onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

Fosse69

Just now, Biddulph_PV said:

Just like at every other club.

Is it really? I wouldn't know. Sometimes, like today, when things were flat second half, the players needed lifting, but it always feels like the fans feed of the player's performance, and not vice versa.

Maybe it is common. Would just be nice to not sit in silence when the Vale aren't dominating.

Advert

8 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Can I just add a negative against some of our fickle fan base 

In the 5 minutes after their first equaliser we got quite tetchy in the stands instead of an outpouring of support to get back at it 

Conlon over hit a ball out for a goal kick, howls of derision, Montano then inexplicably passed to the right wing instead of Worrall who was totally free . Few boos . And then the coup de grace a move between Amoo and Gibbons where Gibbons back heeled it straight to them was met with boos.

Unbelievable, fickle and embarrassing. Please someone say that they heard it too so that I know I'm not going mad 

It's easier to play in the stands than it is on the pitch, particularly in a swirling wind!!!!

This argument makes one massive assumption. That bringing on substitutes always works regardless of who they are or the situation. This is patently untrue.

Sometimes they work sometimes they don’t. Likewise not changing the team sometimes works and sometimes it doesn’t. 
It’s a gamble the manager takes and by definition you don’t always win when you gamble otherwise I wouldn’t have spent 40odd years going to work I’d be in the bookies and the Coates family would be skint.

I

12 minutes ago, Conrad said:

How would he get match fit if he doesn’t play any matches.

Reserve games? Behind closed doors games? How is 10 minutes here and there going to get him match fit? He's the kind of player that needs half an hour to start his engine. Complete waste of a sub at the moment.

Frustrating result in the end. I thought after the first 5 mins we played some really good stuff and deservedly took the lead and probably deserved a 2nd goal with Conlon spraying passes and Amoo + Worrall both having the beating of their respective full backs. After Cullen got injured it changed. Cullen stopped working so Conlon and Burgess were doing more and more of his work when pressing and as a result Scunthorpe got more and more space in midfield and it allowed them to get a foothold in the game. As a result they finished the half strongly and continued this into the second half.
I'm a big Askey fan and I really like Cullen but it was clear after his treatment in the first half that he was knackered and less sharp. It shouldnt take until after 75 mins to change him for an alternative.
Finally, Brown really should come and collect that cross for their 2nd goal. It was in the air for an age and should just be routine for a player of his experience and ability. This following a really poor error for Walsalls 1st last week means that, as harsh as it sounds, those errors for cost us 2 wins and an additional 4 points. He's been a fantastic keeper for us however it would be good to see a genuine competitor for his place next season as I believe that keeps everybody sharp and pushes everybody to be at there best.
As disappointing as it was to miss out on 3 points it keeps the unbeaten run going and we have moved back into the play-off spots. Keep the faith. UTV!

Why do people here think we have a God given right to beat teams? Yes, we were at home which is an advantage, and it's always disappointing to lose the lead not only once but twice. But they have a good side, on paper if nothing else, and are clearly much better than their league position suggests. We had an awful second half after playing well enough in the first but still got something from the game and one point more than a few of those around us. The conditions were appalling and no doubt played a significant part for both sides in each half today.

The constant late goals conceeded is a concern, but in comparison to what we've had to be concerned about over the last few years it's not something to completely lose our <ovf censored> about, and can certainly be improved.

11 minutes ago, JohnJames said:

This argument makes one massive assumption. That bringing on substitutes always works regardless of who they are or the situation. This is patently untrue.

Sometimes they work sometimes they don’t. Likewise not changing the team sometimes works and sometimes it doesn’t. 
It’s a gamble the manager takes and by definition you don’t always win when you gamble otherwise I wouldn’t have spent 40odd years going to work I’d be in the bookies and the Coates family would be skint.

I

That's the gamble I suppose. There are five possible outcomes:

1. Make substitutions and get a positive outcome.

2. Make substitutions and get a negative outcome.

3. Make substitutions to little effect either way.

4. Avoid substitutions and the players on the pitch improve/stay playing well.

5. Avoid substitutions and the players on the pitch tire and/or their performances falter.

It would be nice to think the manager has the confidence to believe that he can have a positive impact on the game.

I am not saying that he didn't make changes, I am saying that the changes that were made today were made too late  and I feel this has happened in other games during the season as well in my opinion.

Before they equalised at 1-1 most of our midfield looked spent. Not surprising due to the amount of games some of them have played and due to the condition of the pitch, weather conditions etc.

Askey is doing a great job, I just think he could make his subs sooner thats all which may help both himself and the team in the long term.

UTV

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

This is the correct take.

You can't ignore Askey getting us to the playoffs, and then blame him for missing out, like he was gifted a top 7 finish and contrives to throw it away.

He brought on Pope and Oyeleke, two good League 2 players. Legge's inability to track his man has no correlation with Rhys Browne/Jake Taylor not entering the field of play.

I don’t necessarily disagree with Askey’s subs, but I think Taylor sitting on the bench when we’re trying to get in the playoffs is mad. At the very least he should be coming in instead of Oyeleke. Keep him for the odd 10 mins here and there, protect him and build him up during a full pre-season. This season we need Taylor to be putting in the performances that contributed to us getting into this position! Clark to start next week for me, but don’t hesitate to bring Taylor on sooner rather than later. 

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

He made 2 changes and we didnt close out.

To basically say it will be his fault if we dont make the playoffs due to his lack of subs is so far from the mark of reality it beggars belief.  Its John Askeys fault we are sitting in a play off spot at all.

That’s a straw man argument and you’re putting words into people’s mouths.

29 minutes ago, TreacleValiant said:

I am not saying that he didn't make changes, I am saying that the changes that were made today were made too late  and I feel this has happened in other games during the season as well in my opinion.

Before they equalised at 1-1 most of our midfield looked spent. Not surprising due to the amount of games some of them have played and due to the condition of the pitch, weather conditions etc.

Askey is doing a great job, I just think he could make his subs sooner thats all which may help both himself and the team in the long term.

UTV

Agreed. Scunthorpe weren't exactly dominating before they equalised but they'd definitely inched their way back into the game because they'd made changes and we'd failed to react to them. Askey has made effective changes in recent games a la Pope's introduction at Northampton but today his lack of them was a mistake. It happens. 

For me, Pope and Manny didn’t do enough when they came on to get us on the front foot which begs the question whether even when tired Conlon in particular might have been a better option. I can’t say I was clamouring for change because I felt we were doing fine. Two poor goals didn’t seem to me to be a result of endless pressure and certainly the second one was a very rare mistake from Brown - difficult to legislate for. 
it’s all ifs buts and maybes but Manny always takes 3 or 4 full games to get up to speed after a lay off. Maybe if a change had to be made Taylor would gave been the better option. Anyway, fans generally always want changes earlier than most good managers. I tend to trust Askey’s judgement and the outcome is never guaranteed.

Looking at the games we've drawn this season, there have been eight (I think) where we have conceded the lead. That's 16 points dropped and half of those would have put us in the automatic places. We've also drawn 14 games, bettered only by Macclesfield and Crawley, when the average for the top seven is just over 9. So again, those missed points would have put us in the top three.  

If we're honest, these are signs that we are a work in progress and not yet quite there. Yes, we could still make the play-offs but our constant tendency to surrender the lead, sometimes, gallingly, in the last few minutes, is not a good habit to have cultivated for an end of season competition. The truth is we're probably playing above our abilities, which is a good thing, but if we don't make the playoffs we will know why.

Altogether we're in a far better place than we could have hoped for and our expectations are a measure of our progress. It shows that we are in good hands and hopefully we can recruit some better players, particularly in midfield, where games are won and lost. Disappointing today but the long term looks more hopeful than we could ever have imagined. 

If there’s one consistent frustration from some of our fan base it’s the “you’d have taken this at the start of the year / after the last three years” argument. It smacks of lack of ambition and it seriously does my head in!

I listened to Sproson shut down Blakeman on Radio Joke when he used the ‘you’d have taken this...’ line and I agree wholeheartedly with him. 

The Smurf years have gone, consigned to history. We are where we are, to coin a phrase, so live with the here and nows. We’ve been beating top teams home and away, so we should be expected to beat bottom half Scunny at home, and anything less than that will and should be met with disappointment in my opinion.

We were the better team but lost concentration at two vital times. Gibbo I think was to blame for the first goal and Legge for the second. Askey should have put Taylor on before Oyeleke.  Manny, not surprisingly is off the pace. Isn’t it great to be disappointed over climbing into a playoff position as opposed to the drivel and acrimony of the past few years. UTV

Archived