Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Colchester Utd

10 hours ago, SuperHuman said:

The Colchester win has created euphoria on here and social media in relation to us getting promoted now. Some are even talking about the automatic places. Whilst I encourage us all to ride this crest of a wave and enjoy ourselves during the good period, I just hope doom and gloom doesn’t set in after a loss. A lot of our fan base do seem to be getting very high with a win and very low with a loss. We have been quietly going about our business excellently and without expectation. Let’s just carry on getting behind the lads and see where the remainder of the season takes us. This is in no way intending on being a negative post by the way, I’m chuffed to bits with out recent form.

Yes indeed , you’re quite right. I’m sure that  John Askey has instilled that into the players and the proof is how they have responded since the Swindon game. 
Saturday was a complete performance from the Vale. Excellent to watch . Everyone doing their job. A long way to go , but you know the change is like night and day compared to last season. It’s so nice to see it, for all Vale fans, Carol and Kevin (thank you so much) , and John and Kevin and staff. Not many teams will want to play the Vale after this, but we won’t get too carried away just yet. It’s going to be a very exciting run-in. UTV 

Listened  to P&G on Sunday , as I was working on Saturday. Just my opinion , but Artell really is a nasty character. We had a bad ref during the week as well, but the difference is that John Askey has class, whilst Artell just spits venom all the time. 
Horrible little man. Hope we stuff them and do the double over them. 

Cullens finishing was a class above and the first goal is down to Browne’s excellent work rate .

5199 on a awful weather day is terrific with 123 away followers I tip my hat to them .

They are a really good team are Colchester so to play as well as what our players did is testament to them .

Marks well I’d give Brown a 6 the other seven a 8 Conlon a 9 and Worrall and Cullen a joint 10 as the second goal was a thing of beauty .

Askey is doing really well and the players are putting bums on seats which is fantastic 

The shanahans have united the club and I hope more and more folk in the area of Staffordshire come and give there hard earned and come watch the Vale and in the mean time every single supporter encourages more and more .

12 games left everyone one to look forwards too

Thank you Vale .

• Like 1

Woke up this morning thinking that even in the Micky Adams promotion season we weren't this good.

In terms of skill it's as good as it's been in recent years but the added factor for me is the unity at the club - from the boardroom, through the management and players down to the people in the tea bars. This is something that isn't going to evaporate if we get a bad result between now and the end of the season, as it might have done at one time - I think things are just going to get better and better. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, robf said:

Yes, he's taken up a new role at Millwall. However, to his credit I saw he had liked multiple tweets about Saturday's win. 

Follow him on Insta & he added a few things to his story about us like usual. He was sitting at home & watched the entire game on iFollow.

3 hours ago, Heatwave said:

Woke up this morning thinking that even in the Micky Adams promotion season we weren't this good.

In terms of skill it's as good as it's been in recent years but the added factor for me is the unity at the club - from the boardroom, through the management and players down to the people in the tea bars. This is something that isn't going to evaporate if we get a bad result between now and the end of the season, as it might have done at one time - I think things are just going to get better and better. 

I agree 100%.

This is what steady, incremental progress looks like.

This is what valuing your staff and building a team looks like.

It's good people doing good things and getting good outcomes.

Edited by SFBT
  • Like 3

Just now, SFBT said:

I agree 100%.

This is what steady, incremental progress looks like.

This is what valuing your staff and building a team looks like.

It's good people doing good things at getting good outcomes.

The promo season under Adams was as good as it gets surely? We absolutely annihilated sides at times Burton 7-1, Rotherham 6-2, Fleetwood 5-2, Plymouth 4-0, Bristol Rovers 4-0, Barnet 3-0, Wimbledon 3-0, Accrington 3-0, Oxford 3-0, Wycombe 4-1 to name a few... 

The main difference I would say is this season though is the unity throughout the club and the Man City tie added in, plus we've grown into it so feels as good as we are having to work harder for it I would say!

A lot of similarities in the way we've seemingly bounced back from bad times though (admin, Gannon etc in 2012) and Smurf and close to losing EFL status this.

Saturday was an immense result, Colchester are usually solid and we tore them apart. We are no longer under the radar after that and teams will have taken note... this week has been a statement to the rest.

I felt Saturday with the players missing and quality of the opposition, adding in the weather might be a game too far but again we exceed expectation.

Worrall's ball for the 2nd was world class, if Messi or KDB plays that the press are raving, it was Beckhamesque, he put it on a sixpence for Cullen, right angle, right power and just enough to take out the last defender, you won't see a better goal this season.

We are purring away like a cat at the minute and long may it continue, lets enjoy the high's after suffering countless lows.

• Like 5

Watching the highlights on here reminded me of a comment made at the game on Saturday of how much better we did when we were pressing high in midfield. At time (including the led up to the 1st goal) we were swarming all over them and forcing the errors. The work rate and teamwork was the best I have seen for years.

And it was all bought together in the last 5 minutes when they had a corner. Joyce, Leggy, Smudge and several others were organizing, encouraging and generally working together - all desperate for a clean sheet. Such a turn around from the last few years and Askey and the players deserve a massive pat on the back for where they have got to from such a bad position.

• Like 3

On 16/02/2020 at 11:46, JohnJames said:

Here’s what Quest had to say about us for you non twitterererereereres 

Stealth Vale as we were called - just done it quietly and again seeing those goals were just brilliant.  The pass for the first goal was just magical - begging to be finished off and it was in great fashion.  The players are playing with such confidence and it is great to see.

13 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

Listened  to P&G on Sunday , as I was working on Saturday. Just my opinion , but Artell really is a nasty character. We had a bad ref during the week as well, but the difference is that John Askey has class, whilst Artell just spits venom all the time. 
Horrible little man. Hope we stuff them and do the double over them. 

Exactly what I thought as i listened to him. So cocky when they win but boy oh boy, when they lose.....  Vile man, no class at all, hope we do them again, love to hear him slag us off after a 4th consecutive win against them. I assume that the FA will have him for those comments on Saturday, blimey if Mourinho had said that he would be banned for months. then again, it's Crwho so perhaps they won't, they seem to be able to do whatever they want. remember the fan who ran on and assaulted our goalie, flares every derby, etc.

Mcgarry's commentaries are interesting - screaming, voice quivering when they score ( notice how it is always an incredible goal as well),  that penalty on Saturday,  "it's a penalty" - you could hardly hear him, lol. 

Also, they seem to be succeeding with their"blank it" policy re past events , which is quite incredible how they are being allowed to do that. Vile club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

Remember the fan who ran on and assaulted our goalie, flares every derby, etc.

Flares? Crewe is truly the place where the 70s never went away.

1 hour ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

Exactly what I thought as i listened to him. So cocky when they win but boy oh boy, when they lose.....  Vile man, no class at all, hope we do them again, love to hear him slag us off after a 4th consecutive win against them. I assume that the FA will have him for those comments on Saturday, blimey if Mourinho had said that he would be banned for months. then again, it's Crwho so perhaps they won't, they seem to be able to do whatever they want. remember the fan who ran on and assaulted our goalie, flares every derby, etc.

Mcgarry's commentaries are interesting - screaming, voice quivering when they score ( notice how it is always an incredible goal as well),  that penalty on Saturday,  "it's a penalty" - you could hardly hear him, lol. 

Also, they seem to be succeeding with their"blank it" policy re past events , which is quite incredible how they are being allowed to do that. Vile club.

Mcgarry loves to get carried away while doing his job and often shouts "GOAL!" when it's not, but historically he's actually a bit of a Vale fan. 

• Thanks 1

I have to agree, Artell is a bit of a prat. He did have a case that we should have had a penalty on Saturday but he could present himself better. And the Porter miss was unbelievable. But these things happen, I was expecting us to be mid table this season so it’s been a pleasant surprise all in all. Will be going to the Macclesfield game on Saturday, as the team I coach have no match. Still lots to play for.

15 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:
2 hours ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

Exactly what I thought as i listened to him. So cocky when they win but boy oh boy, when they lose.....  Vile man, no class at all

Artell really is a nasty character.

I had to laugh when he said that the ref only awarded Plymouth's penalty, and didn't give Crewe a penalty, was because it was "easier for him to upset 300 away fans than their, what 5000 fans".........the attendance was over 11000, so even when he's trying put-downs he makes himself look an utter kn0b!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old fort said:

Mcgarry loves to get carried away while doing his job and often shouts "GOAL!" when it's not, but historically he's actually a bit of a Vale fan. 

I was absolutely astounded when I first heard McGarry is vale.

Just doesnt sit well at all.

I remember when George Andrew's used to do that on our commentaries.

I remember tuning in once to him going "great chance here for the vale.  Musslewhite to take the free kick......."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a game, what a performance, what an atmosphere in those conditions every single player was superb the midfield were absolutely awesome they never stopped pressing and chasng and tracking back all game Cullens goals were quality wozzers pass for his first was Beckham esk the control and finish by Cullen was as cool as a cucumber, his 2nd was just perfection. Close to 5000 home fans who made a fantastic atmosphere a shame more didn't take up the offer that was on but never mind you missed a 90 minutes to saver

Rare visit for me. 

2nd goal and as probably metioned by everyone, would have graced the international stage. Ball won in own half. Quick break. Sublime cross from Worrall - as above, KDB would be happy with that. Amazing first touch from Cullen.

Couple of other outstanding moment was Ryan Browne's control in the 2nd half bringing down a high ball with virtually no space, dead, no 2nd touch needed. Incredible skill.

Defensive highlight was the tall Colchester winger starting off against Nathan Smith. Getting nothing. Then going over to Montano. Getting nothing. 

You hit form at the right time and stuff can happen. 

22 hours ago, Phil1965 said:

I have to agree, Artell is a bit of a prat. He did have a case that we should have had a penalty on Saturday but he could present himself better. And the Porter miss was unbelievable. But these things happen, I was expecting us to be mid table this season so it’s been a pleasant surprise all in all. Will be going to the Macclesfield game on Saturday, as the team I coach have no match. Still lots to play for.

There's a very thin dividing line between passion and idiocy. Dave Artell crosses it sometimes; so did Micky Adams when he was here. Doesn't make them bad managers but does make them look like prats.