5. Montano
  6. Joyce
  7. Conlon
  8. Burgess
  9. Browne
  10. Worrall
  11. Cullen

Subs: Maddison, Smith, Atkinson, Oyeleke, Taylor, Amoo, Pope

Tough game against a decent side but generally we've played some of our best football this season against the better teams on paper. Win this and I'll really start to believe! With a bench like the one above I would snap your hand off for 0-0 with 15 minutes to go! We'll only get even stronger too with Clark and Crookes soon back. 

Sold out Macc, Crewe, Salford, Man City, and now probably Walsall, taking in excess of 1200 on each occassion.

Yes, they're not far away, but most clubs at this level struggle to shift 500 for local derbies.

Potential of us is massive. I'm usually not about the 'big club' narrative but we need out of this tinpot affair. Can't be bothered with Stevenage and Forest Green bringing 20 whilst we're turning away fixtures into home games on a regular basis.

50 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Sold out Macc, Crewe, Salford, Man City, and now probably Walsall, taking in excess of 1200 on each occassion.

Yes, they're not far away, but most clubs at this level struggle to shift 500 for local derbies.

Potential of us is massive. I'm usually not about the 'big club' narrative but we need out of this tinpot affair. Can't be bothered with Stevenage and Forest Green bringing 20 whilst we're turning away fixtures into home games on a regular basis.

We take a disproportionate number of fans away but its home gates which matter for the finances.

I’m a firm believer in the psychological phenomenon of a winning mentality. As applicable in football as it is in anything else. 

Tom Pope, 2012-2013, 33 goals. Bang. League player of the year. Vale player of the season. Records set. Opposition managers like Evans seething. Some of those were outrageous. Pressing the backline for his 3rd or 4th against Evans, predator on the hunt unsettling the defenders...Hunt, terrified, then predictably turned the ball over under pressure. Wimbledon away. Two fcüking cartwheels to propel himself forward a few yards over the keeper and then slotted home from an obscenely tight angle. How did he do that? The right mix of confidence and strikers arrogance born out of an elite mentality. He’s somewhat of a confidence player. I say somewhat as even when he’s down or we’re losing heavily you still see him with his head up grafting to turn it around, he doesn’t shy away and hide. The confidence bit is how he makes chances out of nothing he ordinarily might not when on his A game when on a bit of a roll. The likes of Amoo and Monty are definitely confidence players and I suspect Bennett is that way inclined too. I posted on here a while ago about paying to get the likes of Amoo in with a sports psych from the FA down the road at St Georges Park because when the lads head is right he is scary for an opposition full back, they can’t live with him when he feels confident enough to show up and let loose. Would Pope have scored that Wimbledon goal in an alternative universe where we were mid table and he’d scored about 10 so far that season? Very possibly not, it was the mental drive and the “I’m going to fcüking batter Mat Mitchell-King and net here” mentality that started on day one with a smart finish in 3-0 win against Barnet on the opening day. We were in admin and had our backs to the wall and Micky infamously set his “us vs the world” mentality in the squad. Fčuk everyone else. Pope KNOWING he was going to bang one in every game, Vincent and JMW KNOWING they were going to embarrass their fullback and deliver quality balls into the box several times a game. Elite mentality making chances from nothing out of sheer drive.

Askey is quite a different fella to Adams. Quieter, more reserved, he plods along in the background quietly building us from the bottom up. After years of stand off football I love our high press. Used to hate us standing off and letting the opposition run forward 40 yards and find a diagonal ball, constantly getting ourselves into trouble. Browne won the ball for our first against Colchester but the move started from Conlon breaking the sound barrier chasing down the centre half putting him under pressure. L2 hoofers can’t cope with it. Worrall steaming 40 yards down the pitch in injury time. The way he runs is exactly like a player on Fifa 20 being edited to have 99 pace and stamina! It's like he's cheating, it's unbelievable how he does it week in week out. Where does he find the energy reserves? Mentally. From what I’ve heard and in my own gut feeling from his demeanour I reckon Askey is pretty steely really and behind the scenes in our tight, close knit squad, he’s quietly set about an elite, winning mentality and all the players are right behind him and Kevan. It took time, and we still have the infrequent, occasional howler (Morecambe away most recently) but this is L2 where despite best intentions on the day players can be inconsistent. 6th minute goal was a sucker punch and before we could recover mentally the second in the 12th minute wobbled us. Poor do that day, but we’ve kicked on since and got our heads right again.

We all know what the Vale of old are like in front of an expectant decent crowd when doing well, after the Lord Mayors show et al. It’s so important the winning mentality and belief in the squad extends to the fans and if somehow the Smallsall inbreeds take the lead, don’t drop heads. No barracking of Amoo, Bennett or Monty within earshot if they’re having an unsettled 5 minutes and turn the ball over once or twice. No constantly screeching "Askey you <ovf censored>" as one clown did near me at FGR away. Need the 2500 travelling fans to keep roaring them on and share in the confidence and belief, it makes such a huge difference to those sorts of players. Oyeleke has such a confident gait as he half jogs, half swaggers up and down the pitch playing outrageous through balls and turning defenders (still think that flick to Montano for the 3rd against the Scum when looking the other way to confuse the defender was premier league level genius) - get them all in that confident winners mindset consistently for the last 13 games or whatever it is and HMS plss the league is unmooring her lines. 

Archived