’ve been beating top teams home and away, so we should be expected to beat bottom half Scunny at home, and anything less than that will and should be met with disappointment in my opinion.

I agree and disagree.

The 'look where we've come from' argument can be overly-used to excuse bad things, but by the same token it is very true.

To achieve a turnaround in 12 months on the scale of what Askey has done is, in my view, outstanding. There are going to be flaws in a side that for 2 years was looking like non-league fodder. Its unrealistic to think he'd iron out every issue in 12 months, with a reduced budget, and a fairly turbulent first summer in the job.

Therefore, this side has flaws, leftovers from years of mismanagement; a tendency to concede late, an inability to finish teams off, a failure to put away sides that 'we should be beating'.

This is to be expected, in my view.

If we were 2-3 years into the rebuild, I'd say yes, its unacceptable that we're still suffering with the legacy of mismanagement.

I think, when you take into account the myriad positives Askey has brought to the club (to lengthy to bother listing), its simply bizarrre to forget what was going on 12 months ago, as the ramifications are STILL having an effect in the club.

Also, regarding Sproson; I seriously don't pay his opinions any credence anymore. Considering his obvious vested interest with the club I'm not entirely comfortable with him getting a platform to influence fans views, as he has now.

In my view he's used his gig on RS to push the players under his ownership, and criticise those providing competition for said players.

Taylor hasn't appeared despite being fit for weeks; Crooks has obviously not featured and probably won't bar injuries; Askey had Gabriel on trial and turned him down, and he went to Scunny (and was bad yesterday).

The bloke spent the first half of the season incessantly criticising Gibbons, despite him being one of our best players, which was convenient when we suddenly take a right-back on trial, from Forest, who is a client of Phil Sproson.

The view that 'you can't keep saying look where we've came from' within 10 MONTHS OF BEING COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY ANNIHILATED INTO OBLIVION AND NON-EXISTENCE  is either contrarianism for contranisms' sake, daft naivety as to the scale of the task regarding the arrest of this clubs' decline, or him being critical of a manager because he won't play his players.

15 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

If there’s one consistent frustration from some of our fan base it’s the “you’d have taken this at the start of the year / after the last three years” argument. It smacks of lack of ambition and it seriously does my head in!

I listened to Sproson shut down Blakeman on Radio Joke when he used the ‘you’d have taken this...’ line and I agree wholeheartedly with him. 

The Smurf years have gone, consigned to history. We are where we are, to coin a phrase, so live with the here and nows. We’ve been beating top teams home and away, so we should be expected to beat bottom half Scunny at home, and anything less than that will and should be met with disappointment in my opinion.

To call it a lack of ambition is seriously poor, mate, now I re-read your post.

Smurf years still have an impact on us. We're one year in. There are going to be flaws to this side which can't be rectified and omitted within 10 months.

Its not unambitious to be disappointed with the result, and the manner of it, but also to accept that to be 7th is beyond every fans' expectations, and considering the turmoil we were in, its fair to assume there are going to be drawbacks.

Next season expectations were different, but to label fans with a memory longer than the last 10 games 'unambitious' is not good.

1 hour ago, onestepatatime said:

That seems a bit harsh, Joyce was excellent first half. 

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Also, regarding Sproson; I seriously don't pay his opinions any credence anymore. Considering his obvious vested interest with the club I'm not entirely comfortable with him getting a platform to influence fans views, as he has now.

In my view he's used his gig on RS to push the players under his ownership, and criticise those providing competition for said players.

Taylor hasn't appeared despite being fit for weeks; Crooks has obviously not featured and probably won't bar injuries; Askey had Gabriel on trial and turned him down, and he went to Scunny (and was bad yesterday).

The bloke spent the first half of the season incessantly criticising Gibbons, despite him being one of our best players, which was convenient when we suddenly take a right-back on trial, from Forest, who is a client of Phil Sproson.

The view that 'you can't keep saying look where we've came from' within 10 MONTHS OF BEING COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY ANNIHILATED INTO OBLIVION AND NON-EXISTENCE  is either contrarianism for contranisms' sake, daft naivety as to the scale of the task regarding the arrest of this clubs' decline, or him being critical of a manager because he won't play his players.

I agree, cba with him. For a bloke who has a statue sharing his name outside the ground he seems a lot more bothered about his pocket than Vale when he's discussing the playing squad.

Bring back Cullerton.

2 points dropped - I said it against Walsall after the 1st 20 minutes the team looked leggy!

We win when we play pressing football for 75/80 mins, we don’t when we sit back and let them play. If Askey watch’s that game again, he’ll see it. Amoo needs a kick up that backside, such a lazy player.

I thought Joyce was excellent yesterday, he was deservedly motm for me.

Manny shouldn’t be anywhere near the team at present - he’s miles off the pace, we may as well play with 10 men, he’s barely been involved in the 2 cameo appearances. I agree with others on here, Jake T is a must before Manny surely!!!????

A play off place is in our hands!

14 hours ago, Heatwave said:

Did we score again? No. That's how good a job Walsall did on him. Same again today, although it can be said that Smudge scored because the Scunny defence were all watching Pope.

It isnt about just scoring though. It’s also about being to hold a ball up, being able to give the defenders something else to deal with, giving us more of a platform to build from and get more of a foothold in the game and if you think that the game last week didn’t turn in our favour when he came on then we must have been watching different games. 

So disappointed at the end of yesterdays game. Before they scored the first a few of we’re saying that Cullen was struggling to hold it up and more importantly we lost energy in midfield with  Conlon looking like he was struggling and Burgess not getting about as much. Sure enough their lad breaks from the right, across and through the entire midfield and has a free run on a back pedalling defence. I can’t help but think we should have changed something way before we did, was it 75 when we made the first change? It might have made a difference it might not but I think we hung on too long when we’d gone a bit stale in the midfield and up front.  

We should have seen it out though, the second goal is terrible from brown and/or Legge, but a hanging ball in the air that’s dropping in to the 6 yard box should IMO have seen either Legge taking charge and heading it or brown coming and punching it. Great keeper for us but I think his weak point is dealing with balls into the area and that second goal highlighted it for me. 

Cant fault the effort of some of the team. Amoo looked a threat when he’s got the confidence to go at the full back, Gibbo linked well with him and tried to play when he could, Smith slotted back in easily, Legge bar the end was solid, Monty was hit and miss as normal at full back and at times I thought was too far forward leaving us a too open on that side, Joyce kept it ticking over well, Conlon and Burgess had good first halves but I think faded early in the second, Worrall gave that young right back a lesson in what it’s like at this level against an experienced player, Cullen had a good first half and deserved the goal but second half really struggled to give us time to get up the pitch by holding it up for us. 

Next week I’d be tempted to play Pope from the off away from home against a cheltenham side who play 3 big centre halves and maybe feb our Clark in for Monty.... which will probably mean that the only change Askey will make is to swap Gibbo for Clark 🤣

It’ll be interesting to see how far off Taylor is. Is he fit enough to start? I was surprised yesterday that he didn’t come on late on for either Conlon or Burgess. 

I thought that we were the better team for 65 minutes. That said, our midfield looked very leggy. Whether that was the heavy pitch or tiredness I don't know, but they always seemed to have a man free in the middle, which hasn't been the case for most of the season.

Joyce was deserved motm. First half he was very influential.

Amoo looked excellent going forward in the first half, but was frustrating the hell out of me with his defensive efforts and not committing at all to balls that were there to be won.

Cullen led the line well again first half, and scored. Not much more you can ask of a striker.

All of the team were below par in the second half. I thought the intro of their number 29 made a big difference. He was pressing our back line constantly which we didn't like one bit.

I don't think pope would have come on had askey waited for the corner to be taken and we'd scored from it. He was clearly going for the win by going 2 up top. When we scored he almost immediately brought on another midfielder for Cullen.

Those who are trying to credit pope with an assist merely from his presence on the pitch need to have a word with yourselves! They did the same at Crewe. No wonder the guys got a God complex! He was poor after he came on, won nothing, and his only contributions were giving away a stupid foul and screaming vehemently our back line after we conceded.

Gibbons distribution was shocking today.

Poor second half from most.

With manny, agree that he's clearly unfit. Is it not an option to loan him to the division below for a month to get him games?

We're back in the playoffs and it's in our hands. Can we do it? Of course. Will we? Who knows? Whatever happens, I'm pleased as punch with our progress this season and, with sensible quality recruitment in the summer, have high hopes for next season.

UTV

It isnt about just scoring though. It’s also about being to hold a ball up, being able to give the defenders something else to deal with, giving us more of a platform to build from and get more of a foothold in the game and if you think that the game last week didn’t turn in our favour when he came on then we must have been watching different games. 

So disappointed at the end of yesterdays game. Before they scored the first a few of we’re saying that Cullen was struggling to hold it up and more importantly we lost energy in midfield with  Conlon looking like he was struggling and Burgess not getting about as much. Sure enough their lad breaks from the right, across and through the entire midfield and has a free run on a back pedalling defence. I can’t help but think we should have changed something way before we did, was it 75 when we made the first change? It might have made a difference it might not but I think we hung on too long when we’d gone a bit stale in the midfield and up front.  

We should have seen it out though, the second goal is terrible from brown and/or Legge, but a hanging ball in the air that’s dropping in to the 6 yard box should IMO have seen either Legge taking charge and heading it or brown coming and punching it. Great keeper for us but I think his weak point is dealing with balls into the area and that second goal highlighted it for me. 

Cant fault the effort of some of the team. Amoo looked a threat when he’s got the confidence to go at the full back, Gibbo linked well with him and tried to play when he could, Smith slotted back in easily, Legge bar the end was solid, Monty was hit and miss as normal at full back and at times I thought was too far forward leaving us a too open on that side, Joyce kept it ticking over well, Conlon and Burgess had good first halves but I think faded early in the second, Worrall gave that young right back a lesson in what it’s like at this level against an experienced player, Cullen had a good first half and deserved the goal but second half really struggled to give us time to get up the pitch by holding it up for us. 

Next week I’d be tempted to play Pope from the off away from home against a cheltenham side who play 3 big centre halves and maybe feb our Clark in for Monty.... which will probably mean that the only change Askey will make is to swap Gibbo for Clark 

It’ll be interesting to see how far off Taylor is. Is he fit enough to start? I was surprised yesterday that he didn’t come on late on for either Conlon or Burgess. 
Surely, if they play 3 big centre halves, the tactical nous would say not to put pope up against all 3 in a battle which he invariably lose, but to play the ball on the floor with a more mobile striker or strikers?

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Great post. Obviously I’m at the game so don’t hear what he says live, but more often than not I flick though some of the match on ifollow during the week. The blatant biased against Gibbons was plain to hear and radio stoke, the BBC, should not be allowing someone to air views that are seemingly promoting their own interests. I think it was the Mansfield game that really sealed it with his description of their late equaliser in that match and it was like he was commentating on something totally different and it really made me think that it was possibly personal? There is no denying Gibbo has been one of our more consistent players throughout the season and in recent weeks when Sproson has been on I’ve noticed a mellowing in the criticism of him, which made me wonder if someone had had a word maybe? Granted I’m not watching the full 90 back but it seems it from the times I’m skipping through the game again that he’s less critical of him. 

Also I think Crookes was a weak link when he was playing, we’ve clearly improved with Monty or Clark there, but the Sproson commentary when Crookes was playing was much more positive of Crookes performances, that IMO belied what was going on on the pitch and that’s a conflict of interest there when his own players that he represents are on the pitch. Fans who don’t go to games will form their opinions of players based on what the commentators are saying and I think in Sprosons case he was arguably purposely putting out negativity on certain players. 

That right back who we had on trial had a bad game yesterday for Scunthorpe, it was night and day between him and our right backs (Gibbo and Clark), you could tell the lad was inexperienced at this level. People get excited by young players coming from clubs at a higher level and sometimes automatically think they’re going to be better than our own players, only Clark and Taylor have been good enough that I can think of in recent years. Whilst of our homegrown batch only Gibbo and smith have made the grade, which just shows how good you have to be and how hard it is to make it as a young player at league 2 level. 

Archived