onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Colchester Utd

Fosse69

11 minutes ago, Mario said:

When Askey joined the club he must have wondered what he had let himself in for, a disjointed rag tag of a team who looked a lost cause.

On top of this, there were those who are now very quiet, who thought it funny and clever to call him Arthur after the comic because he allegedly didn't know what he was doing, there were those that said with some certainty that he could only sign ex Macc players inferring he was lazy.

No matter how the season ends, Askey has now disproved both those allegations,he has proved all the doubters wrong and the club is in a far better place on the pitch than for a very long time.

I feel that we have a team and a cohesion that has been lacking for years,so all those taking the mickey at the start of the season how about admitting you were wrong,are you there Ernie ?

Absolutely agree with the utterly disrespectful Arthur tag, which I find really offensive to someone who could have easily walked  away and shafted us. 

Thanks in large part too him, the Shanahans and Dave Kevan, we are now looking a proper team which has instilled a pride back in to what was, a cancerous club , in the space of a year. 

Massive respect to a great bloke and his way of doing things. 

Advert

If you asked people to name what they believe our best 11 would be, with everyone fit and available, I think you would get quite mixed replies. That's the sign of a good team, a play-off challenging team. With no Smith, Clark, Gibbons, Taylor, Oyeleke, Amoo or Pope in the starting 11 today, and they all have a strong case to be in our best 11, then it's really quite amazing what we've been doing under John Askey, especially of late. Other players come into the team and then make it extremely difficult for the one's that have to drop out to get back into the side. Everyone who starts know they need to produce. If Cullen for example has a stinker should he start the next game, which he will feel he should do, then you can bet either Pope or Bennett will be starting the game after that. I still have no idea who our best or most ideal striker is as all three of them have differing qualities. I've always thought that Cullen could potentially be the best of the three, but away from home is he big or strong enough to hold up the ball when we're under the cosh and need some rest bite? Bennett is big and mobile, but he will rarely score the goals that Cullen did today...

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Burgess has 4 losses in 26 Port Vale games, 1 against Man City.

He must have a pass completion rate of 99%. Every pass is perfectly weighted, timed, and is nearly always the right decision.

Can't overstate how much I rate him. Makes us tick in midfield. A workrate and stamina so extensive he must be getting drug tested every week. What a gem.

👍

Delighted he's with us for another two years - he could be an absolute star by then...

3 minutes ago, Wrex said:

I won't be too bothered if we don't go up this year because I'm very confident we'll go up from the automatics next season.

If we don't make it this year, I'd love us to be a consistent top two or three team next season and have the attendances to reflect that, because if we could, then we would ultimately be stronger when promoted. 

Of course, all pie in the sky at the moment as we still have the business end of this season to manage,  but yes, if I could shape the future   I'd like us to achieve a play off place this season and run away with the league next, unless of course we can do both and run away with L1 next year!!  😁😁

9 minutes ago, Old fort said:

If we don't make it this year, I'd love us to be a consistent top two or three team next season and have the attendances to reflect that, because if we could, then we would ultimately be stronger when promoted. 

Of course, all pie in the sky at the moment as we still have the business end of this season to manage,  but yes, if I could shape the future   I'd like us to achieve a play off place this season and run away with the league next, unless of course we can do both and run away with L1 next year!!  😁😁

If the chance is there grab it, I don't see why with a few additions in the close season that we could not hold our own mid way in L1. More TV money, better crowds.

31 minutes ago, TylerB said:

With no Smith, Clark, Gibbons, Taylor, Oyeleke, Amoo or Pope in the starting 11 today

Smith started and kept their bloke down our right quiet. But I take your point.

That was a really really good performance. But let us keep our feet on the ground and not get carried away. We are already massively over achieving. Chuffed for Browne and Cullen who have struggled for game time. But really stepped up to the plate.

I think Arthur's biggest problem is now keeping them all happy. I mean, you would have thought Amoo, Gibbo, Clark, Pope would have walked into the team today. And Taylor if fit. But after that who are you going to drop to make way?

Who'd be a manager... but good problems for once.

Really good today.

So do Taylor and Amoo walk back into the side within the next week or two? Browne played well today and with starts you would like to think he would only get better and more confident. Taylor was arguably our player of the season up until he got injured, but Joyce, Burgess and Conlon as a trio is working brilliantly for us, in the same way that Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Henderson often do for Liverpool, despite having the talented Keita and composed Lallana around.

1 minute ago, toyahw said:

That was a really really good performance. But let us keep our feet on the ground and not get carried away. We are already massively over achieving. Chuffed for Browne and Cullen who have struggled for game time. But really stepped up to the plate.

I think Arthur's biggest problem is now keeping them all happy. I mean, you would have thought Amoo, Gibbo, Clark, Pope would have walked into the team today. And Taylor if fit. But after that who are you going to drop to make way?

Really good today.

Of course! I've had a few Shandy's and probably will think my name is Rupert by midnight to be fair.

The ref was very consistent in the end and had a good game.  Wish we had more like him.  
Apart from missing a blatant kicking out off the ball from their player but booked Burgess for his reaction to the same thing...He looked like he was staring straight at it but somehow missed a straightforward red card.

9 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Really good today.

Keeping the shirt, or rotation, becomes more difficult with a winning run, keeping our own players happy, whilst also making use of 2  promising loan players who can turn games. Bringing subs on to change a game and/or give match fitness is more problematic when we are in front.

34 minutes ago, TylerB said:

So do Taylor and Amoo walk back into the side within the next week or two?

No, when you consider that the best player we have (IMO - Oyeleke) cannot get into the team - something that I'm chuffed about, incidentally, as the longer he has to get fully fit and up-to-speed the better.

I've been critical about Conlon previously, but he was magnificent in the second-half against Exeter, and also superb today, and fully deserves his place.

And Burgess' energy means he is similarly almost impossible to drop currently.

Archived