onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Forest Green Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

First of all - We're a far better side than they are. On another day we would and should have beaten them by 5.

Clark's an idiot - You don't do that when you're 3 up and cruising. But he's young and still relatively inexperienced. For Pope there can be absolutely no excuse. And 11vs9 it's always going to be extremely difficult no matter what side you're up against. Another 5 minutes and they would have got a point out of the game which would have been criminal.

The referee got some decisons right but probably more by luck than anything else. He's an absolute car crash of an official. 

Advert

14 minutes ago, Doha said:

Monty had a good game particularly with Browne not being great.

Obviously couldn’t hear what he said but Popes second booking was harsh. His first one was incredibly idiotic. 

I knew there’s be at least one sending off second half. Kettle couldn’t wait for it. Tosser.

He did. Worrall MOTM for me. Browne looked like he was trying so hard to do his defensive duties he offered nothing much going forward. He did okay and was trying. But not great for sure. We were just bloody stupid last 20. Jabba the Kettle was obviously looking to drag himself into the limelight. And stupidly we gave him the opportunity. We should have been professional just to see it out at 3 up with no mither. 

But we won. Just wish the Vale would stop destroying my finger nails.

It's easy to criticise players for getting booked "In the heat of the battle" and if the referee is seen to be inconsistent then in my mind it's easy to get drawn into making rash decisions.
Kettle is renowned as a poor referee amongst a lot of clubs supporters, the problem is the games authorities wont do anything about him because they like to support their staff and all referees work on the premise that they dont make mistakes.

As soon as it was announced Kettle was the ref we knew what would happen- as do any fans / clubs that get him. It is so well known what a prat he is, so I really don’t get how he is still reffing

5 minutes ago, MBE said:

Clarke - Agree stupidity

Pope - There midfielder  has gone down, it was a nothing in it. He fell on the floor and no its not a yellow if you square up to someone on a football pitch without raising your arms. Pope's reacted but really warrants a 2nd yellow? 

Our Penalty - all day long

Their penalty -  never in a million years. Joyce never even makes a challenge  - he wasn't even close enough to block him the player off let alone foul him.

No he didn't his 4 big decisions right.

Kettle was crap all game.To say the free kicks he gave to FGR, in particular the 2nd half period where dubious is an understatement. He couldn't wait to get his cards out,yet when we where fouled he never saw it.1st half Legge gets poleaxed he does nothing, 2nd half Brisley takes an elbow after being jumped into and he does nothing. 

How this guy is still a league official is beyond me.

Its 100% a yellow card for walking over to a player in the floor and leaning in to make contact with your head against their head.

I don't know why its the case but it is. If you lean in with your head like that, especially if the player isn't even retaliating, its a booking.

Joyce definitely tangled his legs as I look at the replay. Not intentional but clumsy.

Fundamentally we played in Kettle's card-happy nature by lacking discipline in the last 20, but I put more blame on us than for Kettle for (rightly) cautioning and dismissing players.

Despite this, I come away even more positive than I was before. We looked class at times tonight.

6 minutes ago, Joe B said:

1) Fundamentally we played in Kettle's card-happy nature by lacking discipline in the last 20, but I put more blame on us 

2) Despite this, I come away even more positive than I was before. We looked class at times tonight.

1) Agree

2) I didn't think we played that well to be honest. In patches maybe. That pitch was a right joke. End of the day job done. 

It's more the collateral damage done for Sat that is more of a worry.

12 minutes ago, toyahw said:

1) Agree

2) I didn't think we played that well to be honest. In patches maybe. That pitch was a right joke. End of the day job done. 

It's more the collateral damage done for Sat that is more of a worry.

Have you forgiven Joe B for being REP even though he isn’t REP then? 😂

For the first 10 or 15 mins they got at us and we were sloppy, they certainly should have done better when their guy had a long range shot instead of slipping in the player overlapping him down the left side who was unmarked. They also created a couple of decent half chances too. But after that we took control and absolutely played them off the pitch and we looked really good at times. A big factor in that was Monty injuring their right winger who looked a handful. But the right side was definitely working better than the left side and that’s why I bang on so much about us having to start with Gibbo and Clark as full backs (when they are available). A proper full back makes the right runs for his winger and just as importantly usually knows when not to go and leave their winger one on one instead of killing their space.

I can’t believe this was the same Forest Green side who I thought looked really good when we beat them at home, tonight they were terrible, a shadow of that side from earlier in the season. At 3-0 we were cruising. I must admit to not having the best view for our peno, looked a little bit like a dive to me, but I’m happy to be proved wrong when I see it properly. Theirs looked a soft peno too and after that we imploded a bit. Clark’s was needless, but we’ve seen that from an inexperienced Gibbo when he first broke into the side, but also didn’t we also see Pugh and Tonge do it a couple of seasons ago too. In the heat of the moment it happens and I’m sure he’ll learn from it. But a 3 game ban is costly to us. Popes didn’t have to happen either, you see that so often, a player goes down easy and the opposition player has a go for diving, but you don’t always see a yellow card for it. But Kettle couldn’t wait to brandish the card. In fact I don’t understand why as they game wore on he just went card mad. I thought the same of the ref at Northampton too. On the subject of inconsistency Browne brought a player down in front of us on the halfway line as he was getting away from him, no card. Pope does the same thing and it’s a card.

Overall that’s a great win for us and until the last 20 mins I was enjoying it. We just need others in the squad to step up now and fill the gaps left by Clark and Popes bans. On a positive note Manny looked strong tonight for that brief cameo. 

38 minutes ago, blackdog said:

It's easy to criticise players for getting booked "In the heat of the battle" and if the referee is seen to be inconsistent then in my mind it's easy to get drawn into making rash decisions.

Kettle is renowned as a poor referee amongst a lot of clubs supporters, the problem is the games authorities wont do anything about him because they like to support their staff and all referees work on the premise that they dont make mistakes.

Yes, and if anyone, a manager or coach or player, says anything they don't like, it's a charge for bringing the game into disrepute when, after displays like tonight, and myriads of other ridiculous decisions by the authorities, it's they who are bringing it into disrepute.

Time after time.

12 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Have you forgiven Joe B for being REP even though he isn’t REP then? 😂

Doesn't really matter does it? Good result for us, as I am sure JB will agree. End of the day we're all Vale. I could really do without the stress though. Talking about the game here. Joe B is Joe B. no problem. 

He can be REP or my Aunt with a penis. We are all Vale at the end of the day. 

Isn’t Clark a one game ban as it wasn’t violent conduct.

Stupid tackle, even stupider when you look at the area of the pitch it happened in with a two goal lead away from home and only minutes left. Didn’t need to make it!

Penalty again was a poor one to concede as he was going nowhere!

Popes first yellow seemed harsh as it just seemed their lads trailing leg as he ran caught Popes shin rather than intentional, common sense sees the second not given, he’s voiced his opinion to the player nothing in it but this is Kettle who gave us little all night.

That’s the negatives but now for the positives...

Great performance for much of the game and looked full of confidence and again solid at the back and hard to get past. Clarke did well, Brisley again solid which sees Smudge bench warming... unthinkable weeks ago. Worrall full of energy and Monty did well.

Good to see Pope get a couple as he hasn’t been at it enough this season and a shame he will miss Colchester as his physical presence may be needed against them.

FGR looked like us at home last season, zero confidence and although a few decent passages they were gone once we went ahead.

Huge result as we’ve drawn Colchester and Northampton into our cross hairs now so no longer three or four sides chasing seventh but five after three places so more chances to get in there, by winning we’ve also opened a big gap to FGR in 10th and a huge 10 point gap to 11th.

Big game at the weekend now... win that and then it’s two very winnable games which we finally need to show our metal in... we are well in this battle at the moment and it’s there for the taking if we keep this great form post Xmas up. 21 points since December 29th is remarkable. (10 league games) repeat that over the next ten we’ve probably done enough.

Archived