onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Colchester Utd

Fosse69

1 hour ago, Old fort said:

Re P&G 

Has Carl left the country?

I was going to text the programme to ask if he'd passed away but thought better of it!

I went to the match today expecting a war of attrition in awful conditions with actual football being at a premium - bit like Northampton last week.  How wrong could I be!  Both sides, to their credit, attempted to keep the ball on the deck and play properly.  In the conditions it was the best approach and paid dividends for Vale.  An outstanding performance with every single one of them putting in a great shift.  I hope those who claimed Askey didn't know what he was doing are currently stirring the custard to go with their humble pie. 

Advert

50 minutes ago, dantheman said:

Slowly maturing into a very good player. 

I think a lot of us are eating some large slices of humble pie tonight and long may it continue. I think as fans we all have to remember to stay level headed and enjoy every moment of this now. 50 points was the target so anything beyond that is a bonus.

That performance was sublime to a man. Something seems to have clicked since the second half against Exeter. It’s almost like the shackles are off. 

Brilliant!!!

Burgess's pass completion rate is 78.1% and, for a young player, his other stats are not bad either.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/147792/Show/Scott-Burgess

The future's bright.

In any game played in difficult conditions, there’s always the potential for one team to be up for it a bit more than the other, so I’m happy we ended up on the right side of the result today.

That tricky bit at the end of the half that we negotiated could define our season. 

A year ago this weekend Vale were staring at oblivion. A home defeat by Morecombe and non league was a distinct possibility. The atmosphere around the place was awful fuelled by an incompetent, to put it mildly, owner and disaster loomed both on and off the pitch. Fast forward twelve months and it almost beggars belief that this is the same club. Optimism has been steadily growing off the pitch since the sale of the club but most fans were in agreement that the playing side this season had more of a look of consolidation rather than a full on assault on promotion but how wrong we were. The progress this squad has made is remarkable and today a so called weakened 11 blew away a promotion candidate with a complete 90 minute performance. No one fancies playing this team at the moment and I honestly believe a top three spot is not of question which 52 weeks ago was simply impossible to believe. Amazing stuff 

For me, one player sums up today's team and last year's team.
Joyce is the lynch pin of the team.
In our somewhat pedestrian and defensive side of last year, he seemed slow and negative.
Always passing sideways.
Today, in a very energetic, forward thinking team, he is quick and positive, often playing incisive forward passes.
This is a proper team where everyone knows their role and work so hard for each other.
A remarkable transformation, way ahead of schedule.
It seems disrespectful to select individuals, as they all rely so much on each other and every player is a better player because of the team ethic.
Wow!
It was a pleasure to be there today!

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

Burgess has 4 losses in 26 Port Vale games, 1 against Man City.

He must have a pass completion rate of 99%. Every pass is perfectly weighted, timed, and is nearly always the right decision.

Can't overstate how much I rate him. Makes us tick in midfield. A workrate and stamina so extensive he must be getting drug tested every week. What a gem.

Champion of the young man myself also.

Energy, quality and vision. Not too shabby for a whipper snapper. Seems also to take inspiration from Worralls work rate and Conlon too has upped every aspect of his game which explains why we are now out working a number of teams. 

Cullen also fits very well in to this system,  which goes to show that we can play quality football if we don't set up to hoof the ball up to an immobile front man. 

Nice not too have to make any excuses about the horrendous conditions,  in fact I wonder if any other team had  ole's today? 

Still very much a feet on the ground approach though,  but we are starting to get to a point where we can all start to believe in the impossible. The next five games will shape the reality of this seasons potential. 

We do love the Vale, we do!

When Askey joined the club he must have wondered what he had let himself in for, a disjointed rag tag of a team who looked a lost cause.

On top of this, there were those who are now very quiet, who thought it funny and clever to call him Arthur after the comic because he allegedly didn't know what he was doing, there were those that said with some certainty that he could only sign ex Macc players inferring he was lazy.

No matter how the season ends, Askey has now disproved both those allegations,he has proved all the doubters wrong and the club is in a far better place on the pitch than for a very long time.

I feel that we have a team and a cohesion that has been lacking for years,so all those taking the mickey at the start of the season how about admitting you were wrong,are you there Ernie ?

Top class all round, going into the business end full of confidence and beating teams around us with relative ease, you can’t ask for anymore.

You can see the hunger to get the ball back all over the pitch, no one wants to lose, we’ve got the but between our teeth and they all want it!

UTV, play off bound

2 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Top class all round, going into the business end full of confidence and beating teams around us with relative ease, you can’t ask for anymore.

You can see the hunger to get the ball back all over the pitch, no one wants to lose, we’ve got the but between our teeth and they all want it!

UTV, play off bound

It’s great to see!

Next challenge is picking up points in games we are expected to win. We are great against teams that attack us and leave space for us to play through... so far breaking down teams that sit back and park the bus has been the challenge. 

Get that sorted, either this season or next and this team can really kick on and achieve.

UTV!!

Archived