Kevin The Valiant

Thirteen to go !!

Firstly .....very many thanks to Carol and Kevin for re-establishing, during their short tenure, a fine spirit and atmosphere around Vale Park .....and to JA and his squad for the sound building blocks and results so far. 

Indeed, here we are in mid February and we are already safe from the trapdoor of non-league.......so onto the next question......

We have 13 games left......and having studied the League table this morning.....I'm pretty confident in saying that Swindon, Crewe and either Exeter or Plymouth should gain automatic promotion. It's positions 5th, 6th and 7th that Vale MUST aim for.

What do we need to do? How many points do we require? 

I'm going to make it simplistic......of the 13 games left......will 7 wins do it?........in my opinion......NO......that would give us 72 points.....just marginally short !!

But 8 wins.......yes.....yes.....yes.......we'd be there !!

Until the dismissals last night, this team was coming to the boil nicely, and although we have Oleyke, Taylor, Smith and Gibbons to return......I don't want to put a damper on things, I forecast that we are going to finish the season just 1 pesky win short.......but please,please,please......to all at Vale Park......prove me wrong......and let's celebrate Carol and Kevin's first anniversary in charge......with a Wembley party in May...........

Depends, if three of our wins were against Plymouth and the Railway children and Colchester then who knows . One things for sure if, and it’s a big if, we were to lose all 13, it would still be an improvement on the last 3 seasons.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, falmouthssoberist said:

I did some prediction maths with all the teams above and around us.... Away at Plymouth will decide us or them in the last automatic spot.. Possibly

A similar situation to 93/94? We went into the final game with 3 points more than Plymouth, the win at Brighton promoted us, and Plymouth won the POs.

I did some prediction maths with all the teams above and around us.... Away at Plymouth will decide us or them in the last automatic spot.. Possibly
Would love to see this come off, but i for one wouldnt call it a disastrous season if we just fell short . My hope for this season was stability and a top half finish. Anything more is a great bonus, so go for it lads , we are right behind you.

Sent from my LG-H340n using onevalefan mobile app

30 minutes ago, falmouthssoberist said:

Last game of the 1977-78 season saw Vale travel to Plymouth. Whichever team lost got relegated. We lost 3-2. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin The Valiant said:

I was at that game.......weren't there 37,000 at Home Park that day ?

9474 according to Jeff Kent

1 hour ago, Kevin The Valiant said:

Definitely watched Vale at Plymouth  in front of 37,000.......early 70's  ??

Not impossible, just under the pre-war record before converted to seating, they have topped 15k this season, capacity 17k approx

11 hours ago, Kevin The Valiant said:

I was at that game.......weren't there 37,000 at Home Park that day ?

Do you announce the attendance figures at the Bet 365 as well😉

• Haha 2

We will be two points behind Plymouth at kick off, I couldn't bring myself predict the result

A similar situation to 93/94? We went into the final game with 3 points more than Plymouth, the win at Brighton promoted us, and Plymouth won the POs.

So much nicer to have a thread with 13 games to go that's not discussing how we scrape together three wins to stay in the division.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Emile said:

I think 7 wins will get us into the playoffs. 

At the moment based on PPG 72 points would do it so 7 wins 1 draw 5 losses or 6 wins 4 draws 3 losses for example.

14 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Almost

Didnt Plymouth beat someone by a daft score like 8.0 but we still went up due to the points?

I'm sure that deflated them and Burnley won the playoffs despite finishing 6th

Could be wrong!

7 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Almost

Didnt Plymouth beat someone by a daft score like 8.0 but we still went up due to the points?

I'm sure that deflated them and Burnley won the playoffs despite finishing 6th

Could be wrong!

Think it was Stockport that they hammered by about 7