onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Guardian Article about PL1 and PL2

Houston Valiant

Advert

26 minutes ago, Houston Valiant said:

Can't open the link but basically the Guardian reporter is saying that the Championship might need to break away from the EFL and slim down to attract the audience it deserves globally.

So in other words the rest of you can go forth and multiply.

The link does work now, 

just a journalist re-cycling an old story. Flip through the comments for some sense." Can you see the Prem sharing their riches into a Prem 1 & 2 with 18 teams in each? "   " Although the Prem  maybe dull and predictable the Championship is not"  " If it is not broke don't fix it" . are predictable.

4 hours ago, Emile said:

Solution is the top four <ovf censored> off and join a euro league. Then we rebuild the league's properly and greed can go form a superleague that I would watch if someone paid me. 

This is at least as much to do with international broadcasting as anything else. I spend 80% of my time in The Stans, The Middle East and about 15% further East. Clubs like Derby and Stoke are deluding themselves if they think there is a market to watch a game between the pair of them in Uzbekistan. There is a market for Liverpool, United, Man City (recent), Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs. Most people in these countries struggle to comprehend you support any club other than those 6. I do have a Saudi friend who supports MK Dons, goes to see them play 7 or 8 times a year, watches matches on IPlayer and knows who Port Vale are but he is very much the exception. As long as money is important for success you won't take greed out of football. If those teams pulled out of domestic football TV revenue would take a massive hit. Certainly club revenue and player wages would fall. Clubs would still take financial risk for promotion. My personal view is there should be a salary cap per league similar to rugby. That would also guarantee the competitivness of each league. That won't happen until there is a major financial crisis with several clubs going under in one season.

2 hours ago, JRC said:

This is at least as much to do with international broadcasting as anything else. I spend 80% of my time in The Stans, The Middle East and about 15% further East. Clubs like Derby and Stoke are deluding themselves if they think there is a market to watch a game between the pair of them in Uzbekistan. There is a market for Liverpool, United, Man City (recent), Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs. Most people in these countries struggle to comprehend you support any club other than those 6. I do have a Saudi friend who supports MK Dons, goes to see them play 7 or 8 times a year, watches matches on IPlayer and knows who Port Vale are but he is very much the exception. As long as money is important for success you won't take greed out of football. If those teams pulled out of domestic football TV revenue would take a massive hit. Certainly club revenue and player wages would fall. Clubs would still take financial risk for promotion. My personal view is there should be a salary cap per league similar to rugby. That would also guarantee the competitivness of each league. That won't happen until there is a major financial crisis with several clubs going under in one season.

This.....I have lived and worked in those Stan areas for the last 7 years and JRC's comment about Sjoke v Derby in Uzbekistan made me smile. I was there for 4 years and never tired of telling taxi drivers who my team was after they had run through the whole range of Premier league teams they "supported".

1 hour ago, Wrex said:

So "break free" of the EFL and join the Premier League as a second tier? Would this be the Premier that the big name teams complain of too many fixtures and regularly threaten to go off to create a break away Euro league?

I'm not sure the big 6 want a Premier League 2 as it will dilute their share of the revenue further. Their ultimate goal is to be like Barcelona and control the TV rights around the world for home games. The issue is TV rights are driven by a small number of clubs with an international profile. Although the Premier League is a global brand it relies on even stronger brands which are a very small group of clubs. 

What a poor piece of yet more lazy and ill informed sports journalism. Amongst many stereotypical views, this in particular caught my eye.

“Does League Two really need to be fully professional? Might it and the National League benefit from merging before splitting into northern and southern divisions? Should neighbouring clubs share grounds and training facilities” ?

Old idea’s spouted by a journalist who clearly hasn’t got the foggiest idea about what goes on in a football fans head. 

Vale sharing with Stoke ? Yeah, that’s obviously going to happen isn’t it. 

I agree with Emile and RR. These topics have all been discussed previously and it’s all about the Championship clubs taking more money out of the game, especially the seasoned challengers that always fall short of promotion.

Its about time the EFL got some teeth and looked after the lower league teams to help preserve them for the future fans. The bottom line is the EFL are not fit for purpose.

Poor journalism IMO, and if the likes of Leeds aren’t happy, then tell them to find another league to go and play in. The big EPL teams now get more cash from overseas as they stated more ppl would be inclined to watch one of them, than Burnley,Norwich, West Ham and other such teams. Pure greed and that’s why I have no interest in the EPL,Championship or the England national team.Just give me PVFC who can either make my weekend or frustrate the living daylights out of me, proper nogger. Still I’d imagine that there are teams below us who say we take too much money out of the game.

4 hours ago, ClntonBoulton said:

This.....I have lived and worked in those Stan areas for the last 7 years and JRC's comment about Sjoke v Derby in Uzbekistan made me smile. I was there for 4 years and never tired of telling taxi drivers who my team was after they had run through the whole range of Premier league teams they "supported".

With the usual cracks "Who" or "I suppose someone has to"

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

With the usual cracks "Who" or "I suppose someone has to"

Definitely not the latter......but plenty of the former especially with furrowed brows.....so I go into a lot of depth describing which league we are in and the set up in English football.....they're not interested and it makes for quiet trip....which I like.

On the other side of that coin I was with a group of mates skiing in the Italian Dolomites. We were in a tiny little village and went into a bar. Talk got round to football and the barman said "Who is your team?" I reply Port Vale and he says without batting an eye lid....play at Vale Park, black and white kit, big rivals with Stoke City and went onto name managers and a few players of the era, mid 80's. It turned out he was an avid reader of all things about English football and took great pride in remembering facts. Made my night and we had a few more in his bar!

1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

I agree with Emile and RR. These topics have all been discussed previously and it’s all about the Championship clubs taking more money out of the game, especially the seasoned challengers that always fall short of promotion.

Its about time the EFL got some teeth and looked after the lower league teams to help preserve them for the future fans. The bottom line is the EFL are not fit for purpose.

Poor journalism IMO, and if the likes of Leeds aren’t happy, then tell them to find another league to go and play in. The big EPL teams now get more cash from overseas as they stated more ppl would be inclined to watch one of them, than Burnley,Norwich, West Ham and other such teams. Pure greed and that’s why I have no interest in the EPL,Championship or the England national team.Just give me PVFC who can either make my weekend or frustrate the living daylights out of me, proper nogger. Still I’d imagine that there are teams below us who say we take too much money out of the game.

Leeds have a reasonable uk support base although nowhere near the 70s when they had a lot of supporters around Stoke. Internationally they haven't got a base because they haven't spent long enough in the top flight since the big TV roll outs. I think they over estimate their market worth. Some of the clubs pushing this confuse a large local following and history with what overseas television watchers want to pay for.

9 hours ago, JRC said:

Meanwhile,yesterday the PL secured a new big TV deal with Nordic Entertainment Group worth £2 billion over a six-year period.

Archived