Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Colchester Utd

On 13/02/2020 at 19:51, Bald Eagle said:

433 has worked well all season.  Players who will come in have all played an important role.  Don’t understand why we would change a successful formula for a system we have not played under Askey.

I rest my case.  Congratulations to JA for giving the club a playing identity that 1) the players understand 2) is bringing success.

All players have the incentive that if they come in and play well they will keep their place.

Another great performance from Monty - he IS a PROPER left back, he just plays it in a different way to others, but plays it well.

Enjoy the week, on to the Saddlers we go full of confidence

• Like 1

I don't think enough people are fishing for a reply from Ernie on here, which would cause the thread to derail, so that they can then call HIM a troll. Just because you're more on the positive side doesn't mean your'e not trolling.

Gutted I didn't go today, sounded like a cracking game. Finally we have managed to get in the playoffs and it's a brilliant time in the season to find this form and with so many regular starters missing too. It's bloody exciting isn't it!

Edited by glenpvfc
  • Like 1

Fantastic from start to finish. We deserved the opener, especially after dominating large spells of the first 15 minutes. We then weathered the storm (literally), with Colchester having set-piece after set-piece. We dealt with all of them fantastically, they had five or six real big lads, with Bramall whipping in fantastic balls. Going into half time was crucial. The second half was one of the most complete halves of football I’ve seen in a long time. The midfield absolutely dominated the half. Joyce, Conlon and Burgess were unreal, they never stopped. The back four didn’t give their forwards a sniff. Cullen’s two goals were fabulous finishes, both took so well and so composed. Worrall’s ball for his first was easily one of the best passes you will see, it was pin-point. 

Overall, a top performance, capped off with a clean sheet, against a side we always seem to struggle against. Every single one of them players were fantastic. 

MOM - I could genuinely pick all of them, but for me Conlon was superb. I was critical of him earlier on in the season, but this past couple of months he’s really got back to his best. Cullen not far off. 

Joyce, Conlon and Burgess must take huge credit. They are keeping the likes of Atkinson, Manny and Taylor out. I know Jake is injured, but in the past we have seen players rushed back, now we don’t need to do it. 

Onto Walsall now, they picked up three points today against Northampton. It will be a tough game, but with 1500+ Valiants, there is no reason why we can’t pick up another three points. Buzzing for this one now. 

Up to 6th and I’m now genuinely starting to believe. 7 wins from 12 will do it. Credit to Askey, he has transformed this football club. 
Where are the boo boys now? 

UTV! 

• Like 6

Didn’t see that result coming. Thought the conditions would work in their favour.  Far from it, we footballed them to death at times.  Some of our play was outstanding. On to the old enemy next Saturday, where we’ll take a big following after the last few results.  

• Like 1

Well done to everyone at the club. Team selection must have had JA scratching his head after FGR game, well I salute the team dejection and tactics deployed. Well done to all the players who came jumping out if the blocks and took the game to Colchester. 
Especially well done to Mark Cullen who I believe gives us something different from TP. That doesn’t mean I prefer one above the other two different styles of play both of which can be very effective. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem like we can play them together, which is a shame. I’d keep the same starting eleven for next week. I bet there is no one in the physios room at the moment 

I hope Cullen is OK, noticed him stretching out several times second half.  Hopefully it’s nothing.  He was all round excellent today, fantastic touch at times, and nobody can question his finishing after those two goals today, Quality.

• Like 3

Fantastic performance... best of the season. Every single player was at least 7 /10 apart from Brown who had nothing to do!!

Strong in defence , midfield energy and work rate was brilliant and Cullen. showed his quality.

Monty = best left back in the league.

For those who keep crying out for 442, Askeys comment after the game in the sentinel should answer your question:

”He added: “Hopefully that is because we don’t swap and change the way we play too much. So, everybody who comes in knows what is expected in the position they play.”

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A year ago today, a group of Vale fans decided to try and remove Norman. 

Never forget that a small group on here derided them and made it clear that we should leave Norman alone... they needed more evidence and mocked the black and gold efforts.

It won’t be forgotten.

You only get to enjoy the success of the Vale because of those people you wouldn't believe and tried to make feel stupid.

UTV

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Burgess has 4 losses in 26 Port Vale games, 1 against Man City.

He must have a pass completion rate of 99%. Every pass is perfectly weighted, timed, and is nearly always the right decision.

Can't overstate how much I rate him. Makes us tick in midfield. A workrate and stamina so extensive he must be getting drug tested every week. What a gem.

An amazing signing! If Jake Taylor doesn’t end up here permanently we have his twin whose contribution is exceptional!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Burgess has 4 losses in 26 Port Vale games, 1 against Man City.

He must have a pass completion rate of 99%. Every pass is perfectly weighted, timed, and is nearly always the right decision.

Can't overstate how much I rate him. Makes us tick in midfield. A workrate and stamina so extensive he must be getting drug tested every week. What a gem.

Slowly maturing into a very good player. 

I think a lot of us are eating some large slices of humble pie tonight and long may it continue. I think as fans we all have to remember to stay level headed and enjoy every moment of this now. 50 points was the target so anything beyond that is a bonus.

That performance was sublime to a man. Something seems to have clicked since the second half against Exeter. It’s almost like the shackles are off. 

Brilliant!!!

Edited by dantheman
  • Like 1