Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Walsall v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

On 20/02/2020 at 18:02, Fosse69 said:

Keep it quiet, everybody will use it.

And they did.

A draw was a fair result I think. We've played far worse sides than Walsall this season and they fully deserved their point.

I'm sure we'll be back to winning ways against Scunny.

Thought we were very lucky to get a point as we were very poor second half. Didn’t think we were that good first half, either. 

Special mention to yet another referee that seems to think he is the main attraction. Gave one of the most bizarre decisions I have ever seen and one which I’m very unsure is even something they can do; he penalised a player for taking too long to take a throw by giving the throw to the opposing team rather than booking the player. Is that a rule? Can refs do that? Thought we should have had a penalty when Pope was bundled to the ground yet the ref has given Walsall a free kick, and their keeper was lucky not to be penalised for handling a good yard outside the area.

Overall we’ve got to be to happy to take a point as we never looked like winning the game, even though we went ahead twice. We got absolutely battered for about half an hour of that second half and we rode our luck to still be in the game. As Askey said in his interview if we kept it at 1-0 for  period of time I think we would have gone on to win the game. 

Fair play to Walsall, they gave us a a great game and it was enjoyable game to watch. 

48 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Got back home just as Artell came on, must go Walsall more often!!!

Basically a game determined by the wind. We played very well for all bar 10 mins 1st half, then rubbish for all bar (the last) 10 mins 2nd half. 

I thought Brisley, Legge, Worrall and Conlon (who I was very surprised to see taken off) were the standouts. Monty and Browne were quiet.

Smith played well but was targeted 2nd half when everything came down that side.

I accept their 1st goal as a goalie error, but their 2nd was very poor as we got pulled out of position all over the pitch leaving their guy basically on his own to knock it in. 

Then we were at 6’s and 7’s for a spell and Brown’s save to keep it at 2-2 really has to be seen to be believed, absolutely incredible.

We huffed and puffed late on, and that foul AGAINST Pope when he was pulled down in the box was the daftest piece of officiating I think I’ve seen, from a referee who started well but really seemed to lose the plot in the last quarter.

All in all, mixed feelings given we were ahead twice but the upshot is an away point is a good point.

I think we are just a decent striker away from being promotion challengers next year IF we keep this squad together, so reasons to be optimistic. 

Exactly. Cullen is useful but I think he'll be one of them that does well at home but not enough in away games generally. I'd love to have their big lad up top today, Adebayo. Big, strong and mobile. To look at him you would think Bennett could be that sort of player for us, but he's simply not good enough to warrant a place in any side chasing promotion.

Saw it pretty much same as buddulph pv.

I thought first half they looked very mediocre and it was ours to lose really.  Second half they cottoned on to some of our poor defending and that gave them unnecessary impetuous.

Browns save was absolutely top draw but came after some comical defending

Could have nicked it, could've lost it by the end.

An away point that could prove to serve us well in the coming weeks.

Good point on the day although its a bit disappointing we couldn't keep hold of a lead away from home...again.

I thought the players body language at the end was very telling in the fact they looked really gutted to have only drawn. Monty even looked like he was apologising to the fans at the end. Goes to show how far this team has come. 

Keeps the show on the road IF we can follow it up with another victory at home.

When you have an off day the better sides still get something from the game. That's exactly what we did, against a good side on their day. I know a few of their fans are saying it was the best they have performed all season, at least in the 2nd half. We stay unbeaten in 7 and I'm sure some of the players who didn't perform how they and we know they can today will be chomping at the bit and be bang at it next Saturday.

Archived