onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

Fosse69

9 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

The Smurf years have gone, consigned to history. We are where we are, to coin a phrase, so live with the here and nows. We’ve been beating top teams home and away, so we should be expected to beat bottom half Scunny at home, and anything less than that will and should be met with disappointment in my opinion.

Scunthorpe as a relegated team, could have some better players, so maybe a top half team really, but putting that to one side. Our first task is the playoffs with 10 games to go, within our grasp. We should not be overawed by any of our likely  opponents due to our results this season. Who do we need in the POs? Play the best available even though they may not be with us next season. How important will Oyeleke be to us in the POs, should we take risks to make sure he is fit enough or have we enough if he has not achieved match fitness by then?  Aspects of substitutions for Askey apart from the immediate game pressures.?

Advert

Scunny have one of the two highest budgets in our league but we clearly have better players because we were the better team. As a club we are performing extremely well. Could we be doing better?  Yes, you can always do better but I’m delighted with where we are at the moment and am continuing to look forward for a change. 

9 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Sometimes it's easy to say we need to make a change but it becomes alot more difficult when you have to actually do it.  Askey has had success by keeping things simple, that means his players, no matter how limited they may be, know exactly what they need to do and what is expected of them.  Given that, changing the system or formation is almost never going to happen for that reason.  So he is left looking at the bench for replacements who can do better than those already on the pitch.  As it gets later you are just sobbing legs but earlier you have got to be looking at somebody having a poor day.

People around me today  calling for Pope. He came on and SMITH  scored immediately. Popes lasting contribution was to commit a unnecessary foul which served to heap pressure on a panicky defence. Why?  I'd defend Askey every day of the week,  but Popes talismanic reputation is clouding game logic which too many people  default to , often at the expense a wiser game plan. 

Having said that, we were poor creatively  today  and would have preferred to see Taylor introduced instead of Manny. Still prefer to see Worrall play on the right and that could happen next week, with Clark back, allowing Monty to play on the left and Worrall on the right, in place of Mr Marmite Amoo. Hope Worrall buys some decent studs for Cheltenham. We could really do with stuffing them again so that even more fans can be totally dumbfounded by our unpredictability,  as we March, or crawl, to an unlikely crack at the play offs,  or even better. 

7 hours ago, PV1973 said:

The game changed in our favour with him up front I thought. 

Did we score again? No. That's how good a job Walsall did on him. Same again today, although it can be said that Smudge scored because the Scunny defence were all watching Pope.

It was a game somewhat spoiled by the swirling wind.  Despite this there was some ice football played by both sides in what was an entertaining encounter.  Scunthorpe aren't a bad side, they certainly look better than their league position, but after Eisa went off I thought we'd go on and win the game.  Fair play to them, they kept going and their subs had more of an impact than ours.  First half, and early second half, we were better than them and played some nice football, despite the conditions, but as the game wore on we went a bit flat.  Second half I felt numerous times we didn't get the run of the ball in their penalty area, so a little unlucky, although it's mistakes that've cost us.

I haven't read through this thread but one thing's for sure, Manny is miles off.  The problem is that he's so out of sorts he's not even getting a touch of the ball, so how we get him fully match fit is anyone's guess.  After he came on we were playing with ten men.  Is this the reason we drew, no, but it's bound to have a bearing on this, and future, games.  Maybe Taylor should be introduced from the bench next game.

We gained a point and moved back into the playoffs, which is great, and I think we'll yo-yo in and out of the last spot between now and the end of the season.

Agree with most of what’s been said good first half but poor second don’t like to criticise Askey but we needed to change things earlier in the second half as most fans could see it was only a matter of time before they would score  on another subject does anyone know why the the away fans were shoved in the far corner of the hamil end it does nothing for the atmosphere 

11 hours ago, Heatwave said:

Did we score again? No. That's how good a job Walsall did on him. Same again today, although it can be said that Smudge scored because the Scunny defence were all watching Pope.

That really is stretching it a bit Heatwave.Just the one player was taking care of Pope ,at the back post.Slightly better than the P and G caller who said we scored because Pope was standing behind Smith.Another lovely Spring morning again today.Can you let her know.Time 8.48 am.Cheers.

4 hours ago, Vale fan in Alsager said:

Last minute decided go the match .

First half loved it so much energy and excellence about the Vale with Amoo outstanding and Vale generally deserving of more than the one goal that got .

Fans behind them and looking like another three points with Legge dominant at the back .

Then the  second half where we ran out of energy (not surprising really )and the fans obviously were not reacting to the performance as we didn’t really flow at all and it caused a quiet uneasiness within the stadium .

The first equaliser if you look at it from there perspective was a excellent goal but from ours what were Legge and Gibbons doing and who in the midfield allowed the lad who's initial run on to our back four as it was downright poor .

Then we edged back in front with a deflected goal off Smith and your thinking come on now see the game out ,yes we haven’t flowed but a messy wins a win all the same .

Then disaster a nothing ball in Scott Brown is rooted to his line and Legge is beaten in the air for the first time in the game ,goal and a point it is .

So all in all a very disappointing second half showing again I felt we just didn’t pass it well enough Gibbons passing was shocking but he wasn’t the only one .

Amoo gets man of the match for me I do not think we have him a decent ball all second half but first half when we did he was excellent.

Joyce battled hard too so those two impressed me greatly .

Cullen was very good for about a hr but faded but once again the quality of ball forwards to him was not good enough .

The support need to up there ante ,second half going quiet didn’t help although our performance was no where near to the level of the first half .

Cullen was injured.

Very disappointed not to see that game out. Another 2 points thrown away. How many times does it need to happen before we learn from our mistakes. 

They where getting on top and we where clearing the ball long and Cullen had no chance against Butler in the air so it kept coming back. Our energy was draining in midfield and I think again we are too slow with the change. Pope should have been on for Cullen a lit earlier in my opinion.

Having said that I thought we didn't do enough in the 1st half to press home our advantage with the wind and a 1 goal lead was never going to be good enough in them sort of conditions. We are just not ruthless enough. It was similar to last week where we are not positive enough and go for the jugular when we have the advantage. We just seem content to take the lead. This attitude needs to change if we are too sustain our place in the play offs. 

I don't know why we have changed, maybe its because we are in the play offs now but I didn't see this mentality in wins against FGR and Colchester.

Having slept on it and let the usual anger subside at losing 2 valuable points as late as that again i felt we played alright in stages and so did they. They were certainly no mugs and has been pointed out before they have come down from a division above, spent a few bob and have some good players. an old Boss of mine once said...."There's no such thing as Nirvana so don't bother looking for it"......he was right and I think too many of us want that 100% perfection every game.....Colchester at home was close. I enjoy watching us play every week and that is the first time I can say that for a few seasons. We will be in the mix at the end of the season unless the wheels fall off altogether and we are just going to have ride these ups and downs.

As soon as that cross went in for their equaliser I thought..."Oh <ovf censored> that's dangerous" and when Browny made that split second, poor, decision to stay we were doomed. i would like to see him dominate his 6 yard box a bit more......anything coming into there should be his in some form, a catch, a punch but he must be coming and clearing everyone out of the way. I think he's a great keeper, especially at this level, but he made a mistake, end of.

The joys of being a Vale fan....especially an exiled one.

On the Vale.......

Just a personal observation about the Sponsors' man of the match.   Seriously?  I assume they had a glass too many with their lunches. Smudger was head and shoulders all match above any other player. I realise this is down to personal views but come on, Joyce was caught out several times and frankly his turning circle is larger than Tom Popes! Time and again when the ball is lost in midfield Vale, and in particular Joyce, have not got the capacity of pace and we get ripped down the middle.

Smithy is developing into a fabulous defensive player, capable of much higher than with us at present. His distribution and ability now to actually take the ball out of defence and seek players up front is a joy to watch. I am not sure if he's getting coaching behind the scenes but his performances of late are outstanding.

I like Joyce in his holding position but cannot accept he was in good form yesterday. My opinion.

Archived