Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Colchester Utd

The great thing we've had this season is players coming in when needed, getting up to speed and then being ace. Browne, Brisley, Cullen. They all took a game or so to get up to speed. And all three I thought were gash recruits. More fool me. A bit of game time and you see what they are about.

Our biggest problem at the moment is keeping them all happy. Because we have 16 who have earned a starting place.

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Utter bo77ocks, people are using “Arthur” in an endearing sense, in no way shape or form is it meant to be derogatory.

It was used in a derogatory manner by one or two posters on here especially during the close season and the beginning of the season.

10 minutes ago, toyahw said:

The great thing we've had this season is players coming in when needed, getting up to speed and then being ace. Browne, Brisley, Cullen. They all took a game or so to get up to speed. And all three I thought were gash recruits. More fool me. A bit of game time and you see what they are about.

Our biggest problem at the moment is keeping them all happy. Because we have 16 who have earned a starting place.

It’s good to see people admit they were wrong about the recruitment... now the secret is not making the same mistake next year when Askey is building his squad to either go up or fight for league 1 survival! 

14 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Utter bo77ocks, people are using “Arthur” in an endearing sense, in no way shape or form is it meant to be derogatory.

Some are I agree... but the usual crowd weren’t during the summer when they were writing him off.

When they are next on the forum we can ask them... it will be after we don’t win a game. 

Askey has proved me wrong. I was fuming after the Newport game when I could see how poor Newport were. He has proved me wrong with not having 2 up front, and proved me wrong with having no depth in the squad. I am happier than a pig in sh i i t about it!!!😃

Now I need to start a crowd funding page for flights home in May.

Edited by MelbourneValiant
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, blackdog said:

It was used in a derogatory manner by one or two posters on here especially during the close season and the beginning of the season.

I believe I was the first to mention it on PVO, it was never a term of abuse. It was more you need to be a bloody comedian to come here, at that time. It's become a term of affection. Where's me washboard eh eh? King Arthur. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Do you really think so?

May be you do, but clearly there are plenty others that don't.  Personally, I prefer to use his given name. 

• Like 1

Blimey. That is unbelievable. I can't think of a worse miss than that. Amazing.

Who cares? Today's result for us was outstanding - with perhaps 4-5 "first teamers" missing. How good were we today?

Enormous credit not only to the usual 8/10 stalwarts but also to the likes of Brisley, Conlon, Browne and Cullen (in particular) who were superb today. Wonderful stuff.

6 hours ago, Doha said:

Just had chance see the highlights

That Worrall ball for the second was O U T R A G E O U S

That's De Bruyne and Gary Lineker &co would be creaming all night long on Match of the day.

Can I also add if nobody has mentioned that Rhys Browne was excellent defensively today , his tracking back was brilliant. He conceded one or two corners with decent tackles as well as the assist. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Not heard mention of the pitch, which looks in very good nick in spite of the abundance of rain.

Let's hope after the concert it doesn't resemble that ploughed field at Newport

Credit to Speedy and his team as Vale and Accrington used to be casualty of bad weather whilst teams like Leek Town or Glossop managed to play 

I haven't seen a Vale side look as together as they did yesterday since the glory days of the 90s. You could tell by the way they played for each other and by their body language at full time. 

Credit to John Askey for instilling this mindset into his team. Possibly getting advice from another John?

• Like 6

8 hours ago, toyahw said:

Arthur Askey's black and white army,

We're so good it's unbelievable.

Is Danny Pugh still a member of coaching staff, his name was not in the program under coaching staff today 

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

That's De Bruyne and Gary Lineker &co would be creaming all night long on Match of the day.

Can I also add if nobody has mentioned that Rhys Browne was excellent defensively today , his tracking back was brilliant. He conceded one or two corners with decent tackles as well as the assist. 

I thought Browne was outstanding yesterday. I can’t think of a time he let his man get the better of him, making several good blocks. Linked up great with Cullen and Monty. If only he hadn’t have skied that one on one. I like Amoo, but you can’t drop Browne after that performance. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I thought Browne was outstanding yesterday. I can’t think of a time he let his man get the better of him, making several good blocks. Linked up great with Cullen and Monty. If only he hadn’t have skied that one on one. I like Amoo, but you can’t drop Browne after that performance. 

I don't think you can drop anyone mate. But this is the conundrum Askey gets paid for I guess. Not certain Cullen is the man away from home but surely he can't be dropped. Also I'm a firm believer of playing players in position, but again how can he drop Smith. 

An unthinkable situation after the meltdown on here after Salford. 

Brisley is a proper league 2 head it and kick it merchant who the last few games has been immense. Browne worked tirelessly, Cullen goals were class.

And I'll hold my hand up I've not been Conlon number one fan. He assisted two wins at Stevenage and Cobblers and now opened the scoring. 

Whilst beating Colchester doesn't make us world beaters nor did the defeat at Salford turn us into Stoke !! 

Same team next week and huge options on the bench. 

Edited by darren1810
Spelling error
  • Like 1