onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Music Port Vale have run out to

Joeheadland

Hello everyone,

I hope this is okay to post here – if not, moderators please move or delete as appropriate.

I’m part of a team at the University of Sheffield, led by Dr Chris
Stride. We've published a number of academic papers and magazine
articles relating to football history, on subjects such as statues and
replica shirts (see, for example
sportingstatues.com, and
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17460263.2019.1578255).

Our current project is investigating the music that football teams have
run or walked out of the tunnel to over the years.

We are looking for the music that Port Vale have run out to for as
many seasons in the past as you can recall. We are simply interested in
the title of the song, the artist who recorded it, and for which seasons
Port Vale ran out to this. Any help you can give us to
piece together the different songs that your club has run out to would
be hugely appreciated.

If you have any personal anecdotes around the reasons for the songs
being used, or the changes between them, that would also be fantastic.

I should also add that we are not interested in goal music, or a song
that is played at the final whistle, but just the song that is on the
tannoy system as the players enter the field.

If you think someone else may be able to help, or you have any
questions, please let us know!  We would be very happy to discuss the
project.

Thanks for your time,

Joe Headland

Advert

We started using 'Falling in Love with You' in the early 80s. This was because some of those cheeky chaps from the Bycars replaced the words 'rush in' with 'go (to) Stoke', but I think that was lost on the hierarchy.

Then it was 'The Wonder of You' for many years, I think starting in the early 90s. It's still played before games but not as the walk on music.

From about 2013 until last year 'he who shall remain nameless' replaced everything with some theme which resembled the classical piece that accompanied the Old Spice and Carling Black Label ads. I've no idea what said piece was called but it was first introduced (I think) for the Burton home game, the one we won 7-1. It was ditched I think when Carol and Kevin took over.

6 hours ago, Conrad said:

Port vale run out to Motörhead, ace of spades.

this is because Lemmy is from Burslem which is where our ground is situated.cant remember exactly when we started using this song but it’s about 5 or 6 years.

Wasn't it when he passed away (2015)? Originally it was a one-one tribute but it seemed to fit and used from that point.

1 hour ago, Heatwave said:

We started using 'Falling in Love with You' in the early 80s. This was because some of those cheeky chaps from the Bycars replaced the words 'rush in' with 'go (to) Stoke', but I think that was lost on the hierarchy.

Then it was 'The Wonder of You' for many years, I think starting in the early 90s. It's still played before games but not as the walk on music.

From about 2013 until last year 'he who shall remain nameless' replaced everything with some theme which resembled the classical piece that accompanied the Old Spice and Carling Black Label ads. I've no idea what said piece was called but it was first introduced (I think) for the Burton home game, the one we won 7-1. It was ditched I think when Carol and Kevin took over.

That classical music you refer to is the carmina burrana.

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

That classical music you refer to is the carmina burrana.

This was constantly played as well when Scumthwaite came in, timed to end as the players walked out. 

I’m sure we’ve walked on to ‘let me entertain you’ at some point in the last 15 years. 

We currently walk out to 'Let Me Entertain You' - which seems to have been used since Robbie Williams came back onto the scene with his upcoming charity concert. This has been in place for a few weeks/months now.

Prior to this, it was Motorheads' 'Ace of Spades', which as another poster has said, was used as a result of Lemmy (Burslem-born) passing away, and it stuck for a season or two.

The classical piece referred to was 'Two Steps From Hell - Heart of Courage' - used for a massive promotion game and it stuck

We, in the past, have used Carmina Burrana too.

Long story short; we don't have an identifiable song, changing every few seasons. Two Steps From Hell is by far my favourite, with Ace of Spades being my least favourite. I don't like the lack of consistency and would prefer a song like 'The Wonder of You' or Can't Help Falling in Love with You' to be used, due to their connection with the fanbase.

The Wonder of You is always played one or two songs before the players walk out - the rest of the pre-match music is a horrendous mix of current pop songs and archaic 'football' songs like 'The Boys are Back in Town'. Its nauseating, and the soundtrack to many a disappointing, cold evening.

Wasn’t there a story about fancy dress at ?? Brighton away and some geezer turning up as Elvis provoking the first “Wonder of you”?
Nowadays, I think the running out music is an awful hotchpotch that gets on my nerves and we need a break from WOY as well. I actually quite liked to introduction of Ace of Spades even though it isn’t really my genre but mixed in with Let me Entertain you and the like just doesn’t work.

Thank you to everyone for your contributions, it's invaluable to the project and much appreciated.

We're trying to build a mini timeline almost for the tracks that have been played - does anyone have any memories of the first time you can remember 'Can't Help Falling...' being played? Even rough seasons are a real help!

Cheers

On 24/02/2020 at 11:53, Joeheadland said:

Thank you to everyone for your contributions, it's invaluable to the project and much appreciated.

We're trying to build a mini timeline almost for the tracks that have been played - does anyone have any memories of the first time you can remember 'Can't Help Falling...' being played? Even rough seasons are a real help!

Cheers

I think 'Falling in Love With You' dated from the John McGrath promotion season, 1982/3.

On 21/02/2020 at 23:52, Valiant62 said:

I actually quite liked to introduction of Ace of Spades even though it isn’t really my genre but mixed in with Let me Entertain you and the like just doesn’t work.

I would love to see the return of Ace of Spades.

It's not an identikit walk-out theme (which Let me entertain me is) has a local connection, isn't used by anyone else and when all else is said and done is a cracking run-out tune. 

Archived