Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Colchester Utd

A superb performance, knocked out with the effort and belief that was so evident on the pitch yesterday. I have been guilty of doubt over the manager before now but ,boy, was I wrong. Glad I have been proved wrong.utv

It was an absolute pleasure to see so many happy, smiling faces at Vale yesterday. Fans were actually talking to each other from several rows apart and that has not occurred for yonks.

Askey's system is bearing fruition as all squad members can now fit in when required to do a job.

Several of the players who some Vale fans may questioned are now reaping the rewards of game time and this "sensible, laid back approach" from the manager is so infectious it's catching on with the fan base.

It is an honour to be a Valiant this season, after so many years of depression and outright skulduggery by certain owners/managers.  The feel good factor is gaining momentum and if we can keep our expectations to reasonable levels then our march to better days is well and truly under way.

I witnesses many "older" ( and I'm one of them) fans yesterday up on their feet, chanting and singing the praises of the efforts of the entire squad. It was heart warming to say the least. Happy days are here again!  

Can't single out any individual on that performance BUT I did post pre match that I would play Smudger at full back to allow the  blossoming Legge/Brisley partnership  to continue. Smith was a revelation. His defence was immaculate and by God he actually was sensational charging down the wing, beating men and crossing the ball! Get that contract signed Smithy soon so as to be part of this fantastic Vale revival. 👍 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

When you consider that win was coming off the back of a fantastic team performance at Northampton, a good win at Forest green and then factor in that we made a few changes and were missing some of our best players in Pope, Gibbo, Clark, Amoo and Taylor then it makes it all the more sweeter a victory and performance.

Simply put I think we had more hunger and desire all over the pitch. We wanted it more than them and made them look very ordinary. If I was a fan or even the manager I’d be very disappointed that they didn’t match our effort and hunger, that’s the least you should expect from a team. 

I’m sure we’ll keep the same side for the next game, hopefully the players that came in and did well can put in the same level of performance, because we have seen players come in and do well for a game and then following it up with a poor individual performance. 

Well said Robf.   I do agree .what a Brilliant Game of Football . Every one worked so well together. 10/10. . For them all . Come on the VALE xx  and welcome to Dan. From the press room . He  did did very well x 

• Like 2

Good to watch the highlights on the front page.

Right at the end it shows Montano making a great interception to cut out a dangerous ball across the 6-yard box and put it behind for a corner........except the ref gave it as a goal kick for us! The incompetence made me chuckle at the game!

• Like 2

I have just rewatched the extended highlights on ifollow. 

The press that Askey has introduced to this team is amazing to watch. 

The one for the first goal is great but there is an even better example just before half time which end up with Cullen having a long range effort... The vale start the press after colchester head the ball back into our half. It’s sustained as colchester try and play out of it. Burgess in particular sprints to press before dropping back into shape... colchester are forced back into their half. As they attempt to play forward Joyce and Smith attack as a pair forcing the ball to go back again, The receiver is hassled by Cullen and his forward pass is closed down by Browne, it goes back again and this time the pass is sloppy, Conlon has seen it and intercepted the pass ... his first time touch frees up Cullen who drives towards goal with colchester all out off position.

Is beautiful to watch... each time the vale player drives at the receiving player with intent before dropping back into the defensive shape. Well drilled, hunting as a unit.

If Liverpool has done it, MOTD would have been raving about the tactics and discipline!

And don’t get me started on the attacking movement between Browne, Conlon and Monty for Monty’s curled effort that goes just over... stunning!

• Like 2

I never saw that result coming, we’ve gone from only winning back to back games once this season to winning 3 on the bounce, would have taken a point before the game. Difficult to pick a motm, a choice between Conlon, Browne first half, Cullen or Worrall.

noticed there was a lot more in the Bycars which is a good sign imo.

avenge our only home defeat next week and it’s happy days.

4 minutes ago, Vale at home said:

welcome to Dan. From the press room . He  did did very well x 

Was yesterday the first game without Max McLellan? - sure I read that Forest Green would be his last game.

Makes yesterday's win even better with another missing, on top of the suspended 3!😁

Edited by The Kalamazoo Kid

1 minute ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Was yesterday the first game without Max McLellan? - sure I read that Forest Green would be his last game.

Yes it was.

2 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Yes, he's taken up a new role at Millwall. However, to his credit I saw he had liked multiple tweets about Saturday's win. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Makes yesterday's win even better with another missing, on top of the suspended 3!😁

Any of our players who were missing through injury or suspension would get into any side in this division, what a squad we have now.

17 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Any of our players who were missing through injury or suspension would get into any side in this division, what a squad we have now.

That’s a good observation. Pope Gibbo Amoo Clark Taylor have proved to be good players at this level. 

Edited by PV1973

Step one : google skybet signup offer
Step two : register, as you are probably already on there use your missus' card or something to register a new account
Step three : Stick £10 on Vale going up (13/2) and £10 on a Vale up Scum down double (55.25/1)
Step four : Stick the 2x £10 free bets they've now just given you from the signup offer on Vale play off winners (15/2) and Scum down double (62.75/1)
Step five : Immediately cash out your paid bets, get your £20 back, withdraw back to bank account, have a free chance of winning £75 or £700
Step six - don't cash out and have a chance of winning £1340 via a playoff win and the shlt down, or still profit £55 if the scum stay up but we win auto, or £130 if the scum stay up but we win the playoffs 

11 hours ago, toyahw said:

We were ace today Doha, for your further enjoyment..

Butland was at fault for goals 1,3 & 4, how he retains his place I’ll never know. If he’s worth £15m then Brown’s worth £20m.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, toyahw said:

We were ace today Doha, for your further enjoyment..

Love the little glance and mouthing off of our boy Jord.

Well in, son. Eze gives the scum some stick too. Superb. Defensively they are a right shambles.

The energy of the front 5 (front 3 + Conlon and Burgess) are fundamental. The opposition don't have a second before there's some bulldozer in white barrelling towards them with insatiable energy and desire. They're either hoofing it long which Brisley and Legge will gobble up all day long, or they're trying to pass it out and getting caught, as they did for the first.

This is a well-drilled side; it doesn't matter who is playing. Every individual has the same traits; good stamina, mobile, disciplined, and willing to sacrifice for the team. They seem to be getting fitter and more cohesive as the season goes on.

Even if we don't go up, I'm convinced Askey knows what he's doing. He has a stable, long-term contract, the backing of the fans and superb supportive people in the boardroom.

A Macc fan told us that all Askey needs is time. He doesn't even seem to be needing that at present.

• Like 1