onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Colchester Utd

Fosse69

Welcome to all our returning mates about to see what they have been missing. Huge game, another 6-pointer, hopefully many more to follow. Let`s carry on with our winning momentum after 2 hard fought  away wins..  Colchester unexpectedly lost last night, Vernam`s hat trick worth studying to see their weakness? A couple of reds, Pope and Clarke, at FGR  means a shuffle, but at least we have options nowadays, first  view of Oyeleke at VP this year as he gains match fitness.  3-1 to keep in the mix and move at least one place up, above Prosser`s  Colchester, more if others slip up.  

Advert

This one will be a real challenge... but we seem to have risen to those so far this season!

Brisley and Legge vs another team from the land of the giants

Nouble vs Atkinson will be their key match up. 

Looks like Verman had some joy on the left of a front three... Wozza for the win?

UTV

Oyeleke looked great in his cameo against FGR but I wonder if a few more sub appearances will benefit him more than rushing him into a start? It would be devastating if he broke down again.

I think Jake Taylor could make the squad too. In the Sentinel, JA said that Oyeleke was due back for Northampton and Jake Taylor the week after. If so, even with the suspensions etc that would be one heck of a strong bench for the Vale!

Agree with you. Oyeleke's strength would be an asset, especially in games against big, powerful teams like Colchester. But he needs to be brought back gradually, with 30 mins here, 45 there. We'll probably need him at some time tomorrow.

They marmalised us last season at Vale Park, primarily because they were taller, stronger and far more physical and combative than we were. It was men against boys. That's why I'm annoyed with Pope who would have played in this game and helped us to compete physically with their giants. I think they often field 6-7 six footers. That will be the problem to overcome. 

Our back four should be ok. But we look a bit lightweight in midfield and up front, as Bennett needs to fight harder and use his height and weight more than he does.

It will be good to see the return of both Taylor and Crookes. Crookes too might have played his part in a game like this and it's useful to have a natural left footer in the squad. We really only have a couple of them.

I can't see Brisley as a full back. It's Smith's type of game but it surely has to be Atkinson (maybe Evans) in at right back. I can see Smithy used as defensive shield in front of the back four, as last weekend, if required but I wouldn't disturb the Legg-Brisley partnership for this one. Brisley has been excellent lately and really risen to the task. We all thought he was a bit part player and not in the mix at all but he's surely surprised us all. As good as anyone else in the last few weeks.

The forecast is grim. Looking like a gale force wind and lots of rain, so it'll be a battle and probably not pretty on the eye.

Brown

Atko Brisley Legge Monty

Conlon Joyce Burgess

Worrall Cullen Amoo

Get Cullen playing like he did when we beat Orient; dropping deep and threading passes through to the wingers.

I'd be half-tempted to start Browne on the left, purely because of how much more dangerous Worrall is from the right. Browne offered nothing going forward last night but I thought he did his fair share of defensive work, which could be important against the pace they have going forward.

55 minutes ago, Vale fan in Alsager said:

Hope the offer has been well received and those who want to go  get to go .

Id offer it to ten match purchases as well as lad on Port Vale FC on Facebook said he wanted bring a non follower of football but is disappointed it’s only for season ticket holders ,he as like me a ten game one .

Asfor the club wouldn’t it be great if over 8000 folk came a reward for the fantastic work done on and off the pitch 

UTV 

Fair point VFIA, seeing as ten matchers were treated the same as season ticketers for dabs on the City tickets. Would make sense,

Tough one for me this. Lived in Colchester for 30plus years and go to many of the home games. They are my second team for sure. ( not many can claim to follow 2 sides in L2!!)
I go to all Vale down south fixtures and try and get to sunny Boslem now and again.

Col Utd, barring the midweek Grimsby result have been in magnificent form most of the season.I think the Holloway effect gave Grimsby that bounce they were looking for and fully deserved 3 points.

Col utd knock it around on the deck and play with a high press and tempo. They will make good use of the wide pitch at Vale I think. Theo Robinson is a cut above most in this league so definitely the man to watch from Vale's perspective.

Personally I think a point would not be a bad result for either side but Vale will have to be at their best to have any chance of all 3.

Caught between a rock and a hard place with this one as have one foot in either camp!! I'd love 3 pts for the Vale but would probably snap your hand off for a point apiece here and now

23 minutes ago, valechef78 said:

Tough one for me this. Lived in Colchester for 30plus years and go to many of the home games. They are my second team for sure. ( not many can claim to follow 2 sides in L2!!)
I go to all Vale down south fixtures and try and get to sunny Boslem now and again.

Col Utd, barring the midweek Grimsby result have been in magnificent form most of the season.I think the Holloway effect gave Grimsby that bounce they were looking for and fully deserved 3 points.

Col utd knock it around on the deck and play with a high press and tempo. They will make good use of the wide pitch at Vale I think. Theo Robinson is a cut above most in this league so definitely the man to watch from Vale's perspective.

Personally I think a point would not be a bad result for either side but Vale will have to be at their best to have any chance of all 3.

Caught between a rock and a hard place with this one as have one foot in either camp!! I'd love 3 pts for the Vale but would probably snap your hand off for a point apiece here and now

How many do you think will come all the way up from Essex?

Going to be tough, Colchester always are a physical powerful side so we will need to be up for the battle.

Robinson seems to have found form there, considering he was average at best at Vale Park but we have to trust our home form.

Colchester’s away form is fairly average, only four wins on the road but equally only four defeats so like a good away draw!

They’ve had a little wobble after a good run but still think a draw would be a solid enough result with the games to come. If we do win this one then it would be a massive statement of intent but a draw keeps them within a point and a couple will drop points so hopefully allowing us to build against two of the sides well below us.

Archived