onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Walsall v Port Vale

Fosse69

We are on our way up, but no easing up, keep the winning run going at the Saddlers, who are not to be taken lightly after they came back to win from 2-0 down against the Cobblers, whilst we were majestically  sweeping Colchester aside. Selection decisions for Askey, keep the shirt after a rousing victory, or rotate a little. Gibbons in contention for his attacking skills? Another 3 goals please for SVA`s mighty presence.

Advert

2 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Why not, they have only played together once, for our biggest win. Vary harsh to change unless we have an injury.

That’s why I don’t think he’ll change it.

But those that came in have to prove that it wasn’t a one off.

2 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

We are on our way up, but no easing up, keep the winning run going at the Saddlers, who are not to be taken lightly after they came back to win from 2-0 down against the Cobblers, whilst we were majestically  sweeping Colchester aside. Selection decisions for Askey, keep the shirt after a rousing victory, or rotate a little. Gibbons in contention for his attacking skills? Another 3 goals please for SVA`s mighty presence.

Smudgers display yesterday  also included his  attacking skills. Keep same team.

Same team for me. This will be a very tough game, but our recent run shows we can beat absolutely anyone. I’m confident and will go for a 2-1 Vale win, with Cullen and Legge getting a goal each. I’m expecting 1500+ travelling Valiants, so be loud and be proud. Can’t wait! 

Bit of a conundrum really. Realistically smith isn’t the long term answer at right back, but he played so well yesterday that you could say he should keep his place. Or on the other hand does the manager think that he got away with the reshuffle yesterday and should go back to what has been steady all season and that’s with a proper full back there? Up front as well Cullen deserves to keep his place, but if he performs like he did at Swindon then he’ll probably find himself out of the side after the Walsall game. If Amoo Is back fit should he go straight in in place of Browne? I’d say Browne is in the same boat as Cullen, if he keeps the same team at Walsall which I think he probably will then Browne needs to put in a performance to follow up yesterday’s too otherwise he’ll be out as well. 

Been a while since we’ve had decisions to make like this and competition for places as well. 

I suspect Smithy was brought in at RB specifically to combat Nouble, who caused us all sorts of problems at their place. And to give us a bit more height defending set pieces. I don't think anyone was expecting to see him overlapping and giving a master class in holding the ball in the corner. So Arthur has a real headache because for sure that is not his natural position.

But another string to Smithy's bow that he can fill in there. 

Honestly don't know what I would do, hard to drop anyone after that performance. But I'd definitely keep Cullen who has had a stop start season for one reason or another, but was really good yesterday. Not just the goals, but the ball stuck up front better.

Answers on a postcard to Mr Askey I guess. But good problems to have, so long as we can keep everyone happy.

19 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Bit of a conundrum really. Realistically smith isn’t the long term answer at right back, but he played so well yesterday that you could say he should keep his place. Or on the other hand does the manager think that he got away with the reshuffle yesterday and should go back to what has been steady all season and that’s with a proper full back there? Up front as well Cullen deserves to keep his place, but if he performs like he did at Swindon then he’ll probably find himself out of the side after the Walsall game. If Amoo Is back fit should he go straight in in place of Browne? I’d say Browne is in the same boat as Cullen, if he keeps the same team at Walsall which I think he probably will then Browne needs to put in a performance to follow up yesterday’s too otherwise he’ll be out as well. 

Been a while since we’ve had decisions to make like this and competition for places as well. 

Reality is he has to stick with the team that did well against Colchester because what keeps players training hard is the belief that if they do well they start the next game. This team works because the team spirit is good and players believe they are treated fairly. I can think of two teams that dropped out of the league recently (County and Chesterfield) who were as strong on paper as our current squad. Due to constant managerial changes and over recruitment of players both ended up with disinterested and under performing teams. Mansfield are in a similar, if less extreme position, this season.

1 hour ago, JRC said:

Reality is he has to stick with the team that did well against Colchester because what keeps players training hard is the belief that if they do well they start the next game. This team works because the team spirit is good and players believe they are treated fairly. I can think of two teams that dropped out of the league recently (County and Chesterfield) who were as strong on paper as our current squad. Due to constant managerial changes and over recruitment of players both ended up with disinterested and under performing teams. Mansfield are in a similar, if less extreme position, this season.

I think that given the team spirit is so good, Smudge will understand that Gibbo is a natural right back and better suited to playing there.

As an aside... As a club we also need to get ready for the possibility that Smith may leave given he is out of contract. On current showing signing Brisley up would go a long way to softening that blow.

I think Gibbons should be brought back in, as well as Smith did Saturday its not his natural position. Its a shame for Smith, really hope we get him signed up. Legge isn't getting any younger and Smith with Brisley as the heir apparent to the older CB role, we would look pretty strong in that position going forward.

I'm not one for keeping the exact same 11 just because they won and did so well in the previous game. Horses for courses. That's not to say I would make a lot of changes, that would be silly. But I'd bring back Gibbons for Smith, despite the latter doing so well all things considered against Colchester. With Clark, Taylor, Amoo and Pope back soon our bench could soon read Maddison, Smith, Montano, Oyeleke, Taylor, Amoo and Pope should the likes of Conlon, Browne and Cullen keep their place. That's the strongest bench we've had for God knows how many years by a distance!

Archived