onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Walsall v Port Vale

Fosse69

I thought we were poor for a period in the second half and both goals were very very poor to concede, we kept giving it away in dangerous areas and were all over the place at times but we fought hard and ground it out, we’d have usually lost that early in the season and a shame Wozza couldn’t Nick it at the end.

Big game Saturday now, beat Scunthorpe and we will probably be back in there, those 3 home games in the next 4 are going to be huge.

Advert

7 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

A tale of 2 halves! Not the same team in second half! Also, other results changed to work against us in the second half.  Oh well, I suspect I, like a lot of others would have taken an away point if offered pre-match!

You could also say that they weren't the same team in the 2nd half. If the truth is somewhere in the middle then although we could have played better today, which is obvious, we also have to respect that we were playing a team with enough quality to be in the top 10 comfortably. If we're a little gutted that we didn't win against a decent side away from home then I think that only shows we're going in the right direction...

Walsall have some very good players that could easily play in higher leagues and they have put a good run together over the past couple of weeks, so it was always going to be a tight game.

Glad we got a point from this hard fought match which could have gone either way.

Well done Vale for fighting throughout the match and not giving up.

Also a big shout to the fans.  Have a safe journey home and well done.

As good as our players have done generally, I think Askey should start naming what he believes is the strongest 11 available from here on in. I really like Conlon and he's done great for us, but Taylor is possibly only with us for the remainder of this season and as he was such a big player for us previously we should use him while we can just as long as he's match fit. Browne has done fine generally and is a decent squad player without any doubt, but Amoo has to come back in for him against Scunthorpe next weekend.

3 minutes ago, osprey said:

Artell on P&G now - time to switch off 

Shame they won really.  Wanted Macc to win.  Arse would still say they were the better team and deserved to win if they had lost and would not give the winning team any credit.  I just switch off when he comes on as its always the same drivel from him.  We were the best thing since sliced bread etc.

1 minute ago, philmpv said:

Askey didn't sound happy at all so I expect a few changes next week

Can see JA and Co making a few changes as he sounded angry with a couple of players performances. 

Glad he did not name names and keeps it in house, that is one of his good points - just gets on with things quietly.

Rock on the next game and hopefully the players respond - which I am sure they will do.  Walsall were a good side and have been on a good run recently, so it was never going to be a easy game.  But some silly mistakes crept in and cost us by some players.  Walsall have players which could easily walk in to a team in a higher league after seeing them play today.

Got back home just as Artell came on, must go Walsall more often!!!

Basically a game determined by the wind. We played very well for all bar 10 mins 1st half, then rubbish for all bar (the last) 10 mins 2nd half. 

I thought Brisley, Legge, Worrall and Conlon (who I was very surprised to see taken off) were the standouts. Monty and Browne were quiet.

Smith played well but was targeted 2nd half when everything came down that side.

I accept their 1st goal as a goalie error, but their 2nd was very poor as we got pulled out of position all over the pitch leaving their guy basically on his own to knock it in. 

Then we were at 6’s and 7’s for a spell and Brown’s save to keep it at 2-2 really has to be seen to be believed, absolutely incredible.

We huffed and puffed late on, and that foul AGAINST Pope when he was pulled down in the box was the daftest piece of officiating I think I’ve seen, from a referee who started well but really seemed to lose the plot in the last quarter.

All in all, mixed feelings given we were ahead twice but the upshot is an away point is a good point.

I think we are just a decent striker away from being promotion challengers next year IF we keep this squad together, so reasons to be optimistic. 

13 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

Can see JA and Co making a few changes as he sounded angry with a couple of players performances. 

Glad he did not name names and keeps it in house, that is one of his good points - just gets on with things quietly.

Rock on the next game and hopefully the players respond - which I am sure they will do.  Walsall were a good side and have been on a good run recently, so it was never going to be a easy game.  But some silly mistakes crept in and cost us by some players.  Walsall have players which could easily walk in to a team in a higher league after seeing them play today.

A review  of where we are, part of building a successful squad,  at least we have more players to pick from to make changes,  so fewer  players are fixtures, or rotation becomes more common?

On 20/02/2020 at 16:44, Jacko51 said:

Never!!  Just trying to be helpful - if you turn left out of the ground, left along Bescot Crescent/Lord Street then bear right into Alexandra Road (Lord St is a dead end).  Turn left at the end and you are on the main road having missed the long queue from the stadium. 

Fantastic advice! Nice one!

28 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

Shame they won really.  Wanted Macc to win.  Arse would still say they were the better team and deserved to win if they had lost and would not give the winning team any credit.  I just switch off when he comes on as its always the same drivel from him.  We were the best thing since sliced bread etc.

are they going to stop winning any time soon? I'm not sure I could take them going up and us not even making playoffs

Archived